UK Driving License

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Apr 25, 2012.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Mum (in England) recevied a letter saying i had to renew the photo on my photocard license. It turns out that I cannot because to do that I have to be a resident in the UK. I have lost my paper version so I was wondering how difficult it is to get a local driving license and what i need to do to get it? The DVLA tells me that my license is still valid until 2049 (the date on the back) even if the photo isn't (the date on the front) but i wouldn't like to try and convince someone here following an accident or a problem that my license is legit when it clearly says 4b License Valid to 19-03-12 on the front!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    If your UK licence was still valid they'd give you a Mexican one on that basis with no test other than eye test. You have to go to the Transito Police Station beyond Walmart towards Kabah.

Since it's now expired, if they spot it then you'll have to take the driving test which when Jannet did it a few years ago consist of reversing a car into a cone box and driving out again. That's it!

Note, however, they will only issue a licence for as long as your FM2/3 is valid, which means regular renewals and why I didn't bother renewing my Mexican licence after my first one expired.

3. bt

bt Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    easy to get-take FM2-or 3 with you plus passport & proof of residence elec.bill/phone bill, and your current license -fill out the form they give you- take eye test, & pay for new license-about 1-2 hrs have had mine for aboutfive yrs now

4. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. So Steve, do you just show your UK passport and is it just a paper one, if your Mexican one is expired? That sucks if you have to renew it every year, far too much effort along with the visa renewal!

I'm not sure if i can handle that 'difficult' test so i'll try and get Ingrid to convince them that it technically is valid, considering i have 37 years left on it, just the photo that isn't.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    I got my only Cancun licence 7 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy, but I had the photo licence then and produced that when they issued my Mexican one. I renewed all my official stuff shortly before leaving the UK to live here.

I've been stopped by the cops about 3 times in almost 8 years. If I recall I didnt have my licence on me at all. I dont usually carry it, but have a photocopy in the glove box which seemed to be ok.

Can you not get your Mum to renew it for you and have someone bring it over?

Failing that I would rely on the fact that your licence is valid just the photo has expired. I will when mine expires in 2014 if I don't have an updated one.

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Sam I renewed my licence online about 18 months ago- they can use your current passport photo.I probably used my mums address.
    Have you checked DVLC online?

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Tracey, yeah i did look online, i was about to submit and i called my mum for a number and told her it said 'if you are not a UK resident, you can't do this' and she freaked out, thinking i'd go to jail and stuff! I emailed the DVLA and they just told me to go the local driving license authority here in Cancun and if i need a certificate to prove i have a license, i can pay 5 pounds and they can fax me one to Cancun. I'll go to the driving license place here and see what they say, unless i can convince my mum to not stress so much!

8. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I let my Florida DL expire a few months ago (knowing I was FT in Cancun) and went to the Transito Police Station with my FM2, Passport and a bill from Telmex. The process was relatively painless (outside of the blood-type pin-prick). You are sent to various sections (eye-test, blood-type, photocopy and so on) and pay a small amount (cash, in pesos) and then once it is all completed you pay the final amount and then wait to get your license. No driving test was required, even though I had not current/valid DL at the time. I was given a provisional license that is good for several months. I am to go back when it expires and if I haven't had any tickets or accidents, then I can get my permanent license.

9. PatoPan

PatoPan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Valgunn, did anyone specify that the conditions for a full license were that you don't get any tickets or accidents? Last year I renewed my "provisional" license, and was told that I couldn't have a permanent one until I was Mexican!

10. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was told that I go to the section which checks for violations, and if it is clear then I can then get the permanent license with no issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice