What actually happened?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 8, 2016.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Malecon Cancun was one of the nicer places to go in Cancun for walking, riding a bike, doing some exercises, having a drink at the edge of the lagoon Nichupte with the setting sun at your back or, as in my wife's case, practicing driving on fine roads with little traffic.

The developed area was large and the view of the lagoon spectacular, full on 180 degrees; the public park aspect of it was beautiful, and open to all. A small, open air Catholic Church under a canvas pavilion offered solace of a different sort.

Now, the desolation of destruction hangs heavy over it, with vehicular access blocked, in some cases with large stones and in other cases with gates, and the mangroves that were there are now ripped out, leaving the area exposed and an open sore to the eye. This occurred in the six months I was abroad, making it just that much more shocking to see.

I visited the area tonight, in the dwindling light, making it seem that much more forlorn. What happened, actually?

2. El Guero

El Guero Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Remarkable that there is no response to this by any resident. . .

3. NC Gal

NC Gal Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We went for a walk there two evenings ago. Things were as I described, you can still walk in but the park like area at water's edge is no longer being maintained and patrolled, so it is perhaps just a little riskier to go there in late evening. The church seemed not to be functioning any longer. Some, like us, ventured in and enjoyed the view at lagoon-side. Oddly, the street lights came on as the light dimmed....

Visiting there, now, is roughly akin to taking a six pack and your lawn chairs and climbing to the tenth floor of an abandoned building to enjoy the view.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice