Trucks- Tundra or F150

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by marshe, Mar 9, 2018.

1. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Thanks for your suggestion.

A workmate has a 15 Canyon and loves it, and I must admit tge Colorado and Canyon are ewsy on the eyes.

Ya I outgrew the mini-pickup phase when we moved to the cuntry 20yrs ago.
    Our first house was 10 acres and now we have a bigger spread with 12 acres of bush.
    I move a lot of stuff and need 4x4 and full-size.

But in in the years to come as we scale down I will turn back to the smaller P/U and perhaps it will be a Chevy, depemding how the NEW Rangers stack up when the time (approx 5yrs) comes to trade down.

But I have always found Chevy are prone to premature rust, maybe they have improved

2. Garry n Jo

Garry n Jo Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 9
    I would say go with the F150. My buddy has a 2018 with the Ecoboost and he loves it. I also like the 5.0. One think I like about both the scoboost and the 5.0 is the enging bay has plenty of room work on it when that time comes.

3. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Funny I was just on the phone as you posted, to the sales guy for the Platnum trying to sweeten my deal a bit more.
    And now he has thrown a curveball...with a good deal on a Lariat

4. Garry n Jo

Garry n Jo Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 9
    Both are really nice for sure.

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    I don't know that much about trucks, so clearly not the guy to take advice from. But I have had great success with Toyota's. They really hold their value, and take a beating. Just traded in my 06 Toyota FJ Cruiser towards a 16 Tacoma. It need extensive repairs and had 180K+ miles on it. They still gave me 8K for it.

The Tacoma TRD i grabbed is awesome, and even has a certified lift done by Toyota. Not to mention the thing really halls ass (especially if I push the sport mode button). I was also thinking about the Tundra, but I actually don't tow anything and couldn't just justify the extra mpg with a 35 mile round trip commute 5 days a week.

Good luck with whatever you go with! That 1794 edition is pretty sweet.

6. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    Either one of the Fords,Platinum or Lariat are very nice upper trim level trucks, you can't do wrong with either choice.

T

7. knowwhatimean

knowwhatimean Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +980 / 0
    I own a small auto repair shop here in Wisconsin. What I will say is that the a Toyota of any kind is built waaaaaaay better than any domestic vehicle! 9/10 repairs on a Toyota are just just normal maintenance items like brakes, tires, fluid changes, and timing belts. Lets just say my shop doesn't stay open with business from Toyota's and Honda's! LOL.

The aluminum bodies on the Fords haven't really been out long enough to see how they will hold up to the salt from the roads here in Wisconsin so its hard to say if they will be ok after like 10 years. Aluminium doesn't rust but it does corrode and turn to dust which worries me because its already a weaker metal than steel. I see small heat shields on cars that are made from aluminum just fall off after getting corroded so bad that they just fall apart. Time will tell I guess.

The one thing I do know is that Toyota owners love their trucks. Seems like they never sell them. I have a dozen Tundras with +200k on them that come through my shop and run and drive like champs.

Ford hasn't exactly had a great track record with engines. The 5.4L is basically disposable after 100k because its so expensive to fix if anything major goes wrong with it. The EcoBoost engines are have oil consumption issues and a higher than normal engine failure rate. Toyota's cost a little more upfront but they hold their value way better than the Fords do(or any domestic truck for that matter).

I'm a GMC guy but I lease my truck so it's always under warranty so I don't care if it breaks cause I'm not paying to fix it! LOL

That's my $0.02! :D

Guy

8. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Thanks for hour comments., I appreciate applied knowledge...and what you say is the same that I hear.
    Very dependable.
    Mechanic friends and brother & cousin (both are mechanics) say the same....they don't know a lot about Toyotas bcuz they don't ever work on them except for consummable items and parts. (Oil, filters, belts, brakes, tires, exhaust etc)

I have to disagree on thd 5.4 triton...have had 3 of them and they are tanks, in my experience.
    Front end issues are another thing tho and trannies seem to be fickle on Fords.

A long time buddy who always drove multiple 4runners back in the day, until he married a girl who's uncle owns a Chrysler dealership, so he is forced to drive a Jeep now, says Buy the Tundra, you'll never go back to Fords.

You are another example I know of who's stock in trade is auto repair and yet lease.
    Seems to be common in the mechanics/technicians industry nowadays

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  9. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4

But if we follow our loosely-based plan of moving into and living @TTR, and writing a book about the experience of living at Temptation, that gets turned into a screenplay and movie, then rust won't be issue and I will buy a runabout pickup in Cancun

10. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    The 1794 is out....no price incentive (deal)
    And as Marilyn keeps reminding me, that interior although gorgeous, will be a bitch and a half to care for and I have cursed my King Ranch(s) many times over the years.
    Looks like a deal in principle on a demo (1200kms) 17 Lariat. Excellent price
    Apparently one of the workers at the dewlership really wants my Kinger that I am trading in.
    Salesman is throwing in weathertechs all around, and free Sirius for 3 yrs.
    I already have a lifetime subscription but we will move it to Marilyns Land Rover.

I will miss having a sunroof (love my moonroofs) but I think I can live without it.

My final condition is getting the salesguy to actually commit to a premier referral to Temptation ( he sure is intrigued about the resort) and I can squeeeze an extra $250.

Find out tomorrow...bcuz for some reason the deal only lasts till tomorrow (sales quota? Ides of March? I don't know?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice