Two Canadians injured in Mexican strip-club shooting

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by CrazyCunuk, Jan 2, 2009.

1. CrazyCunuk

CrazyCunuk Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thought I would post this as a reminder to all SP’ers that the same caution you take at home should be used while on Vacation. Don’t do anything that you wouldn’t do at home and hopefully everyone comes back safe.

See ya all down there !!

Two Canadian tourists are in stable condition in hospital after being shot in a nightclub in the resort city of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

Baja California state police investigator Omar Barajas told The Canadian Press that the gunmen fled after the shooting, which took place early Tuesday at Mermaid's Table Dance strip club.

No one has been arrested in relation to the incident.

The injured Canadians have been identified in the Mexican newspaper Tribuna de Los Cabos as Donguyen Ninhtrung, 26, and Michel Brenhan Spowe, 28, both from Vancouver.

The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the incident but said that they are not releasing the names of the victims, or details on their condition, in order to protect their privacy.

Foreign Affairs spokesperson Daniel Barbarie told CTV.ca that consular officials are in contact with Mexican authorities, the hospital in the area and the victims' families.

"We're still investigating the situation," Barbarie said.

The Mexican newspaper said the younger Canadian was shot in the neck, while the other was hit in the chest and the leg.

The shooting is the latest in a string of high-profile incidents involving Canadian tourists in Mexico.

Canadian Bouabal Bounthavorn, 29, was shot to death in his hotel room in Cabo San Lucas in May 2008. His girlfriend was also wounded in the attack.

Domenic and Nancy Ianiero of Woodbridge, Ont. were found murdered at a resort near Playa del Carmen, Mexico in February 2006.

Another Woodbridge resident, 19-year-old Adam DePrisco, died outside an Acapulco nightclub in January 2007.

A Mexican doctor said the teen died after being struck by a hit-and-run driver, but DePrisco's family maintained he was beaten to death.

Jeff Toews of Grande Prairie, Alta. died in May 2007 in Cancun after partying in a nightclub. Mexican authorities say he fell from the second floor of his hotel.

Toews' family claimed at the time that his injuries came from a severe beating.

With files from The Canadian Press

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...emid=CTVNews/20090101/mexican_shooting_090101

2. trigger2002

trigger2002 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Always seems to be canadians popping up in these stories do mexicans not like the canucks lol

3. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    lol it can happen anywhere, just mind your P's and Q's and you will be fine! I also heard of a woman jumping from a cruise ship off cancun over the holidays.......... not sure what ever happend to her?

4. trigger2002

trigger2002 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The worst one i read was the chinese guy getting his throat slit i believe that was drug related though. I was always alone at night there only saw people go in club with for first hour then end up wandering allover place and have never had a problem really.

5. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The authorities thought that she may have committed suicide. I think that there was shipboard video of her going over and she had a history of personal problems.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28455504/

6. cancunkrazy

cancunkrazy Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well i guess it all comes down to, if it dont feel right, don't do it, a general rule i go by, better safe than sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice