US passport problem

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by LK, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LK

LK Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wasnt sure where to post this. I have everything booked for March 13 and the earliest appointment I could get at the passport agency in NY is March 11th. Do you think I'll get my passport or am I out of luck? Anyone have experience with this?

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope I am wrong, but even with expedited services, it could take 2-3 weeks, and it can cost a lot more too. Check your states website for the exact time frame, but I highly doubt you can get it overnight. GOOD LUCK!!!

3. LK

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats expedited service through the post office. This is for people traveling in 2 weeks. I really hope I get it.

4. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    passports

I've heard of people getting passports within 24 hours in some cases. I'm not sure that your vacation booked before you had a passport in hand would qualify as an emergency to the passport office, however. All you can do is call the passport office and ask them if it's possible to get your passport before your trip...ask if there is a rush fee you can pay to have it expedited. Other than that, you are out of luck, I'm guessing.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you go to a Passport Office, a place where they can issue them, then they can make one the same day. An American I know got a Passport last Friday here in Merida because she'd lost hers. She drove over Friday morning and was back the same day with a new passport.

But just because they CAN give it to you same day doesn't mean they will. She had already missed her original flight back due to losing her passport, so it was an emergency.

6. LK

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anybody know the trouble I could get in to for bribing a government agent?? lol

Well I understand the thing about emergencies, people having to leave the country for family issues for example but then I know there are companies that charge you $200+ to get your passport within 24hours and I dont see how thats an emergency. I guess I'll see what happens and worst case scenario ill pay the $200 for them to do it for me.

7. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you were to mail your passport at your post office via express mail to the passport office on the application with a return envelope with paid express mail label on it, you should have your passport back within a week or less if you complete the application indicating that you are leaving in a few days. If you go to the passport office say today or Monday more then likely you will have the passport handed to you the same day if you are leaving in 2 or so days. If you are leaving say in 2 weeks then the mail version will do.

I just got my passport renewed via the express mail method in less then a week with a new passport in my hands.

8. LK

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried the post office at first but they told me it was too late. The government website says its two weeks with expedited and I went 2 and a half weeks before I needed it. My appointment was initially for this past Wed but I didnt have my plane tix yet.

I actually just spoke to a rep at the agency and they said I should be fine.

9. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should be good. I received my first passport in Munich, Germany at the U.S. Embassy there while I was serving in the military. If you made an appointment, they will probably complete the paperwork there and print your passport.

10. starydust

starydust Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you can get it same day in new york if your traveling with in a week good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice