Trip Report - May be of interest to those making plans...

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ventted, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ventted

ventted Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll try to make this somewhat short, but trust me, I could go on and on...

The purpose of this post is to expose those who both know Mexico, and enjoy traveling to new places to some things we found on our recent trip to Cancun. Our trip dates were 12/11-12/19.

First off, unless you plan on going to the most bland of all restaurants, don't bother with the Entertainment Plus Card. Sure, Brant does a great job at customer service - he did everytyhing that he said he would, but truly - his options are limited to restaurants that just didn't cut it compared to other (less expensive and much better) options.

Here's our take on Cancun:

1. Touristy beyond anything we've seen in Mexico to-date. We've been to Ixtapa, La Paz, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, San Felipe, and Mexico City. We KNOW Mexico and speak the language. Everything in Cancun is 'Americanized' - it's perfect for those that don't want to get off the beaten path.

2. Very few restaurants achieve anything beyond mediocrity - either in their service or their menu. When the busiest restaurants on the strip are Outback Steakhouse and Carlos and Charlies, you know there's a problem...

3. Costs in Cancun are either more expensive (on the whole) or at least parity, with costs for comparable items in the States.

4. Clubs in Cancun are fantastic - but going to them every night is like throwing money into a hole. They are expensive beyond their worth. Sure, they are overly done, and they are fully themed and 'developed', but... they lack good service, decent drinks, and anything resembling the type of experience your $30-50 buys you.

Ok... so it sounds like we're a penny pinching bunch... Nope. However, we do understand the value aspect of traveling in Mexico - and Cancun quite simply doesn't offer it.

Here's some good things:

1. La Parilla is one of a dozen excellent restaurants in Cancun - DOWNTOWN Cancun. I wonder how many visitors actually make it downtonw...? I mean, other than to go to Wal-Mart to pick up some Ketsup.

2. Traveling in Cancun via Bus is the perfect way... it gets no better and safer. Do it.

3. Chitzen Itza. Just go. If you plan your trip accordingly, I'd highly recommend staying at the Mayaland Hotel located in the State Park for at least one night.

4. We stayed at the J. W. Marriott - great hotel. Manuel at the Concierge desk is a pro... we truly enjoyed out time at this hotel.

Finally, I'd advise any one that knows and likes Mexico to avoid Cancun. It's not Mexico. If you simply want the beach and the killer water, it's perfect. Planning a trip to enjoy Mexico however, and the people, the food, the culture, the art, etc...?

It can't be done in Cancun. Next!

Regardless, our pics are here:
    http://public.fotki.com/VenTTed/homelife/trips/cancun_12-04/

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Trip Report - May be of interest to those making plans..

Thanks for your report...and I loved your pictures.

But I do have to respectfully disagree with you about something...I think it is possible to go to Cancun and enjoy the people, food, culture, and art.

But you can't do it in Hotel zone. You have to get out of there and spend some time downtown...that's what I do.

I would agree that there are many other places where you will experience more of a real Mexico than in Cancun but to say you can't do it in Cancun isn't accurate in my opinion.

Just a difference of opinion that's all.....

Thanks again for your report!

Karan

3. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Karen as well.
    If you want to see only the obvious Cancun ie the 'Americanized' tourist Cancun then that's what you shall see. But there are other parts to visit and it's just a question of doing a little homework first.
    Also Cancun was actually made for tourists in the very beginning so of course it will be geared towards that. If visitors check out the history of the place they are visiting beforehand they will see that it is never going to be the quaint (sp!) Mexican town that other parts of the country hold.
    Anyway, it's always helpful to others planning to visit to hear differences of opinions.
    :)

4. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ”1. Touristy beyond anything we've seen in Mexico to-date. We've been to Ixtapa, La Paz, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, San Felipe, and Mexico City. We KNOW Mexico and speak the language. Everything in Cancun is 'Americanized' - it's perfect for those that don't want to get off the beaten path.”

As in any tourist place it all depends on you, it is like going to Turkey and stay at the Ritz visit and eat at Taxsim Square and think that is Istambul or go to NY, stay at Manhattan and make a review of the 5th Av. Or in SF stay at China Town and then think that SF s to Chinese.

”2.- Very few restaurants achieve anything beyond mediocrity - either in their service or their menu. When the busiest restaurants on the strip are Outback Steakhouse and Carlos and Charlies, you know there's a problem...”

Maybe but not with the options, the problem is with the preferences of the people that visit (and I still do not see a real problem) If you are into very good restaurants, different flavors and nationalities with a reasonable price I can make a list of more than 60 in Cancun. It is up to each one to do a little research and get our of the Hotel Zone.

”3. Costs in Cancun are either more expensive (on the whole) or at least parity, with costs for comparable items in the States. “

I have to disagree if you come from NY or SF you will find thing equal or chepar (food, clubs, scuba diving, taxis or parking lots than in USA)

”4. Clubs in Cancun are fantastic - but going to them every night is like throwing money into a hole. They are expensive beyond their worth. Sure, they are overly done, and they are fully themed and 'developed', but... they lack good service, decent drinks, and anything resembling the type of experience your $30-50 buys you”

Disagree with a lot of respect, it all depends what are you looking for and what do you pay for, if instead of getting an AI Cover at Daddy u just pay the regular cover and ask for a bottle you will spend less than 40 per person, get a table and a great service.

”Finally, I'd advise any one that knows and likes Mexico to avoid Cancun. It's not Mexico. If you simply want the beach and the killer water, it's perfect. Planning a trip to enjoy Mexico however, and the people, the food, the culture, the art, etc...? “

It is funny, we have live in Cancun for the past 6 years (we are Mexicans born in Mexico, City and live for a couple of years in Acapulco, a lot of years in Monterrey, Mexico and then move to Cancun) and for us and our children this is Mexico, real Mexico with schools, restaurants, history (many more than in other places of the Country) a little lack on cultural development like museums or theaters but have never feel like in US.

5. Jeff and Bob in Haverhill

Jeff and Bob in Haverhill Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've been to Cancun for 3 years running now. None of us knows Spanish other than a few words/phrases. We've never had a language barrior. Did have a few funny exchanges with some shopkeepers with both sides trying to get our point across, but nothing major. Don't worry about not knowing Spanish - in Cancun there are many residents that speak English to varing degrees.

Just go and have a GREAT time!!!

6. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    another OLD thread, this is from 2004............ :lol: :oops:

7. Jeff and Bob in Haverhill

Jeff and Bob in Haverhill Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True, but the info is still valid I think.

And by the way - What ARE you doing with that lovely young lady??? LOL!!

8. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmmm.... yes perhaps notify the Authori-tays ??

[​IMG]

:lol: :p

9. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    ohhh just having a little fun before we headed up to the hotel room :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice