voter ID's & disenfranchisement

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by sweetchildomine, Feb 21, 2013.

1. sweetchildomine

sweetchildomine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am curious, as a non voter because of my belief in the fact of government and the voting sytem being scued, how is it that asking/requiring every individual to have an government issued ID to vote is going to disenfranchise any person?

I heard this morning that a woman has admittedly voted at least 4 different times in this past election for Obama. She openly addmitted stating "she wanted to make sure her vote counted". How is asking for an ID a bad thing?

2. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    About half the voters need to be disenfranchised.

3. sweetchildomine

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Agreed, but in all fairness they should have the right to vote and be heard. But ONCE ONLY!... and this needs to start being regulated. It just seems that the more $ a given party has is the one that gets into office by buying off certain demographics/peoples votes by certain tax breaks and leavys, while also cutting taxes to big business for their contributions to the party while screwing over the small business.

It seems as though not a single politician actually cares about this country and where it is headed, only far enough that they see their own wallet getting bigger and paving the way for other stupid minions like them.

4. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The argument put up by the left is that the poor do not have ID's or the transportation to get to where they could acquire an ID. Hmmm, does one not need an ID to apply for welfare? How about food stamps? Free cellphones perhaps? Unemployment benefits maybe? If ID's are not required for the benefits that a society can give to them then we have a much bigger problem. Voter ID laws should have been in place long ago and perhaps we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.

5. sweetchildomine

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    exactly... so then sometimes, as a government should do, is go against the common vote. If government doesn't help those that it would "disenfranchise" they wouldn't get the votes and those people wouldn't get the benefits that those politician keep handing out. Our government has become the largest business in the world giving money away hand over fist that isn't theirs and is a global ponzi scheme that we are paying the bill for.

I have to have an ID to get into a friggin movie, concert, drive a car(to and from my job, not to the welfare office) and yet those don't need one to get the welfare from the $ I am paying in from the work I do while they sit on their ass. Better yet I need to pass a drug test to get a job, why don't they have to get a random drug test to get the benefits from my job.

Why does every politician get to decide their own wage increases? why do they get that wage for the rest of their lives even after leaving office.(Mrs. Clinton is getting 3 different wages). Politics is not supposed to be a life long career, it is supposed to be a stepping stone to move the country in a better way with new and fresh ideas.

I wonder if we brought back tar and feathering how many would step out of their spots?

6. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Is there a way that we could limit voting to those who don't have a vested interest in the question?

Nope, probably not. I mean, allowing the persons who populate the welfare state to vote on that issue will perpetuate its existence, right? Not that the concept of welfare is a bad one, but the way it seems to be expressed certainly can be a "bad thing."

7. J_Boost

J_Boost Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yet in NYC you can be arrested for not carrying ID. Going to the voting poll though they don't require one...

8. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Wouldn't the easy solution be to ensure that photo ID's are free to any citizen (Drivers licence or just a state ID) and then say that they have to present that when voting?

And to make sure everything is on the up and up put it into law now and tell them that it will be enforced in the next election (2 years away). In that case people have almost 2 full years to get the proper ID and away you go.

9. sweetchildomine

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That was actually a part of our state amendment here in Mn, in that the new proposal would pay for anyones that did not have a gov issued ID already. I guess that isn't good enough! They must need the id station to come to them?

10. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    For most people not a problem, I can see an argument that for seniors homes or long term care facilities that there should be some arrangment to come to them but that should be a miniscule percentage.

Also, get the political parties out of the elections boards. You wouldn't let NFL teams place two players on the reffing crews so why are political parties involved in setting rules for voting? That's one of the things about our system I like. Elections Canada which has no ties to any party runs the election process here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice