UPDATED-- Hurricane Dean (Cat 5)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Did it rain last night? I dont know I slept through the whole night.

I've only surveyed my nearby area at the moment, no trees down, satellite dishes still affixed to roofs, a few puddles but no standing flood water, no power outages. I understand the airport never needed to close either (unconfirmed). Winds no higher than 30/40mph I'd guess.

I would expect tourists (the few that are here) had a comfortable night, few if any hotels evacuated in the end. I guess their worse concerns were that alcohol was stopped from being served and the clubs were closed.

Things are clearing already and we may even see some sunshine today. Tomorrow, if not today, will be back to normal business for Cancun.

2. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very good to hear! I was watching some weather channel footage this morning and it looked like Majahual was taking a serious beating. That whole town can't be more than 10-15 feet above sea level. Prayers and thoughts for all the people down that way and I am glad all of you guys in Cancun are safe and sound.

3. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Happy to hear that things are good there in Cancun in general and with all of you. That is too bad though about further South, hopefully there is no loss of lives.

I remember after Wilma trying to find info about the status of Cancun, that is when I found this website, and became addicted to it. :D This is a great source of information and also your other website that you set up for the hurricane info. All of you that live there have posted such good up to date info about the hurricane now, and just good information before.

Good luck and hopefully it will be sunny today for you!!

4. Rob0829

Rob0829 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

Very glad to hear that the residents of Cancun seem to be unharmed. And that the area of Cancun seems to be in good shape.

A question that I have is does anyone know what the word out of Puerto Aventuras is? I have a trip scheduled starting Sept. 1 and I was curious as to how hard this area was hit. Thanks.

5. k-r-c

k-r-c Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im watching CNN (albeit on SKY in the uk) but they have a reporter there standing next to the beach at one of the hotels.

The sea is looking very rough, but the sea doesnt seem to be coming over the wall.

There was some flooding not to far from where hes reporting i think. But they havent had a chance to survey the damage around the area yet as the wind is still very stong there.

6. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Great to hear steve!! I was watching live updates on weather.com and other news channels from their live people "in the field" and from what they saw and where showing, you are completely right!! Will continue to look for updates, happy to hear all is well!

7. MignonA

MignonA Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear all went well Steve, I'm curious about the folks further south of you. Wow, you slept through it, that's great. I don't even live there and kept checking the weather channel. I know today is going to be another busy day for all of you. Thanks for the great updates on the hurricanecancun website and I shall be in Cancun on Sunday.

Mignon and John

8. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    YAY!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOO glad everyones ok!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Beverly

Beverly 2nd day member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear that everyone in Cancun is okay and it didn't get hit hard like before. See all of you soon. Hopefully in Oct.

10. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like good news for Cancun and surrounding area. Seems the media was making every attempt to make it sound more devastating than it turned out to be. Quoting CNN: "the storm is raging in land moving at 20 mph". Raging? 20 mph?

Thanks for the updates all!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice