Very good and very poor beach conditions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by 212eric, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Recently a few hotels including the Marriotts had rocks all over their beaches, has this changed? If you recently returned from Cancun, can you say if your resort had very good, or very poor beach conditions? I think this would be very helpful for those who are traveling in the near future... plus I'm curious :pc:

212eric

2. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Compared to what it was like in February 2006, the beach by our hotel (Solymar, south of Hilton) was much improved. There was still a slight ledge just before water's edge to step down to get to shore, but still enough room to walk on wet sand without getting too soaked. Slight incline though to walk on. No huge rocks on beach area, but had to watch out for larger rocks while in water. We would walk one or two miles north from our hotel, so I'm sure it continued in this condition for most of the hotel zone.

Sand itself is very different than pre-Wilma. More shells (intact and broken), so a little harder to walk on dry sand. Several people were getting small cuts on bottom of feet from stepping on a sharp shell fragment, so something to keep in mind.

Heard rumour that they were going to dredge the beach again this year to try to build it up more.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My only recent beach experience was at Playa Marlin behind Plaza Kukulcan, so can't help with the Marriotts. Word is that the beach is different all up and down the strip. Our experience was lovely, good stretch of beach, some small shells, but NO rocks. Actually had a yellow flag day and we were able to spend a lot of time in the ocean with Max (he's still a tiny guy, but he's got no fear baby!)

Here's some pics from March 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ledge.....

[​IMG]

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny you should post this now, I was just accused of LYING about the beach in a private message (on another, not so nice board). Pics don't lie darlin's!

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I will not ask which board that was, but will proudly state I am not a member of that board :D

6. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I believe I gave substantial evidence to the state of the beaches between the Oasis and the Cancun Palace in another recent thread.

7. Patricia

Patricia Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Marriott's Beach

Eric, I stayed at the Marriott from 3/4 to 3/8 and I can tell you that it's very rocky. If you go down in front of Cancun Palace, the beach was better. Also, in the very front of the Melia it was so-so. But when you check in and look out your sliding glass door in your room, you'll see what's left. Sergio, one of the La Capilla waiters, said they need another small storm to shift the sand back. Also the sand dredging company is supposed to come back and fix the problem areas. I hope not the end of May 'cause I'll be back then. Say hello to all the bellmen for me. Thanks and have a nice time.

8. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone for the updated beach info. I am surprised to learn about the Omni and Oasis' beach not being in such great shape.

CancunCanuck, that's ridiculous that you received that type of private message. What would you have to gain by lying about beach conditions anyway?

Patricia, I am also surprised to learn that the Marriotts' have not fixed their beaches yet. I was in Cancun in December and the problem was only at the J.W. Now that it has spread, I was told in January that they had plans to have the beach fixed by now. It seems they didn't do enough and the problem is only getting worse... that's really a shame.

212eric

9. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    here are my photos from last week:

Oasis Beach:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

about 2 hotels up the '7' from the Oasis
    [​IMG]

yet a little further up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the shelf is obviously a factor right next to the hotels, and is somewhat difficult to navigate when crowded and/or if you have a few drinks in you.

you can also see the significant slope of the beach in places, and how narrow it gets up toward the Cancun Palace area.

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish I knew! I wrote back saying I was not thrilled about being called a liar, he replied saying perhaps I was not lying, I was just in denial and not being truthful. Ooooook, whatever.

Thanks for sharing pics D, looks like what everyone is saying. The beach changes up and down the strip and can be different from one day to the next.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice