Troublesome Event

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am posting this here as I received updated news a few moments ago from US Embassy staff that similar incidents have occurred in the Cancun Hotel Zone regarding fake policemen. Does this also need to be crossposted on the vacationing in Cancun section?

Although, as a rule the Mayan Riviera is a safe place to vacation, there was an unfortunate event that happened last weekend in Playa Del Carmen.

3 persons who were staying in a villa in Puerto Morelos took a day trip to Playa and as there were returning from the beach there, they were approached and stopped by 2 men in police t-shirts. They were told that someone had reported them as having been smoking pot on the beach. They had not been. After a lengthy conversation, the "policemen" told them that they were going to take one of them to be drug tested and if he tested positive for pot, he would be arrested. The "police" car had no markings and at that point they told the "policemen" that they would have to kill them before they got in that car. At that point the "policemen" left. The family immediately returned to their villa, packed and left on the next flight home.

During the initial discussion, they had revealed exactly where they were staying here and their address back in the states.

Be cautious.

1st - Policemen will always be in full uniform with badges, not t-shirts

2nd - never reveal the exact location of where you are staying or are from.

3rd - If you are approached in a similar manner, immediately head toward other people or stores and request they call the police.

I just thought that this needed to be reported. It has been reported to the American Embassy and they have notified the proper authorities. This is not a rumor, but a direct report made by the parties involved.
    Reply to this post

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, thank you for posting.

I wonder when(if ever) Mexican corruption will end... :(

I was thinking about what you wrote regarding "Police are always fully uniformed".

The ones who are patrolling our park(between Bonampak and Av Tulum) have like "tennis t-shirts". Ive never seen a fully uniformed cop here in our neighborhood.

I sure hope they are real cops, since they carry HUGE weapons....

Thanks again for posting.

3. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I for one would like to know more about what rawkus pointed out. It seems I have seen police or transitos all over Cancun, in the tennis-type (short sleeved w/ collar) shirts as well. The "badge" is a stencil. I also wonder if the "policemen" in the original post, were carrying weapons. Anyway, kudos to those three who stood their ground.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots of agencies here issue polo shirts to officers. But no matter what, when you are dealing with an authority you ALWAYS have the right to ask to see their ID.

I am very hesitant when I hear stories like this one. I have no doubt that something bad happened. But I've noticed that tourists have a tendency to exaggerate some aspects of their reports (maybe because they don't know what is normal here) and so I always find myself wondering which parts got a little embellished and which parts are exactly as I would have seen them. I do not mean to diminish the danger, just to point out that freaked out tourists are somewhat compromised witnesses.

I recently heard tell that the Mala Salvatrucha are operating in Playa del Carmen right now. And that they are doing lots of express kidnappings there. The report went on to say that they've stayed out of Cancun because we've got the Zetas up here and all the Feds here. I frankly don't know what to believe, obviously some bad sh*t is happening around here, but what is true and what's false? I have no idea.

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, RG. Without downplaying the seriousness of the reported story, I have heard many many stories that once investigated were not what they seemed. "Perception is reality," but individual perception creates only individual reality. "Let's all be careful out there."

6. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The incident I reported on came directly fom the affected people and the Embassy sent the letter confirming similar incidents in Cancun. As for the t-shirts, I guess I assumed all police did wear their uniforms as they do here in Puerto Morelos. Nice to know that there may be exceptions.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are lots of exception since there are lots of different police forces. That leads a lot of people to a lot of confusion. Both the good guys and the bad guys get confused sometimes.

8. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is additional information from one of the other PM Destination Experts who knows the people involved.

"Incident occurred 10pm Friday night, near Coco Maya Club in front of the condos there on the beach.

OK Have just spoken to the Chief of Police here and he advises if you have any doubts that you are talking to real Police, use your cell and call 066 straight away. If no cell just start screaming and don't stop.

How to tell the real Police?

The Municipal Police wear Dark blue uniforms MON/WED/FRI. White uniform shirt or jacket on TUE/THU and polo shirts at the weekend. Each of these uniforms has the 7 point silver star badge (in Spanish 'escudo') on the front left, in the middle of the star is engraved DGPPTyB (Direccion General Policia Preventivo, Transito and Bomberos)

and sleeve patches (in Spanish 'sector') that should say either Turistica, Policia or Transito. Only the special Tourist Police have their names on the right side as they buy their own uniforms. All Police have a plastic ID card that they keep in their wallet but they are NOT obliged to show you that, the correct uniform is sufficient."
    Reply to this post

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice