tulum, chichen itza, coba

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by jefe, Jun 1, 2008.

1. jefe

jefe Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    which is the best tour tulum, chichen itza or coba? We are for sure going to Isla Mujeres. Which of these tours should we include snorkeling or should we do a separate tour for snorkeling at Paradise Snorkeling? We will be in Cancun June 10 -17th for our honeymoon.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I would say Chichen Itza if you had to pick one. Tulum and Coba are cool but Chichen Itza is the biggie and named one of the 7 new wonders of the world.

For snorkeling I wouldnt count any of the above although you may be able to snorkel a cenote (sinkhole) on the Chichen Itza trip. Isla Mujeres would be ideal to combine with snorkeling, other options would be Puerto Morelos and Xel Ha.

Please check out my pageson tours for pics, video and more detail on these:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/Cancun_Tours/

3. jefe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tulum/Xpu-ha

Steve,
    our trip is with cheapcaribbean.com and we have unlimited tours and we want to know if you are familiar with the tulum/Xpu-Ha tour. We see that you recommend the Chichen Itza Tour and we are still trying to figure out what to do. I have been to Cancun with my daughters before and now I am going with my new husband because I love Cancun and for sure we will be doing the Isla Mujeres! What is Xpu-Ha anyway? Is that just a hotel?

4. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Xpu-Ha Palace was (and now is, again?) an ecological park in the vicinity of Tulum. When I was there it had the best beach I had ever experienced...they had floating mats which you could almost fall asleep on as the gentle waves/current keeps you close to the shore. There are restaurants on site (A/I). I imagine if you are booked at a Palace resort each person will be given a towel card. Take this with you, as it should work at Xpu-Ha as well. There are various jungle animals in enclosures ranging from spider monkeys to crocs to coatimundi. One can also go diving from there. You will only have half a day, so just use it to enjoy the beach is my recommendation.

**Disclaimer: Xpu-Ha Palace a couple years back was the subject of a suit by peeps claiming to be landowners and briefly it was shut down. Also it has been through a couple hurricanes, so things could potentially be different since I've been there. However, as it is a Palace operation I have no doubt that they have made it a wonderful place to visit again. Please provide a TR upon your return so we can understand what is new there!

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I thought Xpu Ha had closed and I wasnt aware of it re-opening, but I could well be wrong on that.

Do you perhaps mean Tulum/Xel Ha which is a very popular tour?

6. jefe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tulum/Xpu-ha

on our intinerary it says tulum/ Xpu-ha one of the unlimited tours we have access to among others(chichen itza, ek-balam/valladolid, tulum/xpu-ha, isla mujeres, coba, wet amd wild, and paradise snorkeling)

what would you choose if you were in cancun for 7 nights?

7. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The only all-inclusive I'm aware of that includes free excursions to all those locations is the Palace resorts. Originally, there was the Tulum/Xpu-Ha excursion, which was scrubbed/altered due to the aforementioned problems at the Xpu-Ha Palace. Looks like (without fanfare) things have changed back for the better. Lemme lurk around for some news...

8. jefe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks steve - and we are staying at the sun palace - thus the unlimited tours!

9. Starjm

Starjm Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are Palace members & have been on most of the tours. Of the archeological tours, my husband liked Ek Balaam/Valladolid the best. He says that you can actually see all of it in the time you are there. There is a death god temple where you can see actual carvings that you don't see anywhere else. It is less crowded and undiscovered. He says that Chitzen Itza is spectacular, but you can't see it all in one day and they are much more rigid there with what you are allowed to do and where you are allowed to go. Coba is nice but it is too short a time there and not enough excavated. Tulum is nice, compact & right by the water where you can cool off (although there is no shade by the ruins). We enjoyed the accompanying trip to the Xpu-ha Palace where we could snorkle, relax and use the all-inclusive. Our favorite snorkling trip is not included, but very reasonable - the Jungle Tour. We have not been to Paradise Snorkling or Wet & Wild but have heard both favorable & unfavorable reviews. We always enjoy the trip to Isla Mujeres, but have not been there since the Palace opened the hotel there (which I assume only makes it better!). Make sure you check the days that these tours are offered as soon as you get there because a couple are only offered one day a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice