trip report 2/17-2/21

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by massholes, Feb 24, 2014.

1. massholes

massholes Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    little background on us, late 20's second time in cancun, first stay was at Riu cancun. My fourth all-inclusive 2 being in punta cana.

Check in- The worst part of the trip. The women didn't seem to really know what she was doing and we had to struggle with s large language barrier. One someone showed her how to run a credit card for our upgrade we finally went on our way. (almost an hour)

Resort- Very clean and attractive. Music by the pool playing all day but not so you can't talk to people. the pool with the swim up bar is the "party pool" with aqua zumba and other things going on. maybe 6 round beds by the pool that get scooped up really early. the other pool is the "quiet pool" with lots of nice wooden beach lounges around it.

Beach- The beach is long and wide. the water is shallow and gets to about 4 1/2 ft at the rope. when i first heard this i was bummed but it was awesome. we spent most of our days on the beach and in the water. lots of good people watching and made plenty of friends on the beach.

Food- The buffet in the morning was ok, smallest of any all inclusive places i have been. like everyone else on here NO BACON AND NO FRIES!!!! what i did like was that you didn't need to make reservations for the restaurants in the morning (except white box). usually we would only get to go to 2 restaurants at other resorts. our favorite was Maki Taco. we did sushi at lunch one day and it was good. just walk up and put your name on the waiting list like any restaurant at home.

Drinks-Good, looks like they probably refill name brand bottles but i really don't care, the bacardi bottle looked like it had been to hell and back every day! we tipped a dollar most of the times we went up but we also bring large reusable cups. once i ask for more tequila in a drink and boy i got it!.

Room- Was nice, renovated with balcony. few small things: broken bathroom knob, fridge in a cabinet can't cool anything with doors closed, found a green leafy substance behind on of the paintings haha (left it for the next person your welcome), definitely could of used more water after boozing all day but we mad it.

the cons- Hot tub situation here sucks. they have 4 but only 2 of them work and they are only 2person hot tubs. they got the other 2 larger tubs online the day after we crashed the "spa's" tubs and security asked us to leave. now these 4 tubs that are free have to be filled with a faucet next it before you can use it. once we finally got one had to fight with the stopper for 10 minutes to get the tub to hold water, we had to wait another 30 minutes for it to fill up. buffet food could use a little attention, not bad but not good. we only did breakfast and lunch once at it. more seats outside to eat at buffet and restaurants. i don't want to eat inside when it 80* and sunny outside on vacation.

all in all we would would go here again, hope the check in and food got a little attention but from the looks of it things are falling into place here. we had fun, drank a ton, ate a ton and laughed a ton. Don't sweat it if you booked this place, not a "bad" resort at all.

2. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the TR. Did the resort have any signs posted yet about no photography at the topless-optional pool? Was there any issues of not having enough bartenders? I'm asking because these seem to be somewhat common issues as of late.

3. lisakevin

lisakevin Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    They do not have any signs up yet in regards to the picture taking, however the security around the pool will not allow it. If they see someone with a camera they tell them to put it away. The bartending is no where near as bad as what you read!! Yes they have a line up but they are very fast and good. The problem has been that the water is not warm enough so the swim up bar has no one because nobody is in the water. Soon that will change and there won't be any line ups. Have no worries the place is wonderful. Some of these reviews don't make sense. These people should be going to a 5 stars no here.

4. StewKris2000

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lisakevin, thanks for the answers!
    We're not 5-star types either, just want to make sure that certain amenities are as advertised. If the bar service was lacking, we were considering investing in those Bubba Mugs that are all the rage now.

5. massholes

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the line at the pool/beach bar was maybe 4-5 people deep at the most but always chatted with people in line next to u and didn't wait more then 5min for a drink. read about the picture debate on here. We took pictures at the beach and around the resort but was a respectful i could be. got no topless ladies in the background and never had my phone pointed in anyone's direction other then my girl. its not a 5 star resort, didn't pay for one but still had a blast!

6. massholes

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We did have the iced coffee cup style reusable cups, but thats because a 8 oz cup last seconds in my hand on a sunny beach!

7. lisakevin

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Yes you do need the big bubba mug. They are a must. And you can also fill them and bring them back to your room. That's always a necessity when I pack. Lol. ****Lisa****

8. StewKris2000

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lisakevin, we may invest in the Bubba Mugs, but the problem i see is that they may cause us to be HAMMERED by 4 pm!! On second thought, we can wait in line!

9. A_oasisRP

A_oasisRP Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ••
    About the NO PICTURE policy, it is written on the big sign of the pool rules and security is always around to ensure your privacy.

10. lisakevin

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    That may be why I only seen 4 out of 7 nights at the coyote bar!!!lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice