Warning.

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by paulmc987, Jul 17, 2021.

1. TigerTown

TigerTown Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0
    OP, first off, sorry for the terrible experience you are going through. I hope you are able to get the passport situation easily squared away.

I do have a genuine question though: Would anyone have had reason to know what all was in your room? I would imagine most guests don't have $12-15k in valuables in their rooms on a TTR trip, so it sounds like you were sadly a prime target. Anyone besides staff that would have been in or seen in your room?

I have seen many mention the in-room safe and while I agree it is wise to use, with the extent of items stolen (laptops, iPads, etc), I doubt there was room in the safe for all of that.

2. T n B

T n B Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +260 / 0
    I will say this. It’s concerning to me these stories and the stories of our friends and what happened to the OP is an absolute nightmare that i pray gets remedied. I really really hope the resort steps up to offer more assistance, but they aren’t as helpful always as I think they should be.

At the end of the day though, I still feel much safer at TTR than walking at night in many downtown US cities.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. RedSkiBums

RedSkiBums Guru Registered Member

Some town in the hinterland of BC, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1,415 / 8
    I think it was Scuba Steve who, in a thread a few months ago, suggested the place is really missing a return to the pre-COVID high percentage of friendly Canadians, Brits, Euros, etc. If this current trend continues you can bet that percentage will be noticeably lower than in past years.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 5
    I said the same but usually let @ScubaSteve speak for me when he still has his voice ;) Really miss the Canadians and the Brits!!!
    Trip Review May 19-30

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  5. paulmc987

paulmc987 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I don’t want to think the worst right now but I think they are playing nice because I am still here and they don’t want me causing a scene. Once we get home, I suspect that I will hear they they aren’t responsible because the

6. MikeandHeather

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 5
    If you don’t solve it before you leave, it won’t get solved.
    Did you buy Trip insurance of any type (not sure who you booked through or what CC you may have used, some have benefits you don’t even know you have) but might be one of your recovery paths as the resort will never cut you a check and “their” insurance company doesn’t really have an incentive to pay you.
    As far as “hearing from your lawyer”, good luck with that. Unless you have a relative specializing in International lawsuits (which really don’t exist like they do here in the US where you can sue people for cutting off your extra unemployment benefits while you drive by all of the Now Hiring” signs).
    Just my .02 but $15K unsecured in your room (when they provide a safe) will make any case or claim somewhat laughable (sorry, just the view from the cheap seats since you put it out there).
    Best of luck on recovery but the benefit of this discussion will help a lot of people (probably on your dime though).

7. paulmc987

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Just a quick update. Going thru my congressman’s office, they are working with the State Dept and Embassy. It looks like we will be able to get home Wednesday. It also appears that this was a professional. They were able to unlock my Wife’s I phone and hack into everything. And somehow they completely avoided the security cameras which leads me to believe one or more employees were involved. Several of the people at the hotel believe to be the case also. They’ve offered a voucher for a complete replacement of the cost of our trip. But that’s not enough. I want a refund and it’s in Corporates hands for now.

8. MikeandHeather

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 5
    Have to ask, you were on the ground floor, around the Quiet pool, correct? Any chance you left your balcony door unlocked or open?

9. paulmc987

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I booked directly with Temptation and yes I bought the insurance thankfully.
    Probably $9-10k in the room. Plus everything else we are going to spend from now until we are fully recovered I estimate will cost a few$$ more. I know we are stupid. It should have been locked away. 100% our fault and we are sick over it.

10. MikeandHeather

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 5
    We are all “stupid” when we go to TTR, it’s why we go :) …… will be very interested in how the TTR insurance works for you. We tried to use it when we got delayed (trip interruption) which should have been covered but I ran out of patience and gave up after dozens of emails and calls…..good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice