Visiting Cuba (US Citizen)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by coby, Nov 29, 2009.

1. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The package we're looking at is for Brisas Santa Lucia hotel. All food and (domestic) drink included for 2 adults for 5 days/4 nights*. The offer is supposedly good for any 5 day period in March or April if we book it in December (not sure how much sales pressure we are getting though.) Roundtrip flight from Cancun to Havana included, and the total price is $837.

It was one of several offers that a tourist agency on 5th Av./Paseo de Carmen had for Cuba.

*Originally I said 5 nights but that is incorrect, it's for 4 nights.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,252 / 14
    Just go if you want to! They wont stamp your passport.

Life's too short to worry about restricted travel to "axis of evil" countries, of which Cuba shouldnt even be on the list.

Can't believe that the US still inhibits travel there. I thought "America" was the land of the free.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me preface this by saying I believe it's time for the ban on travel to Cuba be lifted. The are many other "repressive" regimes to whose countries Americans are allowed to travel. China immediately comes to mind. That being said, below is the official U.S. Dept. of State position. It makes an interesting read.

COUNTRY DESCRIPTION: Cuba is a totalitarian police state which relies on repressive methods to maintain control. These methods include intense physical and electronic surveillance of both Cuban citizens and foreign visitors. Americans visiting Cuba should be aware that any encounter with a Cuban citizen could be subject to surreptitious scrutiny by the General Directorate for State Security (DGSE) of Cuba. Also, any interactions with average Cubans, regardless of how well intentioned, can subject that Cuban to harassment and/or detention, and other forms of repressive actions, by state security elements. The Government of Cuba bases much of its legitimacy on being strongly opposed to the U.S. government. Nevertheless, its need to earn hard currency through the tourist industry prompts it to encourage tourism from any source. The United States does not have full diplomatic relations with Cuba, but provides consular and other services through the U.S. Interests Section in Havana. The U.S. Interests Section operates under the legal protection of the Swiss government but is not co-located with the Swiss Embassy. Read the Department of State Background Notes on Cuba for additional information.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS /TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

For the latest information on travel to Cuba and to view the most accurate and updated travel restrictions information, please see: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml.

4. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just dont return to the states with pics of you and your chica in front of the: Malecon (Boardwalk), Habana.

I was at a wedding in Manzanillo and this subject came up with an attorney from the states. he said his friend came back from Havana to the states with pics of Cuba and customs popped him with a USD$10K fine , YIKES!!!!!!! he returned to the states via Mexico.

just have to be smart. you put a piece of paper in your passport and they stamp that.

the embargo is a horrible thing!!!! I think it has actually harmed Cubans. I mean , you have architects , lawyers , teachers driving taxis to make money.

the embargo is backed by powerful Cuban-American businessman in Miami that hate Castro and the regime. now Raul has taken over , and well more of the same.

Texas use to ship huge quantities of rice to Cuba as they prefer it to Asian rice. this would be a huge boost to the US economy if Cuba was opened up, as they import almost everything.

although I did read a report that if Cuba was opened up that it would hurt tourism in Cancun and the Caribbean.

I am ok with the U.S. Govt warning me of places not to travel , but an absolute ban , forget that!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice