Travel Immunizations

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Sashaann, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Sashaann

Sashaann Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello- Husband & I are planning a trip to Cancun the beginning of January. Staying in the hotel zone. I was checking out the cdc website for immunization info, what's the risk for Malaria in Cancun? What's the weather usually like in January? I hope it's warm! :D

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Malaria risk near the Caribbean in Mexico is next to zero. You need to hang out inland, in the jungle, to have any risk of it. I've lived here for almost 6 years and have yet to hear of a case of malaria here.

January will be nice in the daytime and cool in the evenings, or freezing cold by local standards...

3. Sashaann

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks River Girl for the info! Have you heard of any reports of Hep A which is another shot that is recommended (but expensive!) We are looking forward to this much needed vacation in a warmer climate, It's only about 20-25 degrees here right now!

4. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say your just as likely to get that in the States as abroad. I have never had a shot to go the Mexico, nor ever contracted it.

I donate blood regularly and they ask if I have been to Mexico I say yes to Cancun and then they want to know if I have been to the jungle. If I had been I dont think they would let me donate. But if your in Cancun no problem. I have never had a shot for malaria either.

If cool is mid 60's BRING IT ON!!!!! Thats shorts and t-shirt weather.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We both got Hep A shots before moving here. And I think if you plan to eat in local small (shitty) restaurants that it's not a bad idea. If you are staying mostly in your resort and are eating in well-established restaurants then forget the Hep A shot. I've never heard of a case of Hep A here. A doc here told me that most Mexicans are naturally immune to Hep A, no idea if that's true.

Most tourists don't get any shots before coming here.

6. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think about all you'll find in Cancun, is Dengue Fever. (there are two types, A & B) But even that is rare, if you are close to the beach. The husband of a friend of ours had what appeared to be the milder case of it when I was there this past October. What's more, this is more of a Summertime affliction, during the wet season. You should have no problems in January.

The only other thing I have ever heard about (on another forum) is Typhoid Fever....but I think the chances of that are very rare in the Cancun area, and have never heard of a case of it there.

7. Sashaann

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank You all for the information! You have helped ease my mind!

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    In the UK, Doctors advise that there are no required vaccinations, but Hep A and Typhoid are recommended plus an up to date Tetanus (but that applies World over). It may have changed, but when I had them 5 years ago they were free so it wasnt just a case of looking to sell something.

Re Typhoid my wife had it many years ago here and was very poorly, I also understand Mat from this forum had a mild case recently and our daughter was vaccinated against it (she was born in Cancun). So I wouldnt totally overlook that one.

Certainly Malaria is not a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice