Trip Report - February 10th to 24th

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by vrodgers, Feb 26, 2007.

1. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can sum up our trip this year in one word ... AMAZING!!!!

We arrived in Cancun at 9:30 am, rushed through immigration and luggage claim in less than 20 minutes then hopped in a van to arrive at our hotel by 10:30. We stayed at the Solymar for the 5th year in a row, booking this year with one of the owners, and it was perfect. No need to stand in line at the front desk - just went straight to their room and got the key to our room. We had a million dollar view of the beach than looked all the way to Club Med. Fully-stocked kitchenette, including two fridges -- one for the food and one for the beer -- all the dishes and utensils we would need, and a large bottle with pump for water.

Jumped on a bus to have our customary first meal at Casa Tequila, which did not disappoint. Then took second bus to Commercial Mexicana to stock up on groceries, mix and beer then back to the hotel in time to watch our first sunset over the lagoon. We only had to buy groceries three times this trip - we are getting better at planning ahead I guess. Lots of the coconut yogurt each time - it is delicious!

Each morning we were had no problem getting a palapa and two lounge chairs on the beach, and spent almost every day of our two weeks doing nothing but hanging out on the beach drinking lots of beer and margaritas.

The weather was perfect, with the exception of one day of cloud and wind plus one morning of a horrible rain storm (Feb 12th). I got caught in it as I was in the middle of my morning walk and was 1/2 mile away when it struck. I was drenched by the time I ran back!

We had two day trips to Isla Mujeres on the Wednesdays (can you think of a better place to celebrate Valentine's Day?!?), spending the early part of the day at Playa Sol relaxing (and drinking!), then rented a golf cart or scooter to zip around the island. Supper each time was at Miramar -- their coconut shrimp is to die for! Second time we took the 5:00 ferry back and saw the most amazing sunset over the water.

Lots of shopping at Plaza Kuklucan and Plaza Carracol - silver, t-shirts, glassware, etc. After eight years to Mexico I finally broke down and bought a blanket to bring home -- the cats love it to sleep on.

We used our 2x1 card at My Place, Casa Maquey, Loritta Joe's and Seahorse (great pizza!) restaurants - and each meal did not disappoint. We also had one supper out at Outback - was craving the bloomin' onion! That meal was on the night to celebrate the day we met 21 years ago. When we returned to our room, the owners (Michelle & Peter) had snuck in to spread rose petals all over the bed. A wonderful touch! Our best downtown meal was at The Fisherman - fresh fish grilled to perfection. There were also a few resident cats to feed, and judging by their bellies they are quite well fed!

Dan did some snorkeling at saw several baracudas. The reef by Club Med has not yet recovered from Wilma, but he was still able to see lots of fish. On a more positive outlook, the dredged beach provided the best shells to collect each morning. I also found a shark's tooth one morning, and plan to make a necklace out of it.

Those nights we did manage to stay awake after midnight we spent walking around the commerical zone, checking out the band at the Hard Rock Cafe a few times (quite good at covering Metallica and G&R) or just enjoying the sights and sounds of Cancun nightlife.

It was another wonderful vacation in Cancun, and already counting the 49 1/2 weeks until we are back next year! I'll post pictures when I have time this week to sort through to find the best ones to share.

2. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great report, Val!

Looking forward to seeing your pics
    :D

3. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like an amazing trip! I like the Solymar as well, though that's the only HZ hotel I have experience with. Am also looking forward to pictures.

4. cancundude

cancundude Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds fantastic, I can't wait to go !!!

How much did you pay per night for your hotel, did you get a bargain?

5. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can get great deals at the Solymar through several sites on the internet. Not just the travel sites like Orbitz... I found a good deal at vrbo.com (It stands for vacation rentals by owner.) It's also a great place to be for long-term stays. I had a friend there I think paid only like 400-500 a month for her first few months there! I have also seen deals on that site for the Carisa y Palma across from Slices.

6. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We got a great deal from the owners, who are fellow Canadians. They own three rooms to rent out; they also live on-site so are always available if there are problems. They even stayed at the Solymar through Wilma! Check 'em out at www.cancunresortcondos.com. We stayed in the Honeymoon Heaven room.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great report, thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you escaped the Canadian cold and had a wonderful trip. :D

8. MOTTSI

MOTTSI Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear you had a blast. You have been very helpful to me in preparing for the trip. We leave in 21 days. Can't wait to get to the Solymar.

I have booked our Airport transfer, Chichen Itza, and Cozumel trip with Brandt and have also purchased the 2x1 card. I need to book the Xel Ha, but waiting on my buddy's to say yes or no and when.

Thanks again Val and I am looking forward to your photos.

Sean

9. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sean,

A few more hints on the Solymar - if you want shade on the beach, you need to get up early to grab a palapa and loungers. I was usually up at 6 to watch the sunrise and never had a problem claiming. If you're late, most people are cool with "sharing" their shade. Pool side was slower this year compared to last year, so probably not a problem finding a spot. They have also now planted new palm trees in one area (beachfront) for your own hammock.

Discovered this year that the store in the complex beside Solymar (to the south) sells beer! Not as cheap as walmart, but obviously handy for those days you run out (seemed to happen to us a lot!!!)

For the 2x1 card, I recommend trying the pizza at Seahorse restaurant - Delicious - and they always have 2x1 beer in ice buckets! My Place also great to go for sunset supper, sit on outside deck, and try the pasta dishes. Oh, don't forget to take a beer for their collection of "beers of the world!"

10. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

:lol: We got two while we were there this last time. One serves as kind of a table runner on the top of our antique player piano...the other is in the living room for whoever wants a scratchy cover. :lol: They look cool though.

My next trip I am bringing a special suitcase...gonna try to bring back one of those oval bathroom sinks that are all handpainted....anyone have a clue to what they run? Karan? Janie? Have you ever priced them? I didn't, but I want one REAL bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice