UPDATED-- Hurricane Dean (Cat 5)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Aug 13, 2007.

1. svtcobra242

svtcobra242 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    man, the more reaserch I do, the more it looks like it will hit CUN. I read one report, that it might reach winds of 125.
    I hope everything goes well and I dont lose out on $2500. I know it is nothing compared to the damage it may cause.
    And yes I did not purchase insurance......DOW!!!!!!!!!

2. Bainsey

Bainsey Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay what if everyone in Cancun turns there Air Con Fans on now and helps blow the hurricane in the opposite direction. Will that help? :shock: :wink:

Seriously though, I really hope this steers clear of cancun somehow as I really dont want my first experience of this wonderful place to be tarnished through the mess left after Dean has passed through! :cry:

3. Max32

Max32 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am keeping EVERYTHING crossed that this bugger will veer away from Cancun - I remember last year before we were due to go it was hurricaine ernesto that I was watching like a hawk - that wasnt forecast as heading as directly towrds Cancun as Dean is BUT it veered WAY north and ended up no where near Cancun or Florida for that matter. No one needs this - but it is the season I guess. I'll just have to keep watching and hoping.

If the worst happens and it does hit - I will be thinking of you all out there in beautiful Cancun and will be praying that its not too bad!!!

xxxxx

4. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    couldnt agree with you more! To most people its a non issue, like some of my co-workers. They didnt even realize a storm was out there! But to people like us who visit each year and have frineds living there.....its a huge issue! Fingers crossed and prayers for you all!

5. harrisca1

harrisca1 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    September 1 - Cancun or Bust!

All this news about Dean is beginning to worry me. I'm glad I came across this board. I'll be following the storm closely over the next few weeks. We're in Houston, so there is a possibility that we will get hit with a double whammy - Cancun gets hit before we leave on vacation, then Houston gets hit as we're leaving for vacation. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed! Perfect timing, no less...I guess we should have known better than to book a vacation in the middle of hurricane season.

Was Wilma a cat. 4?

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wilma was a cat 5, though I have heard rumours that many scientists believe it should actually have been called a cat 6.

7. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    you can do a search uptop and type in key words WILMA, there are a lot of older topics with pics and stuff from those from this board who were they and took pictures and have told of their tales from the storm!

8. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Not only that, but didn't Wilma hover over Cancun for over 24 hrs? Instead of continuing its course west it decided on a holiday at the beach like everyone else!

9. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I think it might have actually been longer than 24 hours...sitting in that shelter it seemed like 24 days.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Yes, Wilma was a Cat 5 at one point although from what I recall it weakened to Cat 4 once it hit land. The problem, as Michael mentioned, is that it just sat heer for 24+ hours.... although, at the time, it seemed like much longer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice