U.S. Tourist Visa

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JenMan, Feb 6, 2009.

1. JenMan

JenMan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has any non-American either applied or known someone who has applied for a U.S. Tourist Visa in the Cancun area? I understand the actual consulate is in Merida with some consular services in Cancun. Two questions...

-Can a Mexican national apply for a tourist visa in Cancun or does it have to be done in Merida?
    -Was it a painful process?

The official U.S. web-site gets vague and they want to charge per minute + long distance charges to answer a question so I thought I'd just try my luck here first.

My husband and I live in Canada but want to bring my step-daughter (who lives in Cancun with her Mom) to Toronto for a visit this summer and were thinking about a trip to DisneyWorld as well. My husband, who is Mexican and has Canadian Permanent Residence, already has his U.S. tourist visa.

Thanks in advance
    -jennifer

2. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless things have changed - has to be done in Merida. It's timely, and a tad costly, but that's the way it has to be done.

Your husband may be able to do something from the US consulate in TO for your step-daughter. Worth a shot??!!

Good luck!

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could probably get all of the info by simply walking into the Consular Agency in Cancun, but you most definitely need to apply for the visa in Merida.

What I remember about the procedure is this: you have to call for an appointment and that appointment (at which the visa will either be granted or denied) cost (a few years back) $100. I imagine that it's more now.

The USCIS website will probably also walk you through the process. uscis.gov. I found all the necessary instructions and forms on that website, as well as the filing information. It was surprisingly clear!

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gbchayctca is correct about the appt. but I would check about the requirements for a minor, they may need either both parents or a notarized letter from the Father. You shopuld be able to find everything out At the US Consular Agency in Canada if there is one near you.

5. JenMan

JenMan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. U.S. Consulate here is like Fort Knox so I can't really get near it and we probably will have more luck next time we're in Cancun to ask questions and make the appointment in Merida. It sounds hopefull.

Thanks again

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My friend just went through this today. She got the DS-156 form off the internet, filled it out online and printed it, one for her and one for each of two children. She already had set an appointment for Friday. She then had to go to Banamex (her bank) and it was $3,850 for the fee that had to be paid in advance of her appointment in Merida. She is applying for a 10 year Vissa for herself and her daughter and a 5 year one for her young son. The teller at the bank had a sheet of paper with the cost in peso's based on today's exchange rate. She had to pay in pesos but the fee is in dollars.

It seems to me that the 2-10 year fees were about $120 US each while the one for the 5 year Vias was only $31 US.

I know for sure that if one parent takes a child out of the country, the other parent has to provide a notarized permission for it to be allowed. I do not know if there is a special form, nor do I know if it has to be in both Spanish and English but it has to be in Spanish for sure for the minor child to be permitted to leave.

She did absolutely nothing with the Cancun office. Everything is happening in Merida. I don't know the lead time for the appointment but hers was less than two weeks from when she called to set it up.

Hope this helps.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J,

When I have taken Sofie to the States. I have not needed notarized permission from her father. Has this rule just changed?

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saffire,

I don't know 100% for sure but that is what I was told. But if may be different if YOU were a Mexican citizen.

I do know that if an American brings a minor child to Mexico, if one or both of his or her parents are not traveling with the child, then notarized permission must be given, granting some named person permission to take their child abroad.

I cannot say if every single airline ticket agent and immigration officer follows the law to the letter. I have personal experience with the American to Mexico example but not with a non-Mexican to the USA, nor with a Mexican taking a Mexican out of the country. I actually heard this from a Mexican mom and also from a non-Mexican dad with Mexican children and a Mexican wife.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is not strictly true. About 3 years ago Mexican law changed and all Immigration agents were given a directive that relaxed the rules. Now a child can come to Mexico with only one parent and without permission from the other parent.

BUT the immigration agents almost universally disagree with this change in the rules, so they ask for the letter anyway! And the airlines reps never got the memo about the rule change, so they insist on the letter before they let you on the plane.

So you need the letter, even thought the law says you do not.

10. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, now THAT clears it up! Just do it and shut up! A lesson I learned at home many years ago.

I was completely lost, turned around and confused with "I have personal experience with the American to Mexico example but not with a non-Mexican to the USA, nor with a Mexican taking a Mexican out of the country. I actually heard this from a Mexican mom and also from a non-Mexican dad with Mexican children and a Mexican wife," but then when I heard that the law says one thing but nobody pays any attention to it, :huh: :lol: I knew exactly where I was!! Home, sweet Home! Cancun, Mexico.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice