Trip Report Jan.2 - 7..It is long but we had FUN!!

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by 1st_Mate, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 1st_Mate

1st_Mate Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    We started our trip at Harrah’s in St. Louis because we had to be at the airport by 5 AM. I had a stomach virus happening plus we lost a few bucks before retiring. Bummer but it is hard to be bummed when you are going to TTR. Except for the fact that I brought a stomach virus with me to Cancun, everything on Day 1 went without a hitch. I booked the flight, room and transfers (we used Brant) all separately. It worked out great. We even got our room right when we got in which is a first. Our room was located on the 3rd floor overlooking the Paty O Lounge. I was worried but couldn’t wait to get out in the Mayan sun.

We headed out and began meeting people almost immediately. Loren from Denver struck up a conversation at the sexy pool bar. From there we went over to meet Jim and Joyce from Iowa. Tom ran into Diana at the bar (we met Diana/Robbie 2 years ago at BBG) and she came over to greet me. (I thought I saw her earlier but the Cubs hat threw me off…as a Cub fan, I knew she was not one but she said it was a mere fashion coordination). I wasn’t feeling 100% but continued to drink anyway. I had not slept in 36 hours because of feeling ill, got drunk and went to bed at 8 PM. I woke up several times. I heard the party at 2 AM, still going at 4 AM and then I heard the Scotsmen singing quite loudly at 6 AM.

Day 2 - Up early, showered and headed down for breakfast at the buffet. Wasn’t really hungry but knew I was doing the Booze Cruise so I better eat something. We ate a marginal breakfast and went to the lobby gift shop to buy a waterproof camera for the trip. We missed the boat because I failed to read about meeting in the lobby and not at the pier. We got to the pier at 9 AM and waited around until about 10. It was a lucky thing that we missed it because I ended up getting worse. I headed to the room and Tom hung out with Loren at the pool. About 2 hours in the room, I vomited and vomited and vomited. I felt so much better so I went out to the pool and had lunch with Tom. MISTAKE. A couple hours later…more puking. I felt better so I dressed for dinner and Paty O’s but abstained from food or drink. We met the boys from NYC and in particular, Kevin from Younkers, who bought us a drink. We also met Trudie and Kevin (?) from England who were leaving the next day. I am sure they were a hoot to hang out with.

Day 3 and the rest of the days all run together as I was feeling better - We met Sean and Lisa from Minneapolis in the chairs next to us. We all went over to the swim-up bar where all kinds of action takes place. We met Dwayne/Jennifer from New Brunswick & Rodney Dangerfield (aka Kevin) from Buffalo. We all had lunch in the buffet and did shots of tequila chased by pineapple juice. We got kind of loud and the waiter was right there egging it on…got to love the people who work at TTR. In the evening we met some fun people from England who like to have a good time.

The Night Shows - We saw a Sexy Dance Show one evening and it was very good. Some dude in the audience was taking pictures during the show. His infrared glowing on the girls and flashes going off. Classy. Another night, there was a band in the Paty 0 Lounge. We were not expecting much and they exceeded our expectations by a mile. Very good. We watched the Karaoke show one night which was mostly comical. Mr. Jon Bon Jovi lost to Ms. Axel Rose who took off her clothes for more votes…no way to compete with that. They were both very good.

The Day Activities - same as two years ago. I tied for 1st in the Musical Trivia contest with 4 people from Australia. I ended up losing because I am not fast with the trigger finger. I knew the answer. Tom played some water basketball and make quite a few shots. Dancing Sean was there to fill in the gaps between activities with his tuxedo thong. Despite the requests from the cast to limit pictures to those who are okay with it, there were way too many pictures and videos being taken.

The Sports Bar and Nice Shoes - I played Guitar Hero on the Wii in the sports bar before one of the shows. Nice Shoes is tucked back and away. Not too many people use it which is too bad. I love to dance and they have a huge video screen. A few of us hung out and danced in there. We had the place to ourselves and just when things were getting fun…boom the music stopped. It apparently closes at 1 AM.

The Food - Almost every morning we ate at BellaVista. We loved it. It is a nice atmosphere. We ate a couple of lunches there as well. Tom recommends the chicken wings. I liked the pepperoni pizza, I believe it was called Rustica. We missed our dinner reservation at BellaVista because we were invited to the Asian restaurant with another couple. Wow, that was good. I had the salmon and I highly recommend it. The spring rolls were tasty, too. The Italian restaurant was also top notch. I had cannelloni and for dessert…Tiramisu. I am not a big dessert person but this was so good! Tom had the Crème Brule but it did not have the caramelized stuff on top. He said it was still good. We ate at the Caribbean restaurant on a night when I was just starting to feel better. I wasn’t too hungry and I got a shrimp/scallop skewer type meal. It was very good, too. I highly recommend all of the specialty restaurants. The buffet restaurant was not very good at all. I did find the broasted chicken that they cut for you behind the grill to be good, though. I love the fresh fruit and hard rolls so I would never go hungry. It is just very monotonous. I also find it odd that they do not have guacamole. We never bought a bottle of wine but drank the house cabernet and found it to be quite good. It is better than the house red at the Paty O Lounge.

The Weather - the best in the past 3 years. Each day was gorgeous and hot enough to get into the cold pool. We spent quite a bit of time in the pool this year because it was so nice. That is always so much fun and a great way to meet people at the swim-up bar. We got a tip from Diana. When the sun is going down at the Sexy Pool, you can go over to the quiet pool to get another hour or so of sun. We did this several times and it was nice. The only way it could be better if there were real hot tubs out there.

Bizarre - The monks singing Led Zeppelin or the Police. Around the sexy pool, they play music and each day was a different play list. There was a whole play list of monks singing rock and roll music. No guacamole.

The Forum - I am not sure why I cannot recognize people from this forum but I cannot. People look different with sunglasses sans clothes. We wish we could have met some more from the forum. We always meet a bunch of people but no one ever even knows about the forum. Maybe next year. We met hot rockers & Titsy but I did not even know they were on here until today.

This is long but it is not because I did not have a good time. We had a great time. A much needed fun time with fun people. This time, five nights was not enough!

2. missnbluebay

missnbluebay Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    No Guacamole?????? I would ask for my money back. great report thanks. were you there two years ago?

3. Empyrean

Empyrean Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same issue...it was impossible for me to recognize anyone.

I forgot to mention that weather in my trip report which was very important! We had GREAT weather and that was after all the weather channels I looked at predicted rain from Thursday through SUnday and we didn't get one drop! Don't fret over the weather predictions you never know.

4. 1st_Mate

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Yes, we were there two years ago at the very same time. There were several people that we had met two years ago there again. Since I am in school, we have to go during break after Christmas. Only one more semester, though and we can go whenever.

They were wrong about the weather. I was worried because last year they predicted cold and rain which is exactly what happened. Then 5 days is too much, especially at a boring resort.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    What did I tell you :wink: all that worrying

Good to hear you enjoyed the trip, too bad you didnt meet many people from the forum they were there, but even on the busiest weeks people from cancuncare number no more than 10% of all the guests.

6. 1st_Mate

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    We handed out our business cards to friends that we made and on the back I wrote this web address. I told at least a dozen people about the website. Hopefully, they will check it out.

The weather could not have been any better. Even the evenings were warm. I never once felt a need for a jacket.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    That's cool, thanks for that. Word of mouth certainly does help.

The weather for January has, so far, been better than average.

8. 1st_Mate

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    No Guacamole

Love the guacamole. :wink:

9. missnbluebay

missnbluebay Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
  10. 1st_Mate

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    I miss the lake

I am originally a Michigander. Where are you guys at in the mitten? I grew up in a little resort town on Lake Michigan in the extreme southwest corner...close to Chi town.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice