Visiting Isla Holbox

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 25, 2015.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm writing this in response to Rudyman's question in another thread- How is Halloween celebrated in Cancun?

Isla Holbox is a two hour and 15 min drive to a ferry landing, from which you go to I. Holbox after a short wait and a ferry ride lasting about 20 min. There are once daily buses that can also take you there. The ride to the ferry landing lasts just under three hours.

The appeal of Isla Holbox is it's natural state, in spite of it's being inhabited. The roads are, for the most part, unpaved. The beaches are full of sea shells in good condition. Fishermen anchor just offshore to clean their catch, while sea birds noisily fly overhead, waiting to swoop in for any tidbits tossed aside. When the boats finally land with their catch a small group of people will assemble, both out of curiosity and to buy all or part of it.

There is a range of accommodations there from basic, at 250-350 pesos per night and up. It being less developed there is a limited range of places to eat. We've found three that we especially like, and twice that many that disappointed in some way.

Because of the distance I'd say consider an overnight stay.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice