We are building a house in Cancun - any one else done this??

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by elleboogs, Oct 31, 2008.

1. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah - probably way too big!!! Oh well, you have the experience of building, and when you move here - you'll know where to start!!!

Ohhh a BOAT! I'd love a boat. I think I should work on the house first! LOL - earlier i posted the size, and just to confirm I meant 2800 sq.ft of construction! I left that out - hehe :idea:

We are looking at building - then hopefully starting a family soon!!! My husbands "immediate" family live in Cancun for the most part. Now that we are 27 and 28 - this is the time we want to think about adding the nursery...so a boat will have to wait!!!

Sounds like an electrical nightmare , with wires loose and such :?: That would definitely be a bad time to be constructing a house in a different country - sorry about your father...

On a side note... Do you know how to add a pic to your profile? I am trying to do it, and just can't seem to see where it's done!

Oh and just curious - how many months did it take to build your place???

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    To add a picture to your profile just attach a photo to an email and send it to me steve@cancuncare and I'll fix it up for you.

Looks like we could be neighbours at some point in the future, we already have some land in Alamos and intend to build at some point - it's still Jungle at the moment. Haven't been out there for 6 months or so, we really ought to go take a look and see how how things are coming along nearby.

Reading this thread having a house built is somewhat daunting. I mean it's fine if you actually know what you're checking for and know how it should be done - but I'm about the least handy handyman there is and have no idea how to wire a house, what the plumbing should be etc. I'm sure I'd get walked all over.

3. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the response Steve!!! I'll send that your way! Appreciate it!

Sooo - yes, if you end up in Alamos we will most likely be neighbours!! There are more lots available there, than Colegios. So I'm thinking that is where we will end up!! It's STILL a jungle in most parts where land is available!! I just want a half decent road until the rest becomes developed after we move in, is that too much to ask!! Hahaha :D

We were going to buy in Santa Fe Plus - however, think/know we can get a lot more bang for our peso building!! It's just going to take some patience!!! :D

I haven't the faintest idea how to build, nor am I artistic or handy by any means!!! I mean I can cook, clean and I know what I want....Getting there will be up to my husband!!

4. escondida

escondida Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We were constructing our house this year. We have bought a terreno between doctores and Lagos del sol, called Santa Ana.
    We have made our plans of the house by ourselves, you don´t need an arquitect or any permission, since the terrenos are ejidal. So we hired a group of albañiles. The house has 2 stocks and a total of 180 square meters garage included. The albañil group was building it in 3 month totally for 135.000 pesos. We have bought our material in San Lazaro Materials on the road and near the entry to Doctores. The material was about 180.000 pesos. It´s obra negra, without pisos and windows etc., only the pure construction. My husband knows a lot about construction so he was supervising the albañil-group. And we made a fix-price, not an hour-based-price. It´s important, in case of hour-based the albañiles need much more time to build your house. The material in San Lazaro were the cheapest one. If you buy your material trough your architect or contractor you will pay much more :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice