Walmart and there 90% rule..

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nobody is answering my question. Tori, are you sure it is 90%? I'm positive it is 70%, at least at the "tourist" Walmart.

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    She said 90%, as if it was lower, my $50 would have worked. Not sure where TJ is, but he is the resident Walmart complaint Dept and knows the answer.

3. silverro

silverro Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definetely 90% i tried to pay yesterday with a $50 bill for something that cost $37 and got no go from the cashier, ended up paying in pesos

4. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. That's strange because I was told 70% and the cash register was even setup to display the amount it must be to pay with a $100 bill. 90% makes it almost useless.

Oh well, as I said, Costco will change a $100 for any amount.

5. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori uses Wal Mart for exchange since they have the best rates in Cancun. Cambio's are a hit and miss. I do the same thing as she does.

6. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got it, but as I explained, I do the same if and when I also have a purchase to make at Walmart! And only if Walmart is the most accessible place to me at that time. Which sometimes it's not.

And I can see now (especially with almost all her income coming from USD) why it is so critical...that would definitely add up over time! Whereas, for me, that difference is a bit more neglible.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys and Gals,

The"rule" is that your purchase must be at last 90% of the anoint you tender in dollars. But it is written and posted to the effect that you cannot get more than 10% change in pesos.

bobby slack's post was taken by me the way Tori took it. The polite reply to the smart a#s question is that Walmart has a big sign that advertises their exchange rate for dollars. Their stupid policy is posted at the cash register and by this time you have your cart loaded with your items, so you have no advance notice unless you get info like from this forum. So you can walk out without paying and shop another store, or find close enough to correct change to make your buy. Bottom line bobby, is that by posting the exchange rates, Walmart is inviting you to pay with dollars if you want. Si being in a foreign country had zero to do with this issue. It's just a stops policy, not will thought out, being administered by purple with no basic math skills.

To make matters worse, the clerks and supervisors are often too stupid to interpret the stupid rule. This us what set me off back in Sept when I was loading up for my daughter and her friends. To confuse people even more, sometimes you cam pay with a $ 50, for example, convert your purchase tosay $ 40,& get your change with no problem.

8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do know they didn't have it posted at the registers like they did at the Centro location. Was there today and didn't take notice as I won't be using USD there unless it's a large shopping spree and I have pesos to make up the difference. I just want to take advantage of the very very good exchange rate. Is that too much to ask?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice