Trip Review Jan 15-20 (long)

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by Martinagirl, Jan 23, 2014.

1. sunbound

sunbound Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i gotta get to the TTR man LOL

2. Naughty Newfies

Naughty Newfies Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +418 / 1
    We considered booking and are very happy we stayed with TTR instead, even more so since reading this report. Know it takes a while to change over but don't want to waste a vacation doing it.
    I don't see what all of the hype is about the topless issue. Every resort we have ever visited has had topless optional, even one we took the children to. They didn't even blink an eye about it, why are some adults so freaked out by it?

Christina

3. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2

Cause it,s Naughty, you should know that ;)

4. BobnKim-WI

BobnKim-WI Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At TTR boobs are a staple. You can flaunt them, feel them, shake them, paint them, decorate them, kiss them, put aiwc on them, lick them clean and not be afraid to look at them or compliment them. All within reason of course.

5. Liv & Ren

Liv & Ren Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    baby, it's cold outside

I think the main point in this trip report is that the pool is cold! My calendar still says:announce: it's January. Only kids and Canadians will brave the water in temps like this. I wouldn't go topless either...it's sweatshirt weather! After freezing in Cozumel in Jan 2010, we decided no more January trips to Mexico. GOV will thaw out soon, I'm sure.

6. Martinagirl

Martinagirl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Well the pool at TTR was packed every day and 95% of the women were topless all day, and the weather was the same there.

7. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    TTR pool is heated

8. Martinagirl

Martinagirl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    They told us it wasn't just this last strip. Someone asked them to turn it up and they laughed and said it wasn't heated so it wasn't possible.

9. Accutemp

Accutemp Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Oh the pools are heated .......in ways they shouldn't be OR maybe people have very large bladders that they can consume drinks non stop for 4 hrs and they never have to get out of the pool to pee !!! Lol

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks for the report. Good or bad, all is welcome here. It's genuine reports like this one that make cancuncare credible and help people make their vacation choices.

That said, I can't help but think your expectations about the atmosphere were too high this early on. Barely 2 to 3 weeks after full inception of a completely new concept I don't think one should expect the same level of craziness you might find at TTR that has taken twenty years to refine it's vibe. TTR is still not 100% what most people want, there is plenty of room for improvement still there. After twenty years!

I do think the regular issues need to be fixed - room problems, food etc. But TTR is not without similar complaints too. The hotel issues you described are not just related to a concept change and need to be addressed, just like any other hotel. But atmosphere really can not take a whole 180 degree change in less than a month after starting.

Given the currently low prices, the 100% occupancy, the fact that many of the guests may have booked months ago under the old concept, the cold weather for 2014 so far, new activities staff and program, change requests that have been heard and recognised but take time to be approved and implemented (like bar closing times) none of us should really expect it to flip to crazy overnight.

Those of you who are planning on visiting GOV at the moment who are looking for a TTR type vacation, should be booking at TTR! GOV will take time.

I have always tried very hard (many, many times since we started talking about GOV in October?) to say that GOV does not want to be another TTR - that cant even be possible can it? I know GOV dont want their guests to think that either. It will take time to find their comfort point.

I'm honestly not trying to criticise your experience or report Martinagirl but I have to say something about the following comment:

During January 2014 Cancun has experienced unusually bad weather. It has been colder and rained more than I ever remember in 10 years. Several days have been complete washouts, most days the temperature has barely risen above 22C. That isn't conducive to pool participation or being topless, anywhere.

I have passed by the pool at TTR several times this year and each time it was hardly used. Granted this is before and after boobs cruises so either around 10am or 5pm but their pool is just as cold as any other. I have also never seen 95% topless at TTR not even when the sun is shining and the pool like bathwater - certainly not in January when it's raining and 18C.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice