Vehicle sticker renewals moved out of Puerto Juarez!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went yesterday to the new Aduyana/Banjerto office in Puerto Juarez and was informed that they no longer do vehicle permit renewals. The closest place is now CHETUMAL!!!!! Guess I'll hop a bus down and renew it. It's totally insane to have discontinued this. The lady did say that it might possibly change back in the future and to call next year before I head to Chetumal.

2. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

How can this be possible!?!

We did hear that Erika was going to be leaving. Could it be possible that they shut down the office when she left?

I WAS looking forward to an easy and quick sticker renewal for once. This plus FM3 plus Hacienda has me at the end of my rope!

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Isn't your vehicle permit automatically renewed when you keep your FM2/3 current?

4. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are a thousand theories on this, but we renew ours every year, especially because we go back north every summer.

5. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know that prior to 2003 that was true, however it is my understanding that the law was changed in June of that year and I have renewed ever since. I also got stopped by Transito for an expired sticker 2 years ago.

6. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    where is chetumal? i have to get mine renewed in november

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you read my post at http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31098&highlight= you'll see the current state of the law. If you are on a FM3 for retirees, your permit automatically renews with your FM3. If you read article 106 of the import regulations, it seems to imply that this rule is for everyone and your car can travel anywhere, but there is a glut of confusion about holders of other FM types.

From my personal experience, I was ticketed by a Transito. My NY plates had expired years ago, my import sticker was 2 years out of date and all he wanted to see was a valid driver's license and insurance papers. When I asked the officer about the importation sticker he was aware of Article 106 and said I had no concerns. US insurance brokers who specialize in Mexican insurance advise you to print a copy of Article 106 in Spanish and English to keep with you in your car.

Your mileage may vary, as I am speaking only of the law as it applies to FM3 retirees, as explained to me by my insurance agent and a couple of Transitos that I've spoken with.

8. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The address is:
    Av Mexico S/N Edificio de la Adoana Fronteriza
    Subteniente Lopez Tel - 983-834-5043
    Hours:
    Mon-Fri 0900 - 1700
    Sat & Sun - 0900 - 1500

The lady in Puerto Juarez said to check with them in the future before going to Chetumal in case they move it back. Her number is
    998-880-0108

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chetumal is at the very southern tip of the Tulum highway, it's on the border with Belize. The last time I took a bus there it was a six hour trip, probably faster in a car.

10. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had cars here for years and never renewed the sticker, as long as my FM3 was valid so was my permit for the car.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice