Water Sports

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Jessica, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Pat369

Pat369 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Might have to check that out, I haven't ever been on one so why not!

2. LEMO

LEMO Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +353 / 0
    It really is great fun. And a relaxing break from the pool.

One thing though... you need wind. We were there over Halloween and it was our first trip with no wind. None. We went by every morning to talk to Jose and the other water sports guys. They have an app they use that helps with predicting good wind for sailing. And the whole week... nothing. Until the day we were checking out. And unfortunately we had an early flight and couldn’t get out on the water.

3. Pat369

Pat369 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Ahh that's a bummer, but that is usually how it goes for me. The best weather or in your case the weather you needed only shows up on your last day! I've had pretty good luck with vacations in September so hopefully I can keep that trend going! I might try and get on the water before I go so I can be somewhat prepared but then again, where is the fun in that?

4. Jason and Debi CO

Jason and Debi CO Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +557 / 2
    We have been sailing since the Reno, always fun. Started with them teaching us, then doing it ourselves. The less windy days can be good for beginners as it keeps the speeds down. The guys are great to go out with, we just give them a nice tip at the end.. Super views from the water you can't get from the resort.

5. RedSkiBums

RedSkiBums Guru Registered Member

Some town in the hinterland of BC, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1,415 / 8
    A few years ago we tried the SUP's, our first time ever, and liked it enough we now have our own. As others have mentioned, getting out on the water (SUP or Cat) is a great way to chill out, get a bit of exercise, and some decent views. Keeping wind speed/direction and your skill/fitness level in mind is crucial, when we first went out we were astounded at how far we drifted with the wind and how tough the paddle was to get back. Another couple were out on them at the same, she was clearly struggling after paddling beyond the shelter of the docks and got flipped off a few times. Fortunately she stayed horizontal on it before the wind took her between the hulls of a big catamaran (not Steve's). Someone helped them both, unhurt but scared, get the boards onto the dock and they did a long walk of shame along the beach to return the board. That has to be up there for the strangest TTR walk of shame ever.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,165 / 7
    One of my fondest TTR memories was the time I swore up and down how good a sense of balance I have, and that doing the stand up paddle board would not be a problem for me, even in my current tequila state.

Well I had to put my money where my mouth was, and it ended in everyone at the premier bar turning towards the ocean to watch one of the most unstable drunken idiots fall 20+ times in 3 minutes. Guess I just needed to provide my special dose of free SteveO entertainment for all.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. Jason and Debi CO

Jason and Debi CO Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +557 / 2
    Yeah when we go out with the hoby cat it's no biggie leaving the resort and getting out on the water. But coming back in may take a couple tries. The wind and water movement means you need to shoot pretty far one way to literally drift into the correct area to park the cat again. Good couples therapy as you try to figure it out. Heck 1 time we could see a T-storm coming and got a little nervous. Jose and another guest weren't sure we would make it, but we did. Again the movement of the wind and water need to be compensated for on the cats.

8. SUPnSun

SUPnSun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +422 / 1
    Great advice. We were paddling with a couple that got blown across the swim area and were starting to freak out a bit... until I reminded them they could easily touch the bottom. They just hopped off and pulled their board.

We love SUP (hence the name). Our biggest trip was in your neck of the woods (I assume?). We started in Balfour and ended in Nelson. About 8 hours worth of paddling in total. The wind was a huge help that day!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. mcingr

mcingr Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +505 / 1
    Do you mean around this dock or farther to the right? We've never seen live starfish in the wild and would love to take a look. Untitled.jpg

10. SUPnSun

SUPnSun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +422 / 1
    That’s the one. It’s pretty shallow, and the Starfish are red so it’s pretty easy to find them. The hut operator can point you in the right direction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice