UPDATED-- Hurricane Dean (Cat 5)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Agreed...gotta keep an "eye" on this one. Even if it does not hit 'cun, your flight may have to manuever around the storm to get there.

2. svtcobra242

svtcobra242 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will def keep looking into this one. they said it should hit Puerto Rico on Sunday. Hopefully it wont lean Nwest to CUN. if so, I will be screwed, because I am schedule to fly in on Wednesday.
    Ill appreciate any info.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Hurricane Dean" doesn't sound good in a sound bite, so I don't think it's going to amount to much...now if it had a better name that would be different.

4. jeffNalisa

jeffNalisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 1
    We arrive on Sunday so our travel plans shouldnt be affected. I.m just worried about the actual trip next week. Oh boy....

5. Bainsey

Bainsey Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just looked at the link of the previous poster, can't see how that is anywhere near Cancun. Dean looks to be going between Haiti and Jamaica, not this way at all. The other little red dots above Cancun are a different tropical depression moving away from us. Don't panic!

Again, the National Hurricane Center site is the best option for predictions....here's their latest five day path....

[​IMG]

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Not so sure Kelly, it's where it goes after Haiti/Jamaica that we need to wonder about. Two of the several models shown suggest close calls.

[​IMG]

But then if you look at the history (of all past August hurricanes within 300 miles of where Dean is right now) most of them veer northwards. The northwards movement this one seemed to have a day or two appears to have been supressed somewhat. But then again most of the past hurricanes didnt move North until further along their path.
    [​IMG]

One thing is almost for sure though, it will increase in intensity as it crosses the warm Caribbean waters. Still far too early to make any assumptions or take panic measures though.

8. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Side note: Tropical Storm Erin has just formed in the Gulf and is headed straight for the southern tip of Texas. Thankfully, my babies and their grandparents left Mustang Island back for San Antonio yesterday...

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Steve and Michael. I'm not unpacking the generator yet!

10. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Way to early for anything accurate yet. Almost a week away yet.

Every update has taken it further South. In a few days it's be heading for Venezuela. :)

If your generator has been sitting all year and you forget to drain the gas out of it, it would pay to pull it out now and clean out the gas lines and run it on some fresh gas.

If you leave it until just before the hurricane and you don't have the skills to dismantle and clean out carburettors yourself, you may find the engine fixit man is too busy to help you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice