Tylenol warning

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Jun 13, 2010.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was looking for a big bottle of Tylenol in Florida and cannot find any at Walmart, Target and 3 grocery stores. It finally dawned on me to ask a pharmacist what was up.

They have been told by their home office to remove all of several versions of Tylenol. I had heard about the Children's Tylenol recall a few months ago but apparently it has been extened to the Regular Extra Strength Tylenol and some other versions.

I was told today in a call to Cancun and was told that they are still on the shelves there. My suggestion is to avoid this product for a while as the recall may not be of interest to the merchants in Cancun. The Walmart guy here near my Florida home told me that their Equate brand had the same active ingredient as Tylenol but that it was safe as one of the inactive ingredients was the problem.

I tried a quick Google and all I could find was:

Tylenol recall 2010: Another setback for Johnson and Johnson unit - CSMonitor.com but it is 1:15 am and I am tired and foggy.

But no more Tylenol for me until I can figure out what is the deal.

This is all hear say, based on empty shelves, and that is good enough for me. Please be careful.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    t.j. i saw ensure yesterday at the mega store by costco in the phamacy dept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!kenew you were looking a while back

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the heads up! I read the article and luckily it doesn't sound serious, but best to stay away for the time being. :)

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The only truly serious danger that Tylenol (and other OTC drugs that contain acetaminophen) pose to us is that they can be highly toxic to the liver. In a study in which healthy subjects took the maximum recommended daily dose of Extra Strength Tylenol for two weeks, all had abnormal liver function tests at the end of the study.

Combine significant alcohol and acetaminophen consumption, and you've put yourself on a road to liver failure. It's easy to get into the danger zone, even if you don't overdo the Tylenol, because so many other OTC drugs contain acetaminophen: use more than one of them at the same time, and getting way too much becomes a possibility.

One of the more popular ways to kill oneself in the U.S. is gulping down a large amount of Tylenol. There is no antidote, and death results...from liver failure.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy - Thanks but I was looking for Boost. Ensure I can get. Appreciate it though.

All others - All I know is that Tylenol Extra Strength is off the shelves in Florida, yet Motrin and Advil seem good to go.

I am passing on it for the time being. It wouldn't be off the shelves if not for a good reason. Multiple pharmacies told me the product had been recalled for something having to do with the coating of the medicine that was making people sick.

6. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Tylenol sold in Mexico is made in a factory in Mexico.

That factory is NOT having problems with contamination.

Surprise!

I've never used the stuff. It's bad shit.

If a Mexican kid gets a slight fever, the Mum's are shoving Tylenol down it's throat in no time flat. Crazy.

7. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah well you dont drink Drewbert! The rest of us NEED Tylenol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice