WALMART - Important Tourist Advisory

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by T.J., Nov 3, 2009.

1. Vegas

Vegas Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How about just boycouting the dump that makes massive profits from slave labor in China?

Remember back when Wally world was all about "Made in the USA"? Good luck finding anything there now that a child slave didn't work to produce.

God forbid you actually pumped a little $$$ into the local economy rather that some billionaire from inbred Arkansas.

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you live in Cancun? Or are you pontificating from your armchair in some cozy American suburb?

I just took a look at all the food in my refrigerator and on my shelves and I couldn't find a thing made in China. What I did find was plenty of stuff grown and packed in the USA and a goodly amount of stuff from Mexico, and the European Common Market. A lot of it was purchased at Walmart.

And because I have a party to attend this weekend, I went down to Walmart yesterday to buy a new guyabera. It's made in Mexico. And yes, I probably could have found it someplace else, for more money, with less parking, and a longer drive, so I confess, I'm lazy.

Now I won't debate Walmart's presence and their historical impact on towns they've built in in the States. And they surely exercised the same predation here in Mexico and the rest of Latin America. Since they predate my arrival here 5 years ago, I can only guess that they did drive some mom and pop bodegas out of business, much in the way they do in the US, but I would guess that here is different from there and that they actually provide more jobs than they took away. Even the way the employ school kids as baggers, with a proof of school attendance requirements, is more a benefit to the kids and their famalies than it is "exploitation". In a nation of less tha 5 bucks a day minimum wage for some workers, those tips come in handy. Plus, the wages and tips go into the local economy, as do the salaries paid to the truck drivers, the money they spend on trucks, fuel and insurance, the electric bill (ok, national economy), and all the ancillary services required to keep the big-box stores running.

Also, their presence here provides a way for we strangers in a strange land to at least be able to acquire a taste of home even if we do eat "native" more often than not. Their presence here also stimulates competition, not only in inventory, but also things like comfort and appearence. 5 years ago some of the dives that passed for supermarkets were dark, dirty, unpleasant places. Anyone who has navigated through an Assisi store or the old Chedraui knows what I mean. The brilliant reconstruction of the Mega Comercial Mexicanas after their "successful" fires would have never happened without the competition from Walmart and their upscale Superama store. Ditto for the inventory expansion at Soriana and the import aisles at Chedraui.

And all that doesn't mean that I don't dislike Walmart, past and present. I feel a twinge of remorse every time I go there, and I even prefer their main competitors Mega (even though it's part of the Costco franchise) and Soriana. When I'm stateside, I won't set foot in Walmart, which undoubtedly costs me money, but it's the price I pay for making that particular political statement. Here, on the other hand, it's different.

As I'm sure other expats on the board will agree, for some reason it's impossible to do the weekly shopping and succeed in getting everything you need in one stop. Invariably, you'll have to try Walmart, sad as that fact may be, or just suck it up and do without that one can or bottle or frozen thing you wanted. That's the price you pay for not living a totally immersed life in a foreign land.

So, while I may share your feelings about Walmart when I've got my feet up watching the flat screen (bought at Circuit City, and we know what happened to them), knocking back a diet Mountain Dew at my place in Florida, until you do a 365/24/7 here in Cancun you just can't make blanket statements of that sort.

Also, on a not entirely unrelated subject: The intricate ties that the US has with its Chinese primary lender, who, for the moment, could yank the rug out from the American economy, are difficult to understand. I don't like it any more than you do, but for now it pays to keep them happy.

And one final thought: Do a search on this forum for the term Walmart. I think you'll understand how much they have knitted themselves into the fabric of daily life down here.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice reply Mix. I always try to buy non Chinese if at all possible. Often it is not. I have a group I will not criticize on this venue, although I feel said group is largely responsible for running up prices of all things we cannot buy as cheaply as we can from the Far East, China included. So not as to disappoint Rivergirl, I am not talking about the Democrats, but that is a different fish to fry.

I often find things at Walmart or Costco, made in America, that are cheaper in Mexico, with shipping and import duties, that are cheaper than the exact same item when purchased in the states. One thing immediately comes to mind is Washington State Apples at Costco. How can this be possible?

Not sure where Vegas is coming from but I daresay that unless he or she is a farmer, my bet is that he or she buys many things from China, either knowingly or unknowingly. And where, pray tell does Vegas shop?

Cheers to all,

4. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BC I think this is one of the best post on the site I am bumping it for newbies.

5. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and an fyi if you have our Cancun map, we have it marked where to get the bus back to the hotel zone from Walmart, it's a red circle with an 8 in it.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Angels - Thanks. I do make some remarkable posts, don't I? LOL

Mapchick - Why an 8? I 8 some tacos there one time but they were not too good.

xoxo

7. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you do!! 8 is a magical number!! I am a fam of 8 now! I love the number 8! I 8 some tacos the other day also but not as good as mexico tacos :(

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Angels,
    Thanks for the reply. I hope your cutie pie little buddy is still singing his songs at the top of his lungs.
    T.J.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice