Whale Shark Snorkel Tour Questions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Samaman, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Samaman

Samaman Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is my understanding that EP Whale Shark Snorkel Tours that originate from Cancun include transportation to Playa Del Carmen, but if you are staying in Playa Del Carmen it is an extra $10 per person. Please explain? Would it be more cost effective to book a tour from Playa Del Carmen?

2. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I understand your question correctly, there are no whale sharks near Playa del Carmen, you have to go to Cancun, Isla Mujeres or Isla Holbox.

3. regdog

regdog Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    If you thw whale shark tour is something you feel strong about you should just stay at Isla Holbox.....You have a better chance of completing your mission.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    That's correct as usual Laura!

The $10 extra per person covers the extra transportation required since Playa to Cancun is an 80 mile round trip.

Whale shark bookings can be made at:
    http://www.entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/tour.asp?code=WHALESHARK&affid=1088

5. Trina

Trina Cancuncare Staff Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    They are seeing Whale Sharks everyday now. The tour leaves from Puerto Juarez, just north of Cancun.

6. Samaman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you all for the information. We will be staying at The Grand Mayan - Riviera Maya, May 24 - May 31, 2014 (25th wedding gift from my parents who own a timeshare and RCI exchange). We thought it would be really cool to swim and snorkel with the giant whale sharks, will this be an option during our stay?

This is our 25th wedding anniversary and we have never been to Mexico or on a vacation in our 25 years of marriage. We are really looking forward to our trip.

I will book the whale shark trip through the link provided by Steve.

Please let me know if there is any other must do recommendations that you would suggest besides the following that we are already planning (Xcaret, Cenote Chaak Tun w/ Guide, Coba Mayan Village and Chichen Itza). What priority would you recommend for the previously mentioned.

We also want to do a scuba diving day trip and will be certified prior to our arrival in Mexico, any suggestions (Is DiveMex a reputable diving company?).

Thanks so much in advance. Dave

7. Trina

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yes, you have a very good chance of seeing the Whale Sharks at the end of May. I would book that for your last available day here.

For your other tours, I would rank them as follows:
    1 Chichen Itza
    2 Xcaret
    3 Coba Mayan Village
    4 Cenote Chaak Tun w/ Guide

This is just my opinion. Since Chichen Itza is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World, it gets my #1 spot.

For Scuba diving, I really like Scuba Cancun. They have the best staff and their prices are very reasonable. If you are going to get certified, you may want to just do the classroom / pool practice in your home town, then do the ocean dives here. It's called referral Course or Check Out Dives. Just bring your referral letter from the Dive shop back home.
    Check out their programs here.

8. Samaman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Trina, does Scuba Cancun operate out of Playa Del Carmen also? We are staying at The Grand Mayan and I believe that it is closer to Playa. I also heard that the scuba diving is better in Playa. Please advise and thanks for all of the information. Dave

9. Trina

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Scuba Cancun is based out of Cancun, but they offer trips to Cozumel to dive there. The diving in Cozumel is by far the best...Cancun 2nd. They don't even offer a Playa dive. I don't know if that is because there are dive shops in Playa to compete with or that the diving is not good. If you are staying at Grand Maya I would suggest a dive trip to Cozumel or Cancun.

Let me know if you want some help setting it up. If you do dive in Playa, we would love a trip report. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice