US Embassy for Passport Renewal???

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by raretail, Apr 8, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My understanding is that the US Consul in Cancun sends the passports to Merida to be renewed. So you CAN go there to get a renewal. But the passport will say in it that it was issued at the Merida Consul. I could be wrong, but I don't think they can renew them here in Cancun, but they can send them to Merida for you.

2. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes that is what they do, saves you a trip to Merida.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The UK Consulate is located in the Royal Sands Hotel. A call should get the info you need.

United Kingdom
    Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 13.5 Hotel Royal Sands
    Cancun, Q. Roo. 77500
    Phone: (998) 881 0100

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My passport was renewed in July of 2007 using the offices of the US Consul at Plaza Caracol. My passport's origin is listed as "US State Dept." with no mention of any city. That's printed in the spot where New York, Washington, DC, etc was printed on my older passports.

I would never use the Mexican postal system for anything, let alone something like this. It would have to go by FedEx, DHL or even Estafeta. So even if the consul here in Cancun sends it on to Merida or even Mexico City, you know they're not dumping it into the box near Mercado 28 and you're not paying the soak that FedEx charges.

5. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am quite a bit closer to Caracol than Merida...I think I will go to Caracol. Thanks for all the replies!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I did wonder why you would want a US passport!

A British passport is easy. I havent needed to renew mine but we did get a brand new one issued for Dani a few years back, so I'm sure it's the same process.

You do need to go through the British Embassay in Mexico City. The consulate at the Royal Sands had all the forms we needed and we sent them DHL (plus paid return DHL) took 10 days if that and was easier to get than her Mexican passport.

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks that's what I was told from the Consulate. When Tracey said you could do it from Merida I thought she meant a UK one.
    Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice