Turtle Releases?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
  2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Tori is up to her eyeballs in that. :)

She was releasing them last night.

Might want to check with her.

Jamie

3. den&holly

den&holly Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We haven't been down this year - but for the past couple of years we always have fun with the baby turtle releases down by Club Regina. Usually we are there in Sept, but I'm sure they do it all season. There is a group of private residences between Club Regina and the Bel Air where they collect and rebury the turtle eggs in a protected/fenced area in front of their fence. The security guards collect the baby turtles as they hatch and then put them in crates for people to release. If you go there during the day - ask the guard if they have any and what time to return. We have spent many nights on the beach helping to collect the eggs - you have to be really patient and quiet so not a good idea for kids, especially since it is midnight or later.

4. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a Hotel sponsored thing. We aren't even located too close to a public entrance for staggers to come by. We do get ppl from neighboring hotels that don't have a program set up, but no locals...other then employees families. It is truly an amazing experience, and being on the other side of the rope, helping the babies into the water, where as the guests can't get that close, adds a whole other level of emotion.

5. annieosanto

annieosanto Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to respond to this....Tori's comment is so true......we have been lucky enough several times to be able to release the babies into the water.....whole other level for sure ! I'm pretty much obsessed with sea turtles - absolutely love them and nothing is better than coming to Cancun each year and partake in such an amazing experience :)

Less than 3 weeks for us !!

Annie

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    Yeah Jamie I saw Tori's post about it on FB, that's what prompted me to post here but presumed her event would be a hotel thing.

Our eldest has done it twice with school and once at a public event in previous years. I've not heard of any open to the public events so far this year but havent really been looking to be honest.

It's a shame that regular local kids cannot get more involved. It's their environment and it can only help the kids learn to respect it.

7. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    I've been spoiled through the years being a tourist of course. But what's the range of the turtles and are there public beaches accessible for residents to get to? Sounds like a very cool experience.

8. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Steve, if you friend the Royal Sand's facebook page then they announce when they will be doing a release. You can access the beach area by Playa Delfines and walk along the beach to the hotel. There's weren't many people when we went and Alex freed about 6 turtles.

9. iacouple45

iacouple45 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice