Upselling Or Not?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by FUNANDSUN, Feb 28, 2021.

1. JandCfATL

JandCfATL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    I haven't explored as of today and as long as value meets experience then there is no need but I am curious of what Temptaion in the DR will be like; may be completed in 2022. We disagree on the idea of upselling at an "all-inclusive" resort and that's fine, to each is own. I am booked two times this year so it doesn't effect me; at this time, I just do not want the resort to change too much from the one that we like so well.

2. JBW

JBW Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +275 / 4
    P.S. - They sell hookah as well if anyone wants to enjoy a puff or two poolside :)

Seriously, some of you make too much of a deal about this stuff, just stop! The same way you can easily walk away from buying into a timeshare at check in, you should have no issue saying no thank you to buying a bottle at the pool if you didn't want one. I've never had anyone chase me around the sexy pool trying to get me to buy anything i didn't want. Adding services/options for certain customers that may want on their vacation doesn't take anything away from your all inclusive if that's all you want, which is fine for most who go...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 2
    It's not so much as saying no or yes to a bottle of Champaign. It's more about the preferred seating and treatment that comes with it. Many of the prime locations at the pool and Bash are now attached to bottle service. At an all-inclusive you should have access to most areas, so in effect they are putting pressure on people to buy a bottle of way overpriced liquor, to have a full experience. Which most of us can easily afford but won't cause it's not the best tasting Champaign (and we're stubborn).

In Vegas I have no problem popping $$$ for pool cabana or seats at a nightclub .... its part of the game.. cheap flight and cheap hotels (even the nice ones), but you pap, pay, pay for everything else in Vegas. I'm surprised that Vegas Hotels haven't started charging for the air you are breathing while in the room. It's a slippery slope. Who knows maybe when you book a room in the future you can get "premium" air for $$.

I know most all inclusive hotels in Cancun have always had a "preferred" or "member" area. But those are known and included when booking is completed and you make your decision on what you can accept or not.

It'll be a sad day at TTR when it's all bottle service with 14 dudes (wearing white-rimmed sunglasses with Affliction t-shirts taking selfies with topless guests in the background) at each cabana or pool bed.

We have strayed a long way from the Saby conversation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Nahh, I'm still not having this upsell malarkey as being a thing to decide whether you should go (or continue going) or even complain about.

If you buy a new laptop, and they ask you if you want an extended warranty - is that an upsell or an optional extra? If you buy a new car and want to pay extra for metallic paint or heated seats is that an upsell or an optional extra. What about a new iPhone and they ask if you want a case or a screen protector? On your flight, is it acceptable to pay extra for more baggage or a seat in first class than someone who didn't ? Would you never use those vendors again because of those 'upsells'?

They are upsells but also optional extras, everyone starts with a base model, and they can add to that if they want. If you don't want it, just say no. It's not that difficult to say no, is it? We are all adults, aren't we?

It's the same at TTR. But there is no obligation, and in my experience, no pressure to buy anything more than the base model.

With 400+ rooms (800+ people) and maybe 10 cabanas that hold 4 people around the pool, how would you decide which 5% of guests can use one? Whoever comes down at 5am and throws their towel down first? That doesn't work.

In the Steakhouse, if you want a Tomahawk steak you have to pay extra. Or should everyone be offered the choice, or maybe first come, first served until they run out of meat? Not at $200 ish per night -it's not going to happen.

What about rooms, should you pay more for a Penthouse, or should every room be the same price and allocated on some random basis? If you get lucky you get a Penthouse, if not you paid more for a basic room. 98% of people won't get lucky.

It's about choices, choose if you want to or don't. But let's not make this into an issue, that it really isn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  5. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I was going to make a point similar to this.

I don’t see it as up selling, maybe upgrading. Perhaps the original comment could have been phrased better, meaning, at a all inclusive, it should be all included?

It’s a small resort and you’re going to have corner cases with more desirable spaces limited to certain people. If you’re a business, you attach privilege to dollars spent. Seems the most logical way to keep vacationers happy.

6. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 5
    I like this statement because it highlights that “all inclusive” has now joined the lexicon ranks of “military intelligence” and “friendly fire” and “the check is in the mail”.....meaning it just “isn’t”. Most is not all...unless you work for the government....
    I am sorry but ALL INCLUSIVE should mean that All (everything) is inclusive (included) in my old school brain. Maybe that is too much to ask for and I have been too blind to the money grabbing evolution that has been going on around me but isn’t that up to us as the consumer to vote with our dollars?
    With a year of Covid nobody really knows if it is the business model or they are just looking for ways to maximize revenue. But the champagne bubble chairs at the pool, the bottle service at Bash, Sky Bar and a number of other things (not talking about Premiere as I put that in a separate class and not a charge, it is a different experience and should have differences) have been getting a price attached to them to partake at what is billed as an ALL INCLUSIVE since before Covid??
    Maybe calling it all inclusive and charging for everything except the air you breathe and the gravity you use will be the future......but it will be a future without me and my dollars .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Trish

Trish I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    This'll be a new experience next visit. I find the whole 'finding a chair' thing chaotic without exclusive areas you pay bottle service to access. After a few days of late nights, I have neither the motivation or physical capability to be up and reserving a pool lounger at 5am. Those that do get the best seats. I'm fine not using a lounger at all and just asking if I can put my stuff down next to someone elses, because I'm not dealing with that headache. I'm on holiday. I don't want to have to schedule an alarm to get a decent seat. If it's gonna be a whole day at the pool, the idea of paying extra for a decent seat that day is appealing...if it wasn't champagne. I can't taste the difference, it's a waste of money to me. A decent bottle of tequila or vodka on the other hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 5
    Steve....sorry, have to: if people are willing to pay $20 more for a certain spot on the boat or for $50 for better liquor does that mean the BC SHOULD do it? Selling TShirts as an option does not take away from the full experience if you choose not to buy, but limiting to prime parts of the experience to those paying extra is different? I think the point people on one side are frustrated and new people are trying to understand is that you definitely COULD do it but then you are changing the deal and taking away from the experience they thought they were buying into! When does it stop and when does ALL go to most, to then “some” to then “little” to then NON. Welcome to TTR the best ALL* (see attached exclusions) Inclusive in Mexico??
    But back to the main question, if they truly are firing GOOD people because of some algorithm that says they did not sell enough at an all inclusive, they definitely can do that...but should they?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. JandCfATL

JandCfATL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Entertainment dollars and utilitarian dollars are spent in much different manners. I understand that the common business practice in North America is to upsell and cater to those willing to spend money on the elitist/enhanced experience. The value of entertainment of TRR is what made me value the experience over other resorts in Cancun and/or DR so it all comes down to value of experience and entertainment for me. Everyone's experience is different and while I haven't been there in over a year the original thread commented on changes viewed by a quality repeat customer. If I view the only way for me to enjoy and experience the full extent of my vacation is to spend more than I'm willing to, then that is when quality repeat business is depleted. Moving people further away from the full experience for a money grab is what I do not like, malarkey or not. As you say I can just say no to upsell and at some point; which I haven't determined when or if that will be, alternatives can be explored. To say they are the only game in town is not completely accurate. Changes are inevitable but my point is that the changes should not adversely affect the overall experience for valued customers.

10. dallascpl

dallascpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    If we are talking 10 spots (max 40 people) out of 800 people for premium bottle service real estate I think it is great. I understand the argument of feeling like you are a 2nd class customer if you aren't at certain overpriced seats but 40 spots sounds like it would just be for special occasions. If a group celebrating something wants to have a "VIP" spot up front popping overpriced champagne it will just add to the fun for everyone really. If those 40 spots were available to anyone I would never get them anyways because I wouldn't be up early to throw a towel on it. At least people up front and center will be more likely to be in party mode adding to the vibe instead of someone tanning or taking a nap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice