Used Cars...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Jul 8, 2010.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know of a "decent" place one can find fairly reliable used cars...?

(Never thought I would use those words in the same sentence in Cancun, LOL! :D)

Ive been to the car sales at the football stadium... never going back there...ever.

Nothing fancy, just something to use for gaining more driving experience etc.

Any and all suggestions are welcome :)

EDIT: Are DF drivers license's valid in Cancun or do I have to get one here as well..?

2. Benuk

Benuk Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry I can't help you but was just interested about the cars in the Stadium car park, you say you will never go back?. Why is this?. No one speaks English or just full of con men?.

I've often walked passed there and seen all sorts of cars both good and bad. I was looking for a car myself a few months back until offered a company car. The Nissan cab style cars worked out the best value for what I was looking for. I was checking the local papers online. Grupo SIPSE, sipse.com was the best one I personaly found. My hire car cost about $550 USD a month for a Dodge Stratus 2.0. I personaly would never pay that per month when you can pick one up so cheap. But hey my company pay for it.

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only experience or information that I can offer is this:

The Law changed January 2008 and went into effect the Fall of 2008, late October into November that in order to register, AKA plate, a Nationalized or original Mexican vehicle one had to be a Naturalized Citizen, have/hold an FM2 or have a Mexican friend willing to register it in their name for you whereby the Insurance also must be in the National's name to protect them and their assets. This was a BIG surprise to those who held an FM3 and owned a Mexican vehicle back at that time.

Also, it is illegal to purchase a vehicle from a foreigner since the vehicle permit is tied to the original entry permit. The 'title' to the a foreign vehicle must be in the name of the original owner and therefore tied to their entry permits. Anyone who does buy this type of illegal vehicle risks having the vehicle confiscated by Customs/Aduana, whether they are a foreigner or a National.

So, for anyone living in Cancun without an FM2 and looking for a vehicle, the safest and only legal way is to bring your own in and plan to take it out with you when you leave.

And, God forbid, you should lose a license plate, well that's another 3-4 day run around experience...

ETA: Any valid North American driver's license is allowed.

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Benuk: Soooo many bullsh*tters at the stadium it made me laugh... Not all of them obviously, but enough to make me leave and never come back.

@CancunMole: The wife would be the one registering the car, so no probs :)

Thanks however for the info - they never bothered to tell me this at the Transito office... Go figure :icon_lol:

5. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try Mercadolibre,
    i saw a couple of interesting offers, a 01 BMW 3 Series for 115, if thats too pricey i also saw a 99 Honda Accord Coupe for 45.

6. Benuk

Benuk Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out of interest again, just bull shitting about the price of the condition of the car and stuff?. I guess thats one tuff thing about being a gringer or what ever they call us!.
    PS My girl friend is amazed theres another Swede out here, would be nice to meet up for a drink one time. :)

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Epic: Will have a look, for sure. Thanks.

Found some interesting deals with the Chevy dealers regarding used Chevys and WV`s. 2004 Chevy(the small ones, which is what we are after) for about 45000 MXP. Would prefer a dealer since they at least check the cars and have some sort of "insurance" etc. Not a car-person, so buying privately is like reading Chinese to me... :aktion025:

@Benuk: Haha, everything! They lied about being first owner, distance, jacked up the price etc. Just tiring really... :icon_mad:

Yeah, we should def meet up for a drink! havent spoken Swedish since September last year :)

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We had a great experience at the tianguis (by the stadium). Only took one trip and we found a good vehicle for a good price. Maybe we just got lucky.

I've had friends buy from Car Flex, it's mostly rental cars that they are selling so possibility of lots of kms, but I'm told prices are good.

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @CancunCanuck: Maybe it IS ok, but I was the unlucky one..? Haha :)

I will have a look at Car Flex as well, thanks.

10. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    check out autocosmos.com.mx, they have a lot of options for cars under 50grand in Q. Roo, Remember one very important thing, Air Conditioning is not a luxury its a requirement!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice