use extreme caution in cancun!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by dooce, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dooce

dooce Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm writing this because I dont want the same thing to happen to anyone else. This was my 3rd time to Cancun, the other 2 trips went perfectly.

Our first night in Cancun, we went out to eat at Carlos/Charlies then went to Corona Bar, then went to Slices. It was a lot of fun! Also, I'm in my 30's and a seasoned drinker.

I remember everything up to Slices, which is where I was taken advantage of (and possibly drugged?). My friends say I went to the bathroom and didnt return. Im not sure how it happened but I know I was put in a van by some local guys, driven out of cancun, and robbed of my wallet and camera. It might be a stretch to say this was an elaborate plan to get me drunk and wait till I was alone then snatch me, but it doesnt make sense either since I was staying directly across the street at the Salvia Condos and didnt need transportation home.

I awoke in the Hotel lobby. Disoriented, confused, and no memory of what happened.

I cancelled my CC's asap and tried to enjoy the rest of the trip. The police in Cancun wouldnt do anything since I couldnt remember the details, and it "happens everyday".

When I returned home I found that my checking account was sucked dry of several thousand dollars. Apparently the bank didnt cancel my ATM cards, just my CC's. But thats a whole other ordeal. They are investigating.

The fact is that somehow these guys were able to coerce/trick/threaten me to give them my ATM pin! Not good!

Please be safe with your friends, and never go anywhere alone, not even the bathroom. It's scary to think what could have happened.

Be smart! There are people there out to get ya!

2. carrie82

carrie82 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in Cancun last year and have no complaints but about 5 years ago the same thing happened to us. We went on a pub crawl with our rep when we got to coco bongo something similar happened to my boyfriend he was taken in a taxi to some deserted place where there were alot of sinister looking men about and ordered to give all his money to them, luckily enough he didn't have much cash on him they took him back to the hotel and demanded him go get more cash and demanded to know his room number before they let him out. He started to come round by this stage and told them wrong room number. Then one night we went to La Boom my friend had very little to drink and was totally out of it her boyfriend took her back to the hotel. I had about a glass and half of wine then in the lift in our hotel I totally blanked out I was violently sick for hours the doctor had to be called and eventually I passed out, I was very ill for about 2 days and am convinced someone definately put something in our drinks. Another couple told us something similar happened to them in Senor Frogs. I think they sometimes put things in your drink if you have paid a cover charge to get in to get free drink so that you can't drink too much. Needless to say it put us off Cancun for a few years!

3. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think this can happen anywhere personally! I have been to Cancun 5 straight years and have NEVER had nor seen a bad situation. Other than people just drinking too much and not being able to handle their alcohol. It can happen in any large city where people are partying, it isnt just cancun. It is safe to say you need to be mindful where ever you are, and watch exactly how much you drink. By in large, cancun is far more safer than many of your home towns. But, crime can happen anywhere.

4. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right, this can happen ANYWHERE.
    I have gone to some places and have many friends who work in clubs.
    They put a certain drug in the Ice cubes, but I have never heard of it in the Hotel Zone (Only in the clubs in Plaza 21, Strip zone).
    You might have gotten a type of "Montazumas Revenge" :cool:

5. Lala052206

Lala052206 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is scary! we're going to Cancun in Aug for our first time and wanted to check out nightclubs there. Now i have second thought after hearing these stories.

6. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wouldn't worry about. Just stick to the reputable clubs like Coco Bongos, Dady O's, Dady Rocks, Bull Dogs, Carlos and Charlies, Jimmy Buffet's Marguaritaville etc. You will be fine. It's the Strip joints and off the wall places that pull this s***.
    None of the reteraunts do this. Like Myplace or Hooters. Places downtown like Tacolote and Las Parillos are great. :cool:

7. Lala052206

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks bncancun!

8. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been visiting Cancun with and without our children for about 15 years. I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in any visit. Granted I stay on the beaten track (no strip clubs, etc.) but hit a lot of places for drinks and dinner.
    I think you are over-concerned about safety issues.

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I would be highly concerned if I was shoved in a van, taken to a remote location and then robbed.

But, like the others said, Cancun is a generally safe area as long as you use common sense and all that. I have never felt worried or threatened in any way while there, but I do not let that lull me into a false sense of complacency.

10. Lala052206

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im just having a really mix feelings about the nigtclubs. I really want to go check it out and go with the hotel crew. Its just the fact that we have to find our own ride back to the hotel...that's what holding me back, and afraid it might not be safe getting back to the hotel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice