watching the Olympics on TV

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Which stations can I view the Olympic games on?
    Thanks
    Tracey
    x

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tracey - You didn't say which TV subscription service you have.

If you have CableMenos then you can find the answer here:
    http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/

You can customize the site to remember your location (and your favorite stations).

According to what I see there is Olympic coverage this morning on channels:
    9, 11, 41, 68 and 70.

3. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Thanks rivergirl.
    I have sky but now know its on local TV on Azteca 13 and Televisa.
    Thanks
    Tracey
    x

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you got to 550 on Sky they've got two special channels in addition to the Azteca and Televisa ones (haven't seen any programming yet but it looks like it will be medal counts etc on those separate channels).

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Olympics coverage here has been really, really poor. For some reason they don't have coverage when theres really important events on and then Mexico go and win a bronze in diving and they repeat it 50,000 times, ignoring the fact there are live finals on, the worst was when they just decided to not show the womens 400m final live! Anyway, for us brits out here, fear not, you can download the days highlights from uknova.com, bbc coverage and the best commentators, they also have full recordings of stuff like the football games and the whole days of athletics, although, sadly it's not live. I'm sure NBC's coverage would be 1,000,000 better than the (and excuse my rant) but crap they have on here, i mean who wants to watch someones hand with a pair of eyes on it trying to be funny and even worse a clown pretending to be drunk or some woman pretending to be one of the presenters mothers, if it was funny then fair enough but it ain't, get on with the coverage, please! Canal 5 and Azteca have ruined my olympic experience to be honest and would do anything for BBC with 24 hour red button coverage where you can choose what you want to watch and are not restriced to watching Volleyball, Taekwando, Diving and the mens 50km walk for christ sake, they have to be the worst sports in the Olympics, what's next Handball coverage? I suppose i better just accept the fact that i'm not in Britain, it's just such a shame when we're 3rd in the medal table, our best performance for 100 years and i have to watch replays of it, 2 days later. Anyway, well done, 18 golds and counting, only 13 behind the US and just beating the Russians, who would have thought that?

6. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I agree Sam it has been hard to cope with. I have been glued to the BBC web site for live updates.
    Apparently an Australian commentor is on trouble for stating that Britain can only win medals in events where you sit down. !!! Made me chuckle as its been cycling,horseriding,rowing,sailing etc so I think its a fair and amusing comment.

Oh well its nearly all over but at least next week I have the US tennis Open to watch.
    Regards
    Tracey

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ''Britain can only win medals in events where you sit down.'' I like that !!

Yesterday I was made to watch the 50km man's walk race or whatever it's called. My god, we turned it on half way through and they still had an hour and a half to go!! How long can you watch men walking for???? Oh yes, an hour and a half!! All the men are really skinny too so nothing to look at !

8. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tv

Every afternoon, my neighbor walks laps around the park in front of my house. I get bored with that before he's even made one lap...and the park isn't very big. Why on Earth would you agree to watch that on tv?!

I have to say that I have been very pleased with Olympics coverage on NBC....yes, one of the very channels I had such a hard time convincing Cablemas to let me have. I haven't watched much this week, but I did watch Michael Phelps win his 8th gold medal the other night. I love sports so that was quite a thrilling moment for me.

9. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: tv

NBC???? Can you get that on Sky??? I really wanted it, bit late now but i couldn't find it on Sky anywhere and don't have Cablemas.

That was quite a moment when he done that, really pleased for Michael, that was one of those things were it didn't matter what country you were from, everyone was behind him, willing him to do it. Our sailer Ben Ainslee also won his third gold in 3 Olympics which is quite an achievment as he can only compete in one event and it's one that lasts all week and very, very difficult. Was really proud of the cyclists too, 8 gold medals in total, shame Shazne fell off her bike in the BMX final as it would have been 9 and still the mountain biking to come.

Tracey, been following the live action on there too, it's our only hope for now! Think i'm going to try for tickets for 2012 and go home for that one, looking forward to the tennis too, Andy Murray has an easy opener (i hope) so fingers crossed he can go make the semis and beat Nadal this time, he's beaten Federer and Djokovic this year, it's just Nadal left and then he'll be considered a real contender, ready for the masters cup at the end of the year!! :)

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, Sky is not going to give you NBC. You need Dish Network where you can watch different events on NBC, CNBC, MSNBC and USA, 24 hours a day. You also get "Enhanced" Menus so that you can examine the other 3 channels while watching the 4th.

Despite my immersion in Mexican Culture I cannot tolerate Sky nor Cablemas for reasons that I've ranted about in the past.

Hodamayo on this board is the guy to go to for Dish. If you can't find him, PM me and I'll send you the address and phone number.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice