Trip Review Jul 30 - Aug 4 2021, Overall Good Trip, But We Won't Be Back

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Cheers2US, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Cheers2US

Cheers2US Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +617 / 2
    This was maybe our 9th or 10th trip or so to TTR. While we had a good time *overall*, sadly, this will be our last trip; we will not return.

We had a good trip in the sense of of normal trip things: food was great, party atmosphere was amazing, pool was a blast, theme nights were awesome, beach was wonderful (a small amount of seaweed, but the waters were mostly clear), waiters, bartenders, drink servers, housekeeping, groundskeeping, chefs, hosts/hostesses were all spectacular. The playmakers were fun and sexy.

So what went wrong? We went on a Premier referral, meaning someone who is a Premier member upgraded our trip so we could get the Premier benefits. All we had to do was sit through a membership presentation (they don't like it when you call it a "timeshare") The meeting started out OK, but went downhill quickly. One of the salesmen called me a liar then proceeded to insult, threaten and berate us while we sat there, flabbergasted. The details are long and ugly and I don't know if anyone wants to read all that.(If anyone is interested, PM me) But it did happen to us and as loyal, repeat-visitors we were extremely insulted. As a result, we will not visit again. I will not spend another dollar at a place where I was formally insulted and berated by staff. I am filing a formal complaint with Original Resorts. I don't expect anything to happen really, but I at least want them to know how we were treated and why we won't return.

I am not discouraging anyone here from going. Temptation is still a fun, flirty, stimulating place to be. You can party all night or just rest and relax. If not for the rude salesman, we would have had a great experience. If you are a first-timer, or recent guest, you should still have a fun time. You get a great bang for your buck.

If you are a repeat visitor, especially from before the Reno, and you liked it before, you *might not* like it now. We've been there twice this year already and it was mostly Americans.... many of them indifferent, asocial, unfriendly. You pass them in the hallway and say "good morning" and they just glare at you, or ignore you - that kind of thing. Many of them are on their phones constantly, often livestreaming. This might change as more Canadians and Europeans enter the mix. Also if you are not Premier, you'll feel the squeeze as fewer and fewer things are available. On glow night at the pool (Saturdays) if you do not purchase bottle service, you cannot sit anywhere near the action. We ended up going all the way around the pool and sitting at seats across the action.

We spoke with several other guests who were Premier. Some liked it, others didn't. One couple had been there for 3 or 4 days and still could not get air-conditioning for their room. They were told there were no new rooms available to switch them to. I knew this was a lie because at my membership presentation, they offered to upgrade our room then and there if we joined. I saw this couple 2 days later and they finally got a room with air-conditioning, the day before they left. There was another couple who had been members since the early beginning of the resort. They said they were not happy with the "riff-raff" that come in now. (those were their words)

As far as safety issues, we were extra-cautious. Partly because of the experience posted by @paulmc987 but also we felt threatened by the sales guy. We put valuables in the hotel safe, but we kept our most important valuables (passports, money) with us the entire time: the beach, the pool, Bash, dinner, etc... We had a locking travel bag (made by Vaultz) that lets you lock stuff up in a small bag and tether it to your beach or pool chair with a combination lock.

As I mentioned in another thread, the COVID19 testing at the resort is no longer free (unless you booked before May 6) We didn't know this and were surprised when they asked us for $20USD each. They do not take cash nor ApplePay so you must have your actual credit card with you at the test (along with a face mask) To schedule the test, you just go to the office and scan the QR code that is posted outside; no need to speak with anyone. The office is next to the Premier office, right by the coffee area. (They say it's $20USD but it worked out to $25 USD according to our CC statement) The test is a quick and easy nasal swab. From what I've heard, Canadians and Europeans might have to get a different, more expensive test. (Sorry guys!)

Mexico does not require any COVID testing to enter the country, nor do you have to quarantine. The airline will probably hand out the immigration forms to fill out but if you want, here's the online version: Mexico Tourist Card
    or Instituto Nacional de Migración - Forma Migratoria Múltiple - we filled this out online and printed it out and it worked fine. It is one per person. There is another form that is one per family Datos de identificación

Arriving to Cancun airport had long lines at immigration; it took us about 90 minutes to clear immigration and collect our bags. Leaving Cancun airport also had long lines, so please give yourself 2-3 hours to check in. You will need the stubs from the immigration forms (when you arrived), your COVID19 results and a health survey, which you can access here: Vuela Seguro Hopefully all these links work!

We actually started our vacation at Desire Riviera Maya. We spent 4 days there before heading to TTR. We would have spent the whole week or so in DRM but all their weekends in July were sold out, so we had to do a split. Desire was terrific and I can't wait to go there again. Desire is more expensive than TTR, sure, but it is worth it. If anyone is interested, they offered us a membership package of 40 discounted nights (not free nights!) for $10,000 USD This included their FlyBack program, where they say they will reimburse you $1,000 each year you fly. I'm not sure how this all works, but their point was the program pays for itself if you use the FlyBack. We declined politely.

Anyway, here are some photos:

View from top of Temptation tower [​IMG]

Beach at Temptation (there was some seaweed that washed up but the waters were clear for the most part) [​IMG]

Sea Flirt breakfast menu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got the chicken crepes at Sea Flirt - they were amazing!
    [​IMG]

OK so why is there only one bottle of soap in the ladies' room at Bash when there are 8 sinks?
    [​IMG]

2. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    Thanks for the trip report. Pushy sales people, not good. When you went to the presentation, did you have any thought of buying in, or was it strictly to cover the obligation for the referral? I've never been to the presentation, nor will I, just wondered your thoughts going in.

3. MCP_&_HeavyD

MCP_&_HeavyD Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +330 / 1
    So curious, the membership was just a total of 40 nights or more but 40 were discounted for a total of $10k and what was the room category? I ask because we bought ours in April 2019 got 750 nights at Lush room category for $30K. We went 5x last year and during COVID the Master Suite from what they told us was $15K so half what we paid. They tried up selling us for super cheap but we are not fans of the MS or the extra money you have to pay per night. Thanks!

4. SharonTerry

SharonTerry Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0
    We've been to a few presentations at both TTR and Desire and they start out so happy and friendly to try to sell you the membership. Then as soon as you decline they turn in to angry, bitter sales people... but I guess that's sales.

Great trip report! We started going to Desire when TTR shut down for the reno. Been back to TTR twice since, but definitely not our first choice, been back to Desire a few times.. hoping for November, depending on Canadian rules for returning from international travel at that time.

5. MeanwhileinCanada

MeanwhileinCanada Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    40 discounted nights for $10K? That's awful, barring some crazy discount.

Sorry to hear the Premier sales team turned you off TTR. If this is something you feel strongly about I'd email Premier. Posting in the forum is great for guests, but Original can't improve without letting them know how bad of an experience it was. We've done this in the past with a major front desk issue at TTR and it's since been resolved. I hate being the negative person, but we pay a fair bit just to go (+ membership for us!) and they're usually receptive to fair feedback.

That being said, we love-love DRM. Partly because we went there first, but it's also a smaller resort so we've become much closer to staff and guests.

6. TigerTown

TigerTown Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0
    I assume based on context that the 40 discounted nights for $10k was at Desire, not TTR.

7. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    MCP, did you get the master suite for no cost? Or you still paid the AI fee? Not sure how 30 days or less saves someone 15k.

8. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    Great report.
    Sorry for your issue, makes no sense.
    That salesperson will not last long.
    I would have probably taken him out to the balcony and had him fly onto the beach or concrete below !
    We also love RM and Pearl too.
    25th trip to TTR at Halloween but we are about done...sad.
    But will use TTR when visiting Desires as a holding spit/split as Desires weekends are sold out the rest of the year.
    We visit Pearl in Sept and RM in Dec.
    Also TTR next July for good friend’s bday week.
    The 2 night min really screws things up as people book only Fri&Sat which screws things up for us whom like to stay longer.

9. Cheers2US

Ratings:
    +617 / 2
    We did not plan to buy in at all. We already have a Florida timeshare that we hate and hardly use. But to be honest, their offers did look good on paper. They do the fancy math and make it all seem like a no-brainer. I learned from our previous timeshare not to trust what they say.

This was for Desire, sorry if it wasn't clear. They did not mention room types so I'm assuming it's the basic rooms.

Yes, this was for Desire, sorry if it wasn't clear.

10. Cheers2US

Ratings:
    +617 / 2
    Thanks guys, but physical harm is not our style! o_O

I envy you guys that you can visit so often! I just need to win the lottery. We miss Desire already but our bank account doesn't!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice