US Dollars vs. Pesos

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by susan54, Aug 31, 2008.

1. susan54

susan54 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm taking my first trip the beginning of October. Trying to figure out what to do about money. Should I convert my money before I go or wait until I get to Cancun? If I wait, where is the best place to go to do this? I'm hearing from some to forget about traveler's checks--it's just not practical there. Is that true? Is it best to just have enough cash for tips and then use a card for the rest? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Personally I just take my bank card and hit the bank machines. Keeps it simple :)

3. miked

miked Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recpmmend cash, if you use atms you can be charge a service fee by the bank in mexico, then a service fee by your bank and a exchange fee. I don't trade my money in. I recommend that you go to the bottom of this forum go to cancun vacation guide on the left side of the page in the tourist tips they have money advice. You might find that really helpful. They ave alot of great info on this topic.

4. Tempt me

Tempt me Enthusiast Registered Member

Between St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville & Indy
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take 25-30 One ($1.00) dollar bills for tips (airport (US & Mexico), taxi/shuttle drivers, hotel baggage handlers, etc), Some $5.00s, $10.00s and MAYBE some $20.00s. I always carry $100.00 bills and it took me a couple of trips to wiseup/remember to take smaller bills. When you have the smaller bills you will get less change in Pesos but you can spend the Pesos on the bus, taxi, tips, and at the airport when your flight is delayed. If you don't like carring a lot of cash "on you" then roll some of the bills up with rubber bands and stick them in your carry on or hide them in your check luggage. Its not a problem once you get there b/c they have the in room safes. Personally, I just don't like using credit cards b/c I just don't want a bunch of vacation charges on my next bill, you just never know how much extra the cc company/merchant will ad on, try proving that the charge is wrong once you get back to the US and no telling who could have access to your cc number in Mexico (Yea, I am just as paranoid as the people who think the "hotelers" can access the in room safe -- We all have our different paranoids). Have fun.

5. PaulAndDarcy

PaulAndDarcy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Can you post a link Mike? BTW: See you in a week or so, I think we overlap..

Paul and Darcy

6. miked

miked Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. PaulAndDarcy

PaulAndDarcy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Thanks. We're putting the last touches on planning and getting excited about the trip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice