Trip Report: Day after Dean 08/22 - 08/29 Oasis Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by svtcobra242, Aug 31, 2007.

1. svtcobra242

svtcobra242 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty long report pics included……

Day 1 (The departure to CUN) Wed 08/22
    Arrived at LAX, ready to leave to Cancun. Check in was fast, and soon we were on our way. Arrived in Cancun (New Terminal 3). Zoomed right past everything and our Private transfer courtesy of E-Plus was waiting for us outside. On the way to the Hotel, we did notice some Hotels and shops with boards on the windows. They must have been ready for Dean but they were not needed. Arrived at the hotel (Oasis Cancun) and check in was quick and proceeded to our rooms. First bad thing about the room was our sliding door to the balcony was very hard to open. Hotel info will be posted in the Hotel thread. Showered and went to the Steakhouse on the property and it was very good. We hit the beach at night and noticed it was very rocky and the waves were strong. We were told in Phase 1 area of the property, the beach had no rocks, but swimming might not be allowed due to the strength of the waves and currents (Red Flag). The security who informed us had a box full of baby sea turtles. They laid their eggs on the property and they preserved them until they hatched. That night, they were released back into the Ocean. It was awesome.
    Oh Yeah….The hotel was empty. We felt like we were the only ones there. :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 (Relaxing Day) Thu 08/23
    Woke up around 8:00am and went to the breakfast buffet (Again, the food was great). After I notice the Hotel started to remove all the boards placed on the windows due to Dean. They did a great job and had them removed in no time. After we hit the beach to relax and spend the day. The beach was a little mixed up as you can see below and the waves were still pretty strong, but it was still good by me. Red flags were posted, but they allowed us in a small section of were the life guards were on us. As the days went by the beach was much better. Spend the rest of the day in the pool relaxing and a couple of hours in the bar at night. We could not get too wild, since we traveled with the kids. They stayed at the room with Grandma. It rained that night and our room was flooded, but I did not worry about it. I was on vacation!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 (Chichen Itza/Ik Kil/Valladolid) Fri 08/24
    We went to eat breakfast around 6:30. Our private van was waiting for us outside the lobby at 7:00AM, ready to leave to Chichen Itza and Ik Kil. Our experience with the private tour was great. Our driver (Felix) was great, very courteous and helpful. He made us feel so comfortable. He made it clear. “This is your trip, you decide how long you want to stay at each place”. I thought this was so cool.
    We arrived at Chichen Itza, it was hot, but the day was nice. We toured the place and it was great, plenty of history to go around. After two hours we proceeded to Cenote Ik Kil.
    This place was very beautiful. In my personal opinion, this is a must do when going to Chichen Itza. We were hot and tired from all the walking in Chichen, so a cool dip in the cenote, felt just perfect. After the dip we ate and proceeded to Valladolid. A small town and has the classic Mexican pueblo look. We walked around and caught some rain there (About 5 minutes). We then proceeded back to the Hotel. TIP: the good thing about the private tour is that he drives and we sleep. The public tour does not take you to Ik Kil or Valladolid. Arrived back to our rooms, showered and ate at another of the AI restaurants. This night we ate at the Italian buffet. Again the food was great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4 (Relaxing Day) Sat 08/25
    Woke up around 9 and went to have breakfast. We hit the beach again and the day was very nice. The beach waves had mellowed down and the water was much better as you can see below. Spend all day at the beach and pool. At night we ate the Mexican restaurant Sarape. We took some (More like plenty) shots of tequila while listening to live music. We hit the sack around 10:30. By this day the hotel had a full crowd so we hit the bars. My daughters stayed in the room with Mom and Grandma. My brother and I got wasted by 12am when the bar closed. We had a great time and met people from all over the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5 (Xel-Ha) Sun 08/26
    It was another beautiful day in Cancun. Our private E-plus van was waiting for us outside at 8am. We were on our way to Xel-Ha. We had the same driver so we had a blast chatting on the way. It seemed the drive was just five minutes. We arrived at Xel-ha and the place was empty. For anyone wanting to know, Xel-ha had minor damage due to Dean. Just some boards on docks needed to be replaced. The Sea trek attraction was closed and the water overall in the park was about 95% clear. Some sections were still a bit blurry but nothing major. Spend most of the day snorkeling and walking the park. This place is Beautiful and I recommend it to anyone who has not visited. Towards the afternoon it started to pour rain, but what did we care, we were wet already. We just sat down and enjoyed the rain. Left the park around 6pm and headed back to Cancun. Arrived at the hotel, showered and went for Dinner. We ate at Dos Lunas. This was one of my favorites in the resort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 6 (Day Trip to Isla Mujeres) Mon 08/27
    Another Gorgeous day in Cancun. We got the bus and went to playa Tortugas. We had a free day trip courtesy of a Time share shark. By this day the beach was the way I remembered. Had some Coronas on the way and stopped by to see the sand shark. We continued with a snorkeling of the reef at isla and then took a walk on the Island. The food included in this tour was not the best, but who am I to complain, it was free right!
    Landed back in our room around 6pm. Had dinner and my bro was too scared to continue pounding beer. He really felt it from a couple of nights before. Hahahaha!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 7 (Relaxing Day and the day before we left) Tue 08/28
    Since this was the last full day before we left, we decided to spend it at the beach. This was the best day and as you can see the beaches were much better by now. After a couple of hours, we decided to hit Market 28 and la Europa for some booze to bring home. I bought four bottles of Tequila and caught the bus back to our hotel. Booze is heavy when you have to carry it in a backpack. At night, we grabbed a quick bite to eat and went to see the show at the resort. This night they had the Folklorico show. It was a good show, nothing compares to the show at Xcaret, but it was a nice show to watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 8 (Time to go home) Wed 08/29
    We woke up and had breakfast at our usual spot. Checked out and left our luggage at the resort. We caught the bus and headed to Plaza Isla spend a couple of hours there and went back to the hotel. Around 3pm our airport transfer driver from E-plus was waiting for us outside like usual. It was our friendly driver Felix. I told him to hold on while we turned in our bracelets at the lobby reception desk. We proceeded to the airport :cry: . Arrived at the airport and checked in. Here is where it ALMOST got ugly. I looked to pull out my video camera and there was nothing!!!!! I started to panic and I then started to backtrack. I ran to a phone and called Trina at E-plus, she called the driver and he said it was not in the van. I called the resort with two phones on my ear, E-plus on the left ear and Oasis on the right and Oasis said they had nothing. And at that time I then remembered. When I went into the hotel to turn in my bracelets, I placed it on the counter while they cut the bracelet off. I told Trina I would call her back and started to go at it with the Hotel. They insisted they had nothing. The person whom I spoke to said the lady who helped us was not in at the time.
    I started to gear up and used my Mexican hat :evil: . I told them that this would not end here, that I would do whatever I had to do to make them look bad. I even went above and beyond and called the Oasis a bunch of crooks. The guy told me to call him back in three minutes. I called back and guess what???? They had found my camera.
    I then called Trina back and she was awesome, she called the driver and sent him to the Oasis. The driver picked up the camera and returned it to me at the airport. The rest is too sad to write about. The last two pictures should say it all… :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, I would like to thank E-plus and Cancuncare for making my trip less stressful.
    Also if you are planning a trip soon, don’t be scared. The beaches are beautiful, the Hotels sustained no damage. Everything is up and normal.

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wonderful report!!! Happy to see you enjoyed yourself!

3. LadyLegs

LadyLegs Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    very nice trip report!!! the pix are great!!!

4. Carole

Carole I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Great trip report. Beautiful family. And what a great attitude you had about little things that happened. Glad you got your video camera back also.

5. Duece

Duece Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great Trip report

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great report!!

7. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everything about your trip was great but I cannot believe the people you spoke to at the resort were so not helpful about getting your camera back to you. I want to believe that they simply did not communicate to each other that a video camera was left at the front desk and the people you spoke to did not know about it.

212eric

8. svtcobra242

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    212eric said
    His attitude at first was like telling me "Sorry bud, no Camera, I gotta go now. I could tell by his tone of voice that he was not interested in helping me. I have been in other situations and they ask for all my info and tell me to hold while they check. This guy simply said, the lady that checked you out is not here right now, sorry I do not see a camera. But I blame myself for leaving the Temptation out that way.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +5,939 / 10
    Great trip report, glad you decided to not cancel and that the info you found here re the hurricane (or lack thereof) was accurate. Cute family, how old is your youngest? Our daughter will be 3 in December.

Good to hear the sea and beach got steadily better as the trip went on, I havent seen it since the day after the hurricane, we must get out there again sometime soon.

I think with the camera story this was a definite case of the two sides of Cancun:
    a) Oasis staff: We'll never see the guy again so who cares, I cant be bothered to look for it / I'll keep it and sell it.
    b) EP staff: We hope to have repeat business from this client and we'll do everything we can to make sure we provide the utmost service possible.

Far too many of the a) camp here but that makes it so much easier for those in the b) camp to be sucessful imho.

10. svtcobra242

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my youngest is 5 . Both are pretty small for their age.
    My oldest will be turning 8, and she only looks like 5.

as far as your comments about the hotel and EP, YOU ARE VERY CORRECT. that was exactly the way it happened. Oasis could care less and EP did everything possible to help. It's OK. Im just glad I enjoyed my trip

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice