US

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by dandj, Sep 14, 2012.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice way to put them all in the same category, lol :D

Have many Muslim friends whom are happy, regardless where they live. Some countries are, understandably, a bit more "tense" these days, just like the US was "tense" after its revolution.

Ive also met tons of American ex-pats whom constantly bitch and complain about the US - does that mean that "Americans are not happy in the US" or does it mean that some/many/a few(etc.) are unhappy? :)

2. USTWO

USTWO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    key word here x-pats. good riddens!

3. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Riddance", no?

Actually, I only have to look at this part of the CancunCare website to see unhappy Americans, whom still live in the US :)

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looks like you may not have read what he said were his motives- and his reaction to the killing of the Ambassador and others

Anti-Islam filmmaker in hiding after protests - Yahoo! News

This movie is serious business for the security of the United States: how many terrorist plots it has inspired will only be known over the next several years

It has already all but shut down normal embassy operations in a dozen or more countries and put all of our diplomats at heightened risk

You still want to defend this man and say that we should not take action to protect ourselves against those who would incite others to violence against our people: if I was prosecuting the case I would want to put his callous indifference to the consequences in front of the jury as part of the evidence establishing his intent

5. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    first yahoo new ---------> now there is a great source of factual information lmao

have no Desire whatsoever to defend this man other than to say he has every right under constitutional law here in the states to produce a movie about his perceptions of a religon.

AGAIN - lets all make this perfectly clear (like him hate him or indifferent towards him) he has shut down absolutely NOTHING!!!!

but...

what has shut down the embassies and heightened risk of more violence and more destruction is the violence of a band of misguided religous idots!!!

what is VERY serious business for the US and the rest of the world are fundamentalist nuts who use any excuse they can drum up (yes even a stupid movie) to kill mame torture and spread their convuluted interpretation of their religon into a justification for barbaric behavior

please quit blaming this appaling behavior on a stupid ass movie or a movie producer - there is no excuse whatsoever for what they have done and there is no way you can blame this behavior on any other than the ones at fault

the best

6. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    It is ironic how a discussion like this always seems to lead to a reversal of roles. Those of us who tend to be more conservative say that the producer of the movie has the right to free speech and therefore can distribute whatever he so desires. Those of the more liberal readers tend to move to the other side of punish the guy. Admittedly that was my first reaction, but after reading some of the posts here, I have to say that the guy does have the right of free speech and the reaction of those in the Middle East is just plain stupid.

The Muslims can kill women and children and think that's fine and then when someone puts out a movie that they interpret as insulting their religion they go ballistic and want to attack everyone. If you remember that after the terror attacks of 9-11 there was celebration in the streets of many Middle Eastern countries. It is very hard to have much respect for a religion that is so perverted as to worship death and destruction but violently react to a movie.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    twini: ...And in those same countries, there was a majority of people(Muslims) that did NOT celebrate the towers going down.

Its not all black and white.

He, she or whomever have the right to say pretty much what they want, but honestly, does having the right to do so, automatically mean that one HAS to do it?

I had every right to say "Ignorant Americans" when I met many of those during my travels in the US, but I chose not to.

Not comparing the various events - just trying to discuss the need to do/say something, at times where many countries are in turmoil.

During and after the American Revolution, do you think it would have been wise to aim similar stuff towards the US and its citizens?

Again, only trying to figure out the need vs having the right to broadcast stuff that, at this time, most likely set off shitty events like the ones we are seeing today.

Sorry if it sounds like ramble - on my way out.

Ps. What if I made a similar movie that touches the sensitive areas of Christianity, from the stealing of the lands from Indigenous(all over the world) to the pedophile rings that still exists within this religion - do you think Christians would sit down and say "rawkus had every right to do that" or would there be quite the sh*t-storm against me? I mean, they already shoot and blow up abortion doctors, blow up buildings and kill civilians(Oklahoma and Norway)...

Ps2. This is NOT a personal thing - its a discussion. If any answers are going to be against me as a person, dont even bother typing them out. Please.

8. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    correct - not saying we should throw a party for him. not saying what he did was wise or proper or even good.

nevertheless

what i am trying to say is that you cant blame him for the response and you cant cater to barbaric murders and pat them on the back and go "your right - poor pitiful you - its all his fault for you and your actions and every violent act that transpires on the muslim street is justified"

while raising our four children.........every time they got pissed off about something - i never tried to comfort them and say stuff like "its okay and your right those people shit on you or your friends suck" instead i let them work through their feelings on their own. had we coddled them every time they were pissed off saying, "your anger is good you have every right to act like a pissed off spoiled little brat and pitch a fit and whine like a baby and blame all your f'n problems on someone else for your misery - keep it up" then we would have raised kids who wanted to blame all of their problem on every one else instead of owning them.

my point -

every time you allow these people an "out" (a movie producer, an acclaimed novelist, a speech, more money) you are basically saying "the way you are acting is perfectly acceptable - PLEASE keep it up - you have no responsibility for anything!!!

your not helping the situation by allowing them to place blame - your simply fueling the fire of an ignorant religous mob

rob

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Agreed, if that's what you meant.

This is more importantly about defending the United States against attack, as the number one priority, whether it originates from within, or without: in this case, the thing that triggered this violence was done knowingly and in full awareness of the reaction he was setting off. He lit the match: he's from that part of the world, he hates Muslims, and he knew what he was doing would have consequences- for others.

So far as I know he is a nationalized American, and he has more a duty to the country that gave him a home than that.

This is not about having respect for any religion, this is about protecting your country from attack. You would not allow the person living next door to you, your wife and kids, to play with explosives, but that is what you're doing when you tolerate putting the country at risk by playing with others' emotions in a way that can carry far greater consequences than just blowing up your house, and the one next door.

We live in a global community: it matters what happens in the Islamic world. It matters what our fellow citizens do to amuse themselves: what this man did to amuse himself should not be tolerated in these dangerous times. We just have to be smarter than that.

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perhaps a better example of what I was trying(lol) to explain/dig into:

September 11: I have every right to speak up, even if those words might not be nice for anyone in the US to hear, yet I also have enough common sense NOT to do so, out of respect of others whom might not "appreciate" it all that much.

(Clarification: I do not mean that I, rawkus, have negative stuff to say about it(9/11) - it was just an example.)

Or how about the pesky Greensboro baptist Church and its spokesman: He has every right to show his signs, scream obscenities etc. yet he could use his brain and choose NOT to do so, out of respect and considering the circumstances.

This guy knew, just like Terry Jones, what he was doing. Im curious to hear more about the claims that the actors supposedly had no clue about what the intent was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice