Trip Report - January 25-30, 2019

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Reviews' started by rightsaidfred, Feb 1, 2019.

1. rightsaidfred

rightsaidfred Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Hi all!

This is a trip report for our trip in late January 2019.

This was our second trip to TTR, all in all, we had a blast.

It was cool and rainy when we arrived on Friday around 6:30 pm or so, check in was much quicker than our first visit and we were not bothered by the sales staff. We quickly checked into our Bash Tower room and went to the lobby bar for a drink or three...

On to dinner at Romanza around 8:30. I believe that Romanza is the best restaurant in the complex and I highly recommend the Beef Carpacio. The White (mixed seafood) Risotto was OK, as it contained cheese, which should never be in a seafood (or any other) risotto. After dinner, it was on to White Night where maybe half of the guests participated with the theme (White night is probably the easiest theme of the week, especially for a guy.

Saturday was cold and rainy most of the day though it cleared late afternoon so after breakfast at the buffet (@Rain?), we worked out in the gym (which is relatively well appointed for a hotel gym) and then wandered the facility while dodging raindrops. Spent the afternoon cocktailing, (poorly) singing Karaoke and dancing at Scores (sports Bar). Meeting people later in the large hot-tub on the upper deck (which was warmer than the pool at 90-92 degrees but by no means hot) was, as always the highlight of the trip. While we were planning to go to dinner then Glow Night, the Wifey had tee-many-martunis (FYI - the Chocolate Martinis are three shots of Vodka plus enough chocolate syrup and Kahlua for flavor - deadly) and cratered for the evening, so I ordered room service (which arrived quickly and adequately).

As an aside, in talking to staff, it is my understanding that the Hotel occupancy during this period was around 70%. We noticed that most of the restaurants, at the later times when we eat (8:30-9:00) were at best 50-70% full.

Sunday morning, the weather broke. After attending the Catholic Church across the street, we hit the Sexy Pool and enjoyed the first day of good weather. For those who are interested, the pool was "reasonably" warm. While on first dip it would appear cold, you would quickly warm up with a cocktail or two. I brought a thermometer and the pool water temperature was high 70's to low 80's (77-82) depending on the time of day, generally warming in the afternoon. A tropical squall came through about 4:30pm, where the winds picked up in a matter of minutes to gusts of 25 mph and the temperature dropped 15 degrees in minutes. Towels and bikinis went flying as everyone scattered for coverage.

Dinner was at Sea Flirt (the seafood restaurant) where we ate the 5-6 small plate appetizers (split between us - we generally try not to overeat and we find that restaurants are more creative with the apps as opposed to main courses) for our meal. Due to the rain and bad weather, the Hotel moved the Disco Night into the Sports Bar (Scores) where they performed the show. It was a little tight but all had fun dancing and singing. For any who where at TTR during this period, you may remember my Wife and I as we were the ones passing out the flashing LED disco rings and flashing LED ice cubes all week (along with passing out tiny bikinis at the pool and Boobs Cruise to any who would wear!

Monday means the Boobs Cruise, so after an early breakfast (we found that the buffet breakfast in Rain? was surprisingly good). They had an excellent mix of items that were constantly replenished. Service in all the restaurants was polished and professional. This is a good opportunity to remind you to budget and bring money for gratuities (if you wish). I figure I spend $25-30+ per day usually by changing a 500 Peso bill at the front desk each morning. I find a little bit goes a long way in showing both appreciation and helping the staff remember your wants and needs...

Now for the Boobs Cruise, this was our second Boobs Cruise, and while well attended with 51 participants, it was significantly fewer than the 107! we had during July 2018 (supposedly this was the largest number ever). The weather was generally, clear, though swells where a little rough (2-3 ft) but since catamarans cut through these swells, the ride was comfortable, though just slightly chilly when we went under cloud-cover. Music played constantly, beer and cocktails flowed, everyone danced, sang, played crazy games and had a wonderful time. I passed out tiny bikinis and temporary tattoos to all who where interested. Lunch was at the same beach club in Isla Mujeres (it appears that this beach-club had slightly upgraded their facility since last July. Food at lunch was very good and the open bar was well received. After an hour and a half lunch, back on the Boat for the trip home (no photos Please!).

After the Boobs Cruise, all of the Boobers (tm), crashed the hot tub in a slightly more inebriated and undressed state than the rest of the patrons. the off to nap-time and dinner. We intended to eat again at Romanza, but they were closed Monday night so we ate at the steakhouse (Prime - the north side of the buffet restaurant). The restaurant was almost empty (we ate at 9). Wifey ate vegetarian, while I had a NY Strip, which was average at best. I find that Mexican steaks are not very tender (are they grass fed?) and that the cuts are slightly different than U.S. cuts (not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

After dinner, off to the party which was Superhero (as a CPA, my superpower is that I can divide by zero!) were we danced, cocktailed, and met wonderful people. Again, any of you there may remember us as we always had the LED rings and flashing drink cubes which we passed out to many.

Tuesday was our last full day, so once again another full day at the pool. I entered (forced to) the men's sexy leg contest and had a blast cheering on all of the participants. We went to the beach and used the paddle-boards and Hobie-Cats (included and complementary - be sure to tip). Tried to stay in the shade as much as possible as a sunburn can quickly ruin a vacation. Lunch at the Mexican Restaurant (Amore') and then more pool.

We had later reservations at She, though we decided to change these. We ran into a nice couple at the Concierge desk who was celebrating his Birthday and wanted She reservations, which I gladly gave him as a Bday present. FYI - almost everyone we asked about She commented either with "Meh", or "it could be better". Most seemed underwhelmed by the experience including th couple whom I gave the reservations. We tried to get into Sutra, but it was closed so we ended up a Romanza, which was packed. At 8:45, we had to wait 30 minute for a table. Dinner was very good and I highly recommend the Beef Carpaccio and the Osso Bucco. The Tuesday night theme was Angels and Devils. Since angels are no fun, we went with the devil theme...

Wednesday Morning, the day we are leaving. Breakfast then checkout at 11:00, then on to the pool to kill 3+ hours until our USA Transfers shuttle picks us up right on time at 3:15

Some additional notes: The Sky Bar is a wonderful yet poorly though through and underutilized concept. Food service is at odd hours and inconsistent. They open and close at inconsistent times and there is absolutely no buzz. It could be so much more.

All in all, a wonderful trip. We will be back soon.

2. rightsaidfred

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Also, the Foam party is scheduled for Saturdays though the 1/25/19 party was canceled due to weather. I talked to management and they stated that they use an outside service for this event and Saturday is the scheduled day. If there is bad weather, they can not reschedule due to prior commitments for others days by different hotels.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  4. aphrodisiac

aphrodisiac Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    Wonderful trip report. Thank you for sharing!

5. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Great trip report with good attention to the food detail. When we get back, I can never really remember what I ate or where, it's kind of blurry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. rightsaidfred

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Thank you

7. Matt and Lisa

Matt and Lisa Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,757 / 5
    Great update. Helps with knowing what to expect. Hopefully some better weather than what you experienced though!

8. somethingnew4us99

somethingnew4us99 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
  9. Bryan21178

Bryan21178 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 0
    Nice report, always was curious what it was like this time of year..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice