Weed

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by sunbabes, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadynTramp

LadynTramp I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 6
    Steve........shut it down!

2. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2

For one thing , it,s still illegal in a lot of counties ,,, ( for now)

3. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    why....?

4. Southerncpl

Southerncpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to call you out on this. Up to 5g is legal for personal use. The case last year was just a major stepping stone to full legalization. I can't find anything to the contrary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MandZ

MandZ Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 1
    Call me out on what? I said the laws have not changed due to the case the OP cited. And they haven't. 5 grams and under has been legal since 09, the case the OP is talking about is recent.

If the OP wants to argue semantics of a law in a foreign country with cops that are blatantly corrupt, go ahead. I dont care either way, although this discussion is interesting.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Tried it once when I was 19, made me sick, never tried it again or had any interest in following the legal debate.

But my understanding is (it could be wrong but is similar to MandZ's view).

Small amounts are legal to possess - not sure the amount but 5 grams seems reasonable. Selling is not legal.

The recent court judgment does only apply to the four plaintiffs who brought the case. It has not been put into law.

That said one should bear the following in mind:

- the hotel has signs saying no drugs, whether Marijuana is legal or illegal is immaterial. They don't want drugs there, as is their right as a private premises.

- in Mexico you are guilty until proven innocent. That is something that will not change (at least in our lifetime). If caught in possession be prepared to languish in jail while your stash is sent off to the official lab to be weighed to see if it is more or less than 5 grams. Don't be surprised if it turns out it has been magically added to, or that the lab has 'a lot of work' and can't weigh it until a week on Friday.

A friend and I were once randomly stopped and searched for drugs late one night, there was no reason to suggest we had any (we didn't, but I was worried they might plant some). It was scary and not something I would wish anyone to go through, especially if they did have some on them.

Re closing the thread, I think legality and hotel view is a subject that can be debated. I've stopped threads in the past where people have asked where is the best place to buy it so let's not go down that line. Also if it turns into a pro/anti legal discussion then it will be moved to the Free For All section.

7. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    I agree....very interesting.
    Some very Well thought out and presented viewpoints.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    It has been banned in restaurants/ bars etc for maybe 8 years (?) Public areas - bus stops, the street, the beach etc no.

The only exception for bars and restaurants is if they have an open air area (like Paty O's), or a completely enclosed 'smoking room' with a door. None have smoking rooms as far as I know.

9. sunbabes

sunbabes Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure Mexican Federales hang out on travel sites looking to bust people who show up and get trace amounts.. seems a little paranoid in this liberal age.

10. sunbabes

sunbabes Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Donald... just borrowing your profile name as "Devil's Advocate" for a moment to explore your comment. ;)

It's illegal in FAR fewer countries than you might think and legal in Far more. Even in Washington DC city itself its now legal.

Canada will be the first of the G8 countries to legalize it this year with the change in government there.... and I know there are many Canadians who travel to TTR and would like to get assurances that they can partake in what will be a legal Canadian product while in other countries.

It's understandable that people will want to cling to old thinking on this substance, but the War on Drugs has been declared a failure by the UN and many, many world leaders for some time now and this is the reason for global change.

From 5 days ago:

'World Leaders Call Upcoming UN Special Session An "Historic Opportunity" to End Failed War on Drugs

Kofi Annan, Richard Branson and Former Presidents of Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, and Others Release Public Statement that Current Agenda Does Not Go Far Enough to Ending Worldwide Human Rights, Public Health and Security Crisis"

"2016 United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) on drugs -- a meeting of all UN member states to evaluate the current state of international drug control. The UNGASS is taking place in New York from April 19-21 and is the first such meeting in 18 years.

"We are driven by a sense of urgency,” said Fernando Henrique Cardoso, Former President of Brazil and Chair of the Global Commission. “There is widespread acknowledgment that the current system is not working, but also recognition that change is both necessary and achievable. We are convinced that the 2016 UNGASS is an historic opportunity to discuss the shortcomings of the drug control regime and identify workable alternatives."

The Global Commission today called the proposed outcome document for UNGASS (currently being negotiated in Vienna) “long on rhetoric, but short on substance” with “no hard solutions.”
    The Commission also urges governments to put “people’s health, safety and human rights first.”

According to the statement, this includes:

Ending the criminalization and incarceration of drug users;
    Abolishing capital punishment for drug-related offences;
    Empowering the World Health Organization (WHO) to review the scheduling system of drugs on the basis of scientific evidence;
    Ensuring a broad spectrum of treatments for dependent people and services designed to reduce the harms of drugs; and
    Allowing governments to apply different approaches to drug regulation in order to maximize public health and disempower organized crime

The Commission believes that global drug prohibition has not only failed to achieve its originally stated objectives of eradicating drug production and consumption, it has also generated alarming social and health problems.

The UN itself has identified some of the impacts of hardline approaches to drug prohibition including:

The creation of an illegal, criminal market worth at least $US 320 billion per year;
    dangerous “balloon effects” during which production or traffic is interrupted, only to be increased in a different territory or route;
    and a lack of access to controlled medicines for 75 percent of the world´s population"

World Leaders Call Upcoming UN Special Session An "Historic Opportunity" to End Failed War on Drugs | Drug Policy Alliance

Harry Anslinger (the architect of American weed prohibition) has been dead for over 40 years.. .so should his outmoded ideas on how Mexico (and the rest of the world) should run its own country.

"Reefer makes darkies think they as good as white men," said Ainslinger, "... the primary reason to outlaw marijuana IS ITS EFFECTS ON THE DEGENERATE RACES."

"To make sure nobody missed the point he offered this profile of the average toker:"

"... most are Negros,Hispanics,Filipinos and entertainers.
    Their Satanic music,jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use.
    This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negros, entertainers and any others"

-----1937 Congressional Hearings on the taxation of Marijuana

The Devil Weed and Harry J Anslinger

Clearly the time for oppressing people for personal consumption choices, while championing the perverse use of alcohol is over and that bigotry should end as well.

All this is from our GREAT GREAT grand fathers generation of thinking... why continue the foolishness and perpetuate the oppression with our thoughts and actions?

It's clear the weed winds are a-changin'!

Enjoy your new found freedoms in safety and happiness.. isn't that what life is all about?

:)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice