Transfer from airport to hotel zone without reservation

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Meccathor, May 6, 2008.

1. Meccathor

Meccathor Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, I'm heading down to cancun in two days, and was wondering if there are share vans at the airport that i can take to the hotel zone without a reservation?

The reason that I can't make a reservation is that I'm flying on standby down there (I work for the airline, so free airfare!) and I'm not positive when I'm getting there during the day or what flight I'm going to take.

If a van isn't an option without a reservation, what are my other options?

How much would I expect to pay for a taxi from the airport to the Grand Oasis Playa?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes you can catch a shared van with no prior reservation. After you have cleared immigration, customs and baggage claim....you will hit the button for a red or green light. Once you've done that and are motioned forward, you will see various stalls all down the hallway. There will be folks looking official walking up to you offering transportation. If they walk up to you and try to pull you over to their stall, they are more than likely timeshare folks. Go to one of the stalls that says "taxi" where they are standing behind the desk and not approaching you. They can sell you a ticket for shared van without the offer of "free stuff", etc....and sales pitch.

The cost for a shared van to Playa is $24usd

Michelle

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mec,

My buddy Michelle was up late and is a bit foggy and sometimes things are not clearly seen in a fog.

Actually, you clear Immigration, then go to Baggage Claim if you have checked baggage, then to Customs. They probably will scan your checked baggage, but not always. Then you do the red light / green light button and if it comes up red, you get to let them look inside your luggage.

At ths point you have "cleared" Customs. From here you walk through automatice glass doors. Avis, Hertz and the others are dead ahead. Make a mandatory right and then along the same wall as the car rental booths you will see 2 or 3 booths operated by Greyline. I think the sign says Official Transportation. They will hook you up in a shared van. Greyline is a huge company and they are more than reputable.

Or, as Michelle says, find a sign that says Taxi. There are literally dozens of little stands you will come to that are very helpful folks who you will find are not there to help you but to help themselves. These will be OPC's trying to get you to their resort for a time share presentation. But along the walls you can find transportation sales counters.

Good luck and have fun.

4. Meccathor

Meccathor Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the help!

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PS

Expect to pay about $10 US to get to your hotel. Tip $1 or $2.

The $24 is to Playa del Carmen, about 45 minutes to the south.

6. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the shared van to the hotel zone is $12.00 per person.

7. Mojito

Mojito Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is always someone right outside from Entertainment Plus / USA Services and they could also help you for a private ride at a reasonable price. Check out their website at www.entertainment-plus.com for pricing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice