UPDATED-- Hurricane Dean (Cat 5)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I agree, even this far out we are pretty much smack bang in the centre of the 5 day cone. There has to be some big deviation from the majority of forecast models for us not to be affected in some way, whether that be by tropical storm force winds or hurricane winds.

If you do have a vacation planned for early next week then I think it's probably time to seriously consider your options. I know I would be.

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that's probably wise advice.

If you biught trip insurance I think it mightbe time to contact your travel agents and think about alternate dates.

3. BrianL

BrianL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Hitting Jamaica won't affect the hurricane's direction at all. It might weaken it slightly but it won't help it turn to the north or anything. That has to do with how strong the ridges are and other things come into affect like the strength of the troughs and lows, which is why it is sooo difficult to predict where a hurricane is going to go.

Anyway, from how things are going so far this afternoon, its starting to look like its going to take a more northernly track..... which would be great for Cancun. More and more models are starting to inch there way more and more WNW. I'm interested in seeing the ones from tonight.... the models when they get released as the night goes on. I'd say more will follow the GDFL (updated picture of it below).

[​IMG]

Thats a monster of a storm.... missing cancun and heading towards Lousiana/Mississippi.

4. Max32

Max32 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all

Just been watching fox news (we get that in the UK on satellite TV). If Dean keeps going the way it is then Cancun WILL get hit BUT the weather guy said that its moving VERY fast so wont dump to much rain AND as soon as it hits it looks like its intensity will drop to Cat 1. It looks like Cancun wull get a short and sweet battering- (if Ive interpreted what the weather guy said correctly) which is NOT good BUT better than Wilma that hung around for AGES!!

We go to BBG on the 12th Sept so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what damage it does. I'm preparing myself for the worst e.g. we cant go - gonna ring my tour operator in a day or so and see what they have to say.

I have to send out my thoughts and prayers to the guys in Texas and that area as they are suffering HUGE flooding from Erin and after Dean has finished with the Yucutan It's gonna batter Texas and that area again - which is just terrible for them - poor things.

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would actually welcome some rain if it accompanies a cool down of some sort here in north Texas. Austin (in central Texas) is enjoying temps of down to the 80's F thanks to ex-Tropical Storm Erin, while we're still sweltering in the 100's.

My kiddies and their grandparents postponed their trip up here from San Antonio by a day to let all that rain between them and us pass.

6. Max32

Max32 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I'm glad to hear that youre OK. Bloody weather eh? - The UK has been hit by real bad floods lately - luckily where we live - its so hilly that the water just rolls on by us LOL
    xxxxx

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Officially Category 2 now. 100mph sustained winds gusts to 115mph

zeo0_3gN190[/media]]Reminds me of this song

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  8. CRAZYMIKE

CRAZYMIKE Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve and all you who live down there, Start planning on where to go for Monday night. Be safe guys

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  9. CoWbOi_HoLDiNg

CoWbOi_HoLDiNg Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    check out the sat pics on-

http://stormcarib.com

looks like hes just about to make contact with the first caribbean islands, not good!

10. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve what's the link to that map? It looks like wunderground but I can't find it on the wunderground site.
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice