Very good and very poor beach conditions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by 212eric, Mar 20, 2007.

1. backhome

backhome Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    jw mariott

I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned the resort in my post! I was speaking of the J.W. Marriott. I actually was speaking with another guest here yesterday and she informed me that the beach was once a very nice beach and that it is much different now than it once was,

2. ladybug

ladybug Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We stayed at the Omni for two weeks in March (8th to 22nd). There were only four days the lifeguards would allow people in the water. The rest of the time, very large rock and concrete slabs were evident. We're not into going in the ocean so we were still comfortable lounging on the beach. They have many palapas so it was still good. Most of the Omni guests would walk over to the Oasis property to swim.

3. cindyinmpls

cindyinmpls Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just returned from the Cancun Palace. The beach grew at least 10 feet wider while we were there. I still believe that nature takes its course and no machines can replace nature.
    Last year the Tri-Royals had a beautiful beach and this year we met people who said the beach is filled with huge rocks and they walked down to the Sands where last year the beach was non existent even after the dredger came by.
    Cancun Palace beach was great.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to Playa Langosta twice this week, great public beach located beside the Casa Maya near the flag. The sand was soft, the water clean and calm. I know the north side hasn't suffered as much troubles as the east side, but thought I would share some comparison pics from last Wednesday versus Sunday. Wednesday, not a soul but us, Sunday, a thousand people out for a big beach party. Both days were great!

Wednesday April 4th
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunday April 8th
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CancunCanuck, thanks for the pics, the beach there looks in excellent shape.

Can you tell me as I keep getting asked, is the ocean water becoming any calmer than how it has been in recent months? I guess this pertains mostly to the beach conditions on the east side shoreline of the Hotel Zone.

212eric

6. Patricia

Patricia Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back to Beach Conditions

I'm going back to the Marriott on May 24th. Has anybody out there seen the beach there? Are the rocks still exposed?

7. darkladydi

darkladydi Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    beach condition

we stayed at the golden parnassus last year (2006 ) and the beach was just fine. just like the beach always was. no rocks that i can remember, and cool sugar sand. we're going back June 13, and I'll see if it's any different. i just can't wait.

8. VEGASLISA

VEGASLISA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    marriott beaches to Patricia

Hi Patricia, just spent May 7 thru the 11th. No rocks at the Marriott hotels!! Hope you have fun

9. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just posting an update to this string re: beach conditions in the Hotel Zone. I was in Cancun from April 25 - May 11 and made the following observations during that time frame:

Presidente Intercontinental-has the most perfect beach I had visited in Cancun, ever! The sand is how we frequent Cancun visitors remember it, with soft sand, not hot to the touch and wide open space on the beach with no "Shelf" or rocks.

Ambiance Villas-this resort is next door to Presidente Intercontinental and so therefore the beach is virtually the same.

NH Krystal-most of the beach has washed away since a year ago. I regret to inform the masses about this fact however there is still a stretch of beach to the south side of the resort that guests were using, and there was plenty of space to spread out.

Hyatt Regency-although this resort is next door to the NH Krystal, they do not share the same beach nor good fortune. Therefore the guests at this resort are permitted access to use the beach at the next door Dreams Resort. Since I was on business, I did not have the opportunity to visit the beach at Dreams, I hope someone who has can comment on this resort soon.

Royal Sands-the beach has a slope down to the water's edge but overall quality of the sand was good. Let me also add that this resort's beach stretches for what seems like 1/2 Km. The staff here does a fantastic job keeping their grounds and beach very clean, kudos to them for that!

Le Meridien-good sand texture and with a slight slope leading down to the sea.

Marriott's J.W. and CasaMagna-although there were some smaller, pebble size rocks on the sand here and there, the large rocks that were clearly visible in December were not there anymore!

Hilton Golf & Spa Resort-slightly smaller beach size in comparison with what was there in December. However the shelf that was previously found there and can still be found at many resorts and at Playa Delfines, has been leveled off. The overall condition of the sand is good with not too many hard shells or smaller rocks so overall it is better now.

Bel Air Collection-this resort's beach is wide with very good sand texture. Like other beaches in the Hotel Zone however, there are some larger grains of sand that will need some time to be shaved down to size by mother nature. Let me also add that the resort does a fine job maintaining their beach. In comparison to the Hotetur Beach Paradise located next door, there is no comparison between the cleanliness found at Bel Air Collection and the debris found next door.

I hope this was helpful,
    212eric

10. Fritz

Fritz Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beaches Change Quickly in Cancun

Beaches in Cancun change very quickly, depending on the wind patterns. For example, we spent March 31 to April 14 in Cancun. On the day we arrived at the Royal Mayan the beaches were rocky in front of all of the three Royal resorts that are located there. (We were told that "strong winds had recently washed the beach away.")

The next few days we had the usual easterly winds, and by the third day, there were great expanses of sandy beach, where we could enter the ocean without feeling any of the slabs that we had seen just a few days before. By about the fifth day, we could see very little rock at all.

The following week we had several days of very strong southerly winds that uncovered the slabs that we had first seen when we arrived.

So, it doesn't matter what the beach was like last month. If you get the strong easterlies that are common in Cancun, you will get a restored beach in no time.

There have been some very unusual wind patterns recently in Cancun. For example, the southerly wind I described earlier isn't common in April. Last November, we were there for two weeks and we had one northerly after another come through. Very cold wind (the hotel staff was wearing sweaters) and generally nasty weather. We rent at the Royal Resorts, which are timeshare resorts, so I was able to talk to a number of people who'd come during this same period for over twenty years. They all said that they'd never seen any weather like this in Cancun. (One friend who has stayed at Club International every year for thirty years for the entire month of November, was so upset over three weeks of terrible weather, that she didn't renew at CI upon the expiration of her 30 year lease.)

During my visits in November and in the spring, I had several books that I was reading on the subject of how weather patterns form, so I was really watching each day.

So don't despair. Just pray for easterly winds and no change in historical current flows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice