US

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by dandj, Sep 14, 2012.

1. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    so let me see if i understand you correctly - please help me if i am not clear on this.....enlighten me please :)

what you are saying is that because a person makes a film (which some find offensive) he is then equally responsible for others (acting upon their misguided oppresive religous faith) killing innocent people and destroying property

really?

you cant be serious about this

that is a more scary thought than thought of this bozo making a sequel

while there are many things one can do that may not be deemed appropriate (and to some degree i might agree in the sense that this was not done in the best of taste) there is no way you can lump him with the responsibility for this barbaric behavior.

if you are truly serious about a movie maker being just as responsible for this as the extremists...

ill make damn sure and watch my mouth when it comes to standing up against child molestors and slavery advocates too in case i accidentally piss one of those people off.

2. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    amen!!

:)

actually heard my brother say one time that he felt as though these right wing christian extremists killers were justified in blowing up abortion clinics

was equally shccked to hear such religous hatred - in the name of christianity too - wow

..........any faith that is okay with or justifies killing innocents, marrying children, raping women, oppresing people of the opposite sex, blowing up abortion clinics, treating people differently because of their skin color, robbing people, cheating people, stealing land

is demonic!!!!

just saying :)

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Diamond: Read it again :)

Edit: Just to clarify: I have no sympathy for religion, at all. Im not an Atheist per say, as I dont spend that much time denying something that I dont even believe exists.

To sum up my view of religion, regardless what type/branch: I dont care, at all. Thats it. I dont hate it(want to use my energy for other stuff) and I certainly dont love it. Simply dont care. If it makes other people happy, great! But as much as I respect them for believing in God, Allah, Buddha and what not, I sure hope that the same people respect me and my views. :)

4. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1

fair enough :)

i do have a very deep faith but not like anything you can see in any organized religon on this planet

cheers

rob

5. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    As for restrictions on freedom of speech… got a problem with the way some of you are interpreting it.

You can’t yell fire in a crowed theater because it put the immediate public THERE at risk.

To expand it to cover what happen here you’re saying that if someone makes a short film that really offends someone the offending person has the right to retaliate? Or is it that the maker should somehow face prosecution.

In other words, if I view an Obama commercial and it really offends me I can go burn down a Democratic voter office, or require that the film maker go to jail? Hmmmm... maybe Roger Moore should go check in at the nearest prison cause I know a lot of people are really offended and pissed off about his films.

Another major difference I see here is that when you have people that bomb an abortion clinic or shoot a doctor over abortions, other than a few weirdoes, everyone comes out against it, the church, the local priests, bishops and even the pope.

To equate to what is happening here, would be like all those people being silent and a few folks from the local church saying “Don’t judges us all by that, we’re really a peaceful bunch.”

Without the church leaders coming out to condemn the action, any apology is just being stated by the fringe of the group, not the leadership and therefore just pissing in the wind.

Jamie

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The comments contained in the letter to the editor I mentioned above come from the highest levels of leadership in Egypt.

The Grand Mufti for Saudi Arabia also chimed in on this issue, quoting Arab press, ""He warned that the enemies of the Prophet and Muslims achieve their goals when Muslims resort to violence. “Muslim rage is playing into the hands of their enemies when Muslims attack innocent people and set fire to public or private institutions. Such acts, in fact, damage the image of Islam, a situation the enemies of Islam seeks to create. Such acts go against the teachings of the Prophet, and are deplorable....”"

It has taken four hundred years of development, first of the ideas, then of the implementation, to put us where we are in the U.S., for example- having achieved an imperfect civil society. The Islamic World has not yet gone far down that path, and may never.

Instead of thinking we are so different, and better, as we can see from their response to insults to their religion, we have to be more sophisticated than that: we are different, they are different. They are even different within their own communities, divided between Sunni and Shiite, mainstream and fundamentalist, and divided as nations.

Now, given all that, what can we do to maintain a relationship with them that will be beneficial to all, and avoid war?

If an individual from within our own ranks, such as the producer of this film, takes action aimed at inciting violence and, as a reasonably forseeable consequence, places an entire nation at risk as a result, the nation has a duty, and with it the right, to act to prevent such actions, and to punish those who engage in them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Really V, do you expect that being politically correct with the Islamists is going to change anything?

Do you remember the old adage that one should never discuss religion or politics? The Islamists have combined both. They have to hate us to continue in power. Of all of Jimmy Carter's legacies none will exceed his stupidity in allowing the Islamists to become power hungry politicians.

8. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    first i hardly think the bozo who made the film for the purpose of "inciting violence" therefore, the reasonable forseeable consequence of punishment for simply producing a movie...........

sounds a lot like fascism to me, as fascism's goal is basically to promote the rule of people deemed innately superior while seeking to purge society of people deemed innately inferior.

ouch ugly word - but it does sound fascist

now

while the actions of this gentlemen are probably not socially acceptable to most people in this country they are no more depolorable than a man dressed in flip flops, short pants and a ragged baseball hat walking into a formal weddding without his t shirt on

both socially unaceptable - but certainly neither worthy of this level of vilification.

the reality is these people and these people alone need to take responsibility for their own stupidity - there is no one else to punish - just and them alone for their actions

......to allow them (or anyone else for that matter) to conveniently and flippantly blame their actions on others or associate them is a total disgrace to all natural law

the best

rob

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  9. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Now let me see if I've got this straight. The Muslims are not happy in Gaza or Egypt or Libya or Iran or Iraq or Syria or Yemen or Pakistan. Yet they are happy in Canada and the US and the UK and Australia and France and Italy and Sweden and Norway. So they're happy in all the non-Muslim countries and unhappy in all the Muslim countries.

Now who do they blame? They don't blame Islam or their leaders or themselves. They blame the countries they are happy in and then they want to change those countries to be like the countries they were unhappy in.

Now why do you think the term dumb asses comes to mind?

10. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5

Let me get this straight... if I tell the world that I'm going to kill you if I see another, let's say, baby picture. And someone walks up to me and shows me a baby picture and says "neener neener, neener!" then he should be punished when I kill you, not me cause I told you I was going to do it if I saw a baby picture?

This all makes me think of taking the whole "Don't talk about my mama!" to an extreme. Sounds more like a bunch of chavs looking for an excuse to go beat someone up.

What if a bunch of folks decided to say that Obama was a GOD to them and said if you said anything bad about him or drew a picture of him that the deemed offensive (and who knows what criteria they might be using) they would kill you. Then some guy at the NY Times made a joke about Obama and these folks burned the NY Times building to the ground killing a hundred people. Would you say, "Well they asked for it" and walk away?

I know there are thousands of years of history difference but thinking about it I really don't remember reading about too many jihads before the 70's so are we really talking about thousands of years? And no matter the time span, the principal is the same.

If you buy into that principal, then you'd better open a lot of jail cells because there are a lot of people in prison because they acted on stimulus that occurred after they said they would act if that stimulus occurred. "Honey if you cheat on me one more time I'm going to kill you!" They cheated and died but hey, they were warned.

Jamie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice