Weed

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by sunbabes, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunbabes

sunbabes Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With the recent changes in Mexican law, has there been any change in the policy regarding marijuana in REAL TERMS.

With its impending legalization, one would think it more freely available.

2. Southerncpl

Southerncpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Every time I've been it's been very easy to find dirt weed, or more often, fake - but only through friends that live there could I find anything worth more than $1.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,167 / 7
    Since drugs are illegal...The hotel has a posted "Zero Drug Tolerance" signs around. And I have heard they don't mess around if you are caught. Asking a hotel employee is probably your worst option.

Also, I have heard Cancun "lawn-clippings" are so bad, and not worth it, that people even roll it up with tobacco just to make it better. It probably isn't worth your time or effort to even worry about it down there.

I would also imagine Steve wouldn't like it talked about so blatantly on the board. So maybe you can change your title of your thread to some code words ;)

4. Southerncpl

Southerncpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Good points. I guess I have a hard time thinking of it as illegal anymore!

5. sunbabes

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Since drugs are illegal...The hotel has a posted "Zero Drug Tolerance" signs around. And I have heard they don't mess around if you are caught. Asking a hotel employee is probably your worst option.
    I would also imagine Steve wouldn't like it talked about so blatantly on the board. So maybe you can change your title of your thread to some code words"

Good information, but outdated...and kind of the point of the post.

In the OP i Posted that the law has changed in Mexico since November 2015 when the Mexican Supreme Court declared the it was unconstitutional to prohibit marijuana for personal use.

Mexico supreme court rules ban on marijuana use unconstitutional | World news | The Guardian

The president of Mexico has been quoted in January 2016 as saying we should not assume its automatically now legal, but that the police are not to enforce any personal possession arrests while the legalization and response to the Supreme Court are reviewed.

It seems clear that Mexico will join many countries where this product is now fully legal.

Now we get to the hotel's role in this. Its understandable that signs have been posted and that the hotel HAD a zero tolerance policy on drugs... mimicking the American views.

However if we break your original comment.... "Drugs are illegal" to no longer apply to weed, then it follows that the hotel and its associated security would have no standing to be able to prohibit the personal possession of the product, particularly in light of Federal Directives.

As many have pointed out the street cop is often quite willing to press the tourists on this and intimidate them.

It would be useful to have legal protection from various overeager enforcement agents while this product makes its way to full legalization.

It's very clear that the guests interest to be able to protected from spurious arrest and that the hotel should revise its policy when a drug is NO LONGER illegal; AS IS THE CASE IN MEXICO TODAY.

Weed is NOT an illegal drug anymore.

Why would anyone have a problem with "blatantly" discussing this topic as I have done in a fair and open way... its a completely legal and legitimate discussion about the resort and its policies and guest protection.

I had many discussions around resorts in Jamaica on the same issue when it became legal there in 2014, now its Mexico's turn.

Or would you prefer to hide in the shadows like we are all are doing something wrong?

Seems old skool thinking to keep that old chestnut going.

I respectfully reject your suggestion, however well intended to use code words to discuss this topic.. after all it's 2016 and we don't need to live in fear of being hassled on vacay. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  6. sunbabes

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

As you can see from my post, its NOT illegal anymore.. time for a change in hotel policy to protect guests from being hassled for possession of marijuana.

7. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,167 / 7
    Well thank you for the update, my apologizes for not doing enough background research in Mexican drug law before responding. So having it is legal, but is buying it also legal? I believe that's normally how these things start out. It gets decriminalized, but you still can't buy it from Crazy Eddie on the street corner.

Also, I get the impression that the police in Mexico do whatever they want. So the statement "I know my rights man, this is legal". Still isn't going to stop them from locking you up and holding you for a couple of days while you wait for a defender or they wait for a bribe to let you out.

Just seems like more risk then reward to me in foreign territory.

Obviously if your saying it's legal, then my points of talking it in the open or using code words are mute. But I didn't know that when I said it, I did read that you said the law changed, but I wasn't going to be doing any research on that on my work computer. And don't know how Steve feels about it, guess I was just being on the safe side.

8. sunbabes

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Appreciate you might not have known of the recent changes... they are happening everywhere these days.
    The Mexican Supreme court's decision is not based upon sale of product, but upon a Mexican's right to self expression and development.... the assumption about sales would seem incorrect.

Here is some additional information for those who might be interested in this topic and where things stand.

For those who know the management of the hotel well, at some point a conversation needs to take place so that they adjust to the times.

Like many hotels, they will likely try to hold onto the status quo, but when the hotel is on the wrong side of federal laws they will need to adapt.

Why Mexico's Supreme Court Declared Marijuana Use a Human Right - The Atlantic

"The high court’s decision was based not on marijuana’s effects on public health or impact on incarceration rates, but on fundamental human rights. In that respect, it’s pretty precedent-setting globally.

This particular case was brought by four members of the Mexican Society for Responsible and Tolerant Consumption (or SMART, in Spanish). The group first filed a legal petition demanding the right to grow, own, and use marijuana in 2013—a petition that was initially denied but later appealed to the Supreme Court. SMART was in part driven by a Desire to reduce Mexico’s rampant drug-related violence, according to The Wall Street Journal; as Armando Santacruz, one of the plaintiffs, told the paper, “We aren’t a bunch of dope heads.” Another plaintiff reportedly doesn’t even smoke marijuana, and doesn’t expect to start anytime soon."

This argument is fleshed out in a court document posted to SMART’s website, wherein the group makes the case that using marijuana is just one way for individuals to differentiate themselves from the rest of society, and that since the Mexican constitution protects the individual’s right to be unique and independent, the state cannot infringe upon that right when the consequences of marijuana consumption—be they positive or negative—only affect the individual who chooses to use the drug. “The imposition of a single standard of healthy living is not admissible in a liberal state, which bases its existence on the recognition of human uniqueness and independence,” the plaintiffs contended. Or, as Aguinaco explained to Fusion, “The state cannot prohibit you from eating a bunch of tacos because it’s bad for your health.”

Still, this first Supreme Court decision does not by itself legalize marijuana throughout Mexico.

In order for marijuana to become defacto legal, the Supreme Court would have to deliver similar rulings at least four more times—the process by which same-sex marriage was legalized in Mexico earlier this year.
    The national legislature could also legalize marijuana of its own accord, if legislators so choose.

The national legislature is currently reviewing its options on full legalization and expects to report in June.

Since this is a grey area today, it would make a lot of sense for the hotel to look the other way (as they have lost any moral mandate to base enforcement) during this period if only from a customer service perspective.

9. knowwhatimean

knowwhatimean Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +981 / 0
    Does the risk of going to a Mexican jail out weigh the crappy high from dirt weed? Doesn't sound like the juice is worth the squeeze to me! If it's in a gray area still in Mexico then it doesn't sound like its worth it to me...

10. MandZ

MandZ Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 1
    Sunbabes appears to be wrong. The legal decision only applied to a petition filed, it did nothing to effect current drug laws. In order to do that the justices in the criminals court chamber will have to rule the same way, as a majority, 5 times, OR 8 out of the 11 wulill have to rule in favor of it.

While this may set off the legalization of marijuana, no laws have actually changed. You can be arrested, extorted, etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice