Trip Report, Dirty Vibes - Tryst April 27 - May 2

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Matt and Lisa, May 27, 2021.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    Some trips they do more, some trips they do less. I found when we are in the Tower we use them more, because we end up with more room parties. So supplies are often required, which then leads to more friends and fun, which leads to needing larger group dinner reservations. When we were there for NYE, it was just Elyse and I. We had a shit garden room, so we really didn't ask or need anything for the 6 days.

2. Matt and Lisa

Matt and Lisa Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    The flight time is about 10 hours in the air. Depending on where we stop and length of layover it goes up from there. Generally we stop in LA or Seattle for 1:30 and it’s reasonable. The time change also gets us though. The flights usually leave Anchorage at midnight and we get to Cancun around 4p.

I think the lifestyle crowd definitely didn’t hurt. In general they tend to be an outgoing and welcoming type of person even to those that aren’t in the lifestyle. I think the big difference was all the extra things that they did for entertainment. The pool parties were always crazy every day, not just on Saturdays. The resort was full throughout the entire week so you had that weekend vibe the entire time. They always had their own DJ playing which makes a big difference. We loved going when there are a lot of repeaters as well and that is a great way to do it. Absolutely right when you say that a full resort makes Temptation so much better. I think the place isn’t nearly the same at 50% capacity. I think if you pick the right weeks with lots of fun people and when it’s generally full that you’ll have a great time. Issue is that people come and go throughout the week though and so you may get to hang out with some a day or two and then they leave or the resort may not be completely full all week. At the takeover, everyone is there the same days and it’s completely full.

For someone that’s not in the lifestyle they would have just as much fun. Assuming they like good music, sexy people everywhere, and to relax and have a good time. On any regular week there is going to be a lifestyle crowd there and if you’ve been to TTR a few times you know that it’s almost always a positive more than it is otherwise. Same thing applies at the takeover when the percentages are more 50/50 between LS and Non.

I believe the extra fee was $500 for the week if you book your own room. Send them a message through their website though to check. They do also respond through their FB if that’s easier.

3. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    Thanks for the info!!

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks for the detailed report.

I was there for the Friday night at Bash, and also at the October event for one night, so not a great deal of time. I haven't been at either event from start to finish, so take my comments for what they are worth, and I mean no offense by them.

People complain about TTR becoming more like a Vegas pool party. This seemed more like a Vegas Pool Party than Vegas has. It didn't seem like the TTR I know.

It did seem very cliquey to me, you perhaps didn't notice it because you fit the mold. Almost everyone was 'beautiful people', all in perfect shape, early forties and under, white, wealthy, LS and English speaking. There seemed very few people of colour, very few people 45+, very few with not so perfect bodies. Zero singles.

It just doesn't seem like the melting pot that TTR usually is. I am sure those who fit in had a great time though. My worry is this kind of event becomes more popular, are held more often and change the vibe more often, eventually becoming THE vibe. Don't get me wrong it's a vibe that a lot of people enjoy, but different nonetheless.

A couple of other comments.

Re occupancy, please don't think this is the only time the hotel is full. It's been 100% at weekends for several months straight and pretty much 100% for a few months forward. The days of 50% occupancy went out the window 9 months ago.

Re DJ's. Yes I get that they bring in their own. You liked them because they played the music you and that particular monoculture enjoy (99% EDM). If you go for the Mochafest takeover in October (99% Black) you'll find the DJ's play 99% music that suits that monoculture too - Rap / hip hop etc.

I do hate when people criticise the "resident DJ with his Spotify playlist" like there is only one of them. There are 6 DJ's who work at Temptation regularly, are they all bad? They are constrained by what management allows them to play to suit the much wider demographic. There are also guest DJ's regularly, Rob Nadigel (well renowned Canadian DJ) has been there since Jan. Tatiana (well renowned DJ from Bareclona) was there for 4 -6 weeks earlier in the year. I know there are two new DJ's (Canadian and US I believe) due to arrive in the near future - Rob helped recruit them.

Re The cruise they did. They used the same boat as we do, which means the same crew. If it felt like there was more space that was because they didn't fill to capacity, I doubt that was by choice. We had a Boobs Cruise the next day with the same staff and boat and I asked the crew how it was. They said not as wild as ours and the tips weren't very good (which surprised me).

I remember a couple of years ago DV held their cruise on the same day as ours, and we had lunch at the same time - about a dozen people asked to come back on our boat as theirs was "boring and tame". To be fair, that was the first one they did, so maybe they have learned a thing or two since then.

I also wonder how much did they charge per person for the cruise?

The event is perfect if you are from the US, reasonably wealthy, white, a couple, early forties or less, don't mind paying over the odds, are fit and attractive and LS.

If you're different to one or more of above, then the regular TTR is going to be much more your style.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  5. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    I think we check off about 4.24 of the 9 bullet points on that list.

I understand what you are saying. Whatever the Takeover was the week before we got there last year (takeover would have been near the end of Oct.) We talked to a few people who were there, and stayed a few days extra, and where there for our trip. They said they felt it really split up the atmosphere, and it seemed clique. They also said the Skybar vibe was so bad, that many of the people ended up coming down to Bash. I don't know if they were a different group, but I thought it was DV? Just my observation.

6. Matt and Lisa

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    I debated briefly if I should respond to this since it's all heresy or very limited time spent there to form these types of opinions, but I'll oblige.

Occupancy is full on weekends as I said on a regular basis, Thur- Sat. The point I was making is that it was sold out the entire week. Not so, on any other random week. Of course some weeks will be, but not always.

Do a lot of people actually complain about it being a Vegas type pool party, and if they do, what exactly do they mean by that? If they are referring to upbeat music and lots of people dancing and drinking at the pool then why are they at TTR? Maybe Breathless is more their speed? If they(you) are talking about some specific attitude/demeanor of someone that attends a Vegas Pool Party then I don't see that at all at Tryst. Maybe just seeing it with Rose colored glasses with all the fun I was having :). I do sometimes see the complaints about what TTR used to be back then, but times have changed, music has changed, what people find fun has changed. I've been to TTR enough to know that those same people that complain are the same ones with their ass planted in a seat all day and don't make the effort to get up and mingle.

It seemed very cliquey to you. Ok, in the evening you spent there? As I mentioned in my original post this was something we had heard and why we were reluctant to go. This was absolutely not the case and the exact opposite of what we experienced in the week we were there. Having the entire week to spend with the same group, you're able to meet lots of different people and make friends. We find that most times the people who say stuff like this are the ones that don't take it upon themselves to say hi and introduce themselves. Sometimes it's hard to do that, especially if you're injecting yourself into a group conversation. People that are in their comfort zone and with people they enjoy aren't likely to step away from their group just to pull someone in that seems off by themselves and shy. We don't have that issue and when we did this and are outgoing when we are at TTR(complete introverts at home). One time we were on a trip on a regular week and people we knew had that complaint about the group there and yet they just sat in the fun holes the entire week. I mean if you aren't going to try and mingle then why would anyone come approach you. Just my 2 cents there.

I must say that I chuckled a little when you insinuate that going to TTR around a bunch of very good looking people is a negative. That said, I disagree by the demographics that you're saying. While there certainly seemed to skew younger than normal, which is not surprising considering what they are offering, there was still a very good portion of the group that were 50+. We know this because we tend to gravitate toward this crowd because we find that we tend to prefer to socialize. I will also make the point though that the group that was 50+ were partiers. They were the type that were dancing all day and night and enjoying the week there. If that's not your thing then the takeover can still be fun, but so is any other week. Zero singles is somewhat correct. The takeover did not allow single males, only females. Is this a negative? There were maybe 10-15 single girls that we met that attended. The wealthy comment also was humorous. I can picture Steve now going around the resort with his pen and clipboard asking people if they want to do a survey and asking them their race, relationship status, income, primary language spoken and work history :)

Ok, DJ's. Yes I'm sure that the resident DJs are probably very talented when unrestricted, but as you say, they are by the resort. At the Takeover the DJs are free to do what they want and it makes a difference. EDM is definitely played often, but the mix of DJs also gives a mix of different styles. I think we can all say this is still better than the random 80s or country songs that seem to come on when everyone was up dancing and then clears the dance floor. That type of music is fine, but has it's time and place. People are attending this to dance and enjoy the atmosphere. Tatiana is a great DJ, but that was a single evening right? Why can't it be great every night? What about the other 364 days of the year?

Cruise. Ok let me start by saying that the Boobs Cruise is the GOLD standard for party boats. It's how most people compare any of these things and that should be saying a lot. To say it was tame or not as wild though is laughable. I mean if I did business with you as much as they do why would I tell you anything other than what you want to hear? Not to mention that if it was the BC on Friday then it was the same people from the takeover because everyone was there through Sunday, so not sure how it was that much different.

All this and it's only twice a year, for this group at least. If you feel that this is going to change the way the old TTR was (and I see complaints all the time that that vibe is long gone) then I don't know what to say to that, it's twice a year. If people find it more desirable, the majority rules right? If it's not what the majority wants then it will stay as it is. The money will always follow the market. Times aren't going to stay the same just because some people want to hold on to the way things used to be done. Let us just have our fun 2 weeks a year, if it becomes more then maybe that's what people want. If it's not for you then you have the other part of the year to go do your TTR. I for one just can't see anything wrong with partying with a bunch of hot people all day and night, getting to listen to great DJs do their thing, and have top notch entertainment brought in to enjoy. Rough life it is.

7. RonandChris

RonandChris Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +481 / 0
    Thanks for the report and glad you had a good time.

I have to agree with points made by Steve and with what Restling heard.

We were not part of tryst group. We felt it to be very clique for the most part, and very much a different feel away from normal vibe. Djs brought in were not very impressive. Small bits were good but most just blurred with the rest and I love Edm ...we left pretty early atleast 3 nights which we've rarely done in previous trips. Skybar once they started up was horrible and we left.
    The parties that ran till 4am every night with the same bass beat that took over the entire resort just added to making sure we are more aware when booking.

Maybe if we were part of group we would have thought differently. We still met a bunch of really cool people as we always do, and was better than lockdown.

8. Matt and Lisa

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    Yeah being there and not being able to party with 85% of the resort would be rough and I’m sure annoying which is why we decided to just book with them. I’m sure that we would feel the same if we were in that situation. Definitely better to pick another week if you aren’t booking with the group.

9. L&E

L&E Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 1
    Great review! Thanks for sharing.

This is an easy one to answer.. They make more money on the casual ballers who come in an spend stupid amounts of $$$ on bottle service, cabanas, day beds, hookahs, etc. than the fun, core demographic that makes TTR so great for the rest of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Certainly not "heresy", nor hearsay. I could respond more fully, but it's late now.

Like I say, it worked for you because you fitted the mold. I'm glad you had a good/great time. I bet if you returned for Mocha Fest and didn't fit, it wouldn't work quite so well for you. That's how other people feel when the mold doesn't fit them.

I've been to Bash 8 out of the last 10 Fridays and stayed at the hotel for maybe 40 days in the last year. I know how the usual crowd is. Tryst isn't the usual crowd. That's not necessarily a bad thing as a one off. But I wouldn't want the usual crowd to think it's like this every week.

No clipboard necessary to know the demographics, surprised you think I do.

No singles is cool if you're not single, not so much if you are. Few fat people or Black people or Hispanics is cool, if you're not - I guess with this crowd.

As for the Tryst cruise not being so wild as the BC. I speak to the same boat crew who serve the drinks and service/drive the boat, not the owners. They tell me what they experience, not what I want to hear, they gain no advantage from what they tell me and some I've known for 5 years. You may have had your own DJ's, but you didn't have any decent entertainers like Chinos, Sara and Omar. They are the ones that drive our party. The Friday cruise wasn't the same people, it was all the people who didn't go on Thursday and weren't part of Tryst. No one does two in two days.

I still wonder what they charged per person for that boat trip?

Imho, this kind of event belongs at a Desire takeover not a TTR one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice