We were robbed :(

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Mar 17, 2009.

1. YessicaBB

YessicaBB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry

Really sorry to hear what happened.

Thank god you are all safe and nearly everything else can be replaced.

Did you have insurance? really just an question to inquiry is household content insurance worth the money in Mexico.

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, Steve. Sorry to hear about the robbery--really is a bummer and makes you feel bad inside not to mention all of the info lost. Mentioning insurance, I get it on my downtown home fro only about $2,000 pesos a year. Just keep a digipic and serial number of stuff on file with the company and even covers water damage. Hope you get some of it back anyway.

3. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve I can't agree more with the others, that sucks.
    Dude sometimes things happen and sometimes they don't.
    My daughter is always busting my chops for taking a nap with the windows open (These are the typical slated windows). And then she turns around and comes home late and doesen't even lock th door.
    My advice to people is this is like any other city in the world, If you got them lock them if not Home depot is right down the street.
    I had a guy reach in the window to steal Aida's purse (Which was really stupid considering the purse wsa twice the size of the window and the security bars). Next to the door I have a club made of "Chichen" (The hardest wood in the world). Let's just say he didn't walk away happy. That was 4 years ago. No problems since.
    Cancun or even Mexico is no more dangerous than Clevland or London.
    My daughter and Aida parked in front of the American Hospital on Bonampak and came out to find the window busted and the Stereo gone, was anyoune hurt? Thank God no. That is all that really matters.

4. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to see you got robbed Steve, that's really crap!
    :evil:

5. ACBUD420

ACBUD420 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear about that Steve --- I'm glad you two are okay though.

Hopefully the police guy will figure something out and whoever broke in will be arrested.

Keep us posted.

6. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear about the robbery, Steve. I have a cable lock on my laptop at all times and it has saved my laptop from being stolen more than once. One time the thieves tried to cut the cable using knives and tools in the apartment, to no avail. Right now there is a metal loop on the wall for hammocks that I run the cable through. Other times I've used a window bar or even the big, bulky desk that would at least slow them down as they'd have to destroy or steal the desk to free the cable. I bought mine in the U.S. for about $20 USD. Not sure where you'd buy one in Cancun, but I'd try Radio Shack.

7. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I forgot to mention... The packaging for the cable said it's not immune to bolt cutters, but it's resistant to bolt cutters and would take some time to cut it. It would at least slow someone down, even if they have bolt cutters.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yes, I'll definitely be getting a cable lock, I saw they have 3 different brands at Sears in Plaza Americas. They did use bolt cutters to get in in the first place, cutting through either side of the padlock but like you say slowing them down is better than nothing. We've now got a ton of extra locks and an alarm set up. Hopefully it wont happen again.

9. ChadD

ChadD Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow Steve, that sucks. Hopefully you'll at least get the value back out of it, even though it's kind of hard to replace a wedding ring, but then again, my sister-in-law bought herself a new one, so I guess some women don't care THAT much about it. But thank God your family is ok.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice