Tourism Writing Opportunities in English?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunWordWhiz, May 15, 2009.

1. CancunWordWhiz

CancunWordWhiz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola otra vez mis amigos.

It's getting closer to my relocation to Cancun and I'm looking for supplemental work. I would like to offer my marketing communication (writing) services for hire to help promote tourism in Cancun.

Given the state of the MX economy right now and the downturn in tourism, I could certainly assist with written English promotional pieces for resorts and travel agencies. I have 20 years of marketing writing experience with a B.A. in English.

Does anyone know of any contacts in this field who could use my services? I'll be in Cancun in June.

Muchas gracias!

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You and your talents are much needed!!

That being said, I worked for a company for over 15 years, am a native English speaker and have worked as an English teacher and correcting and editing texts before and they do not ask me to write or correct texts, prefering that non-English speakers write the texts--in English.
    (I have my theories but I do not understand it but then I am not paid to understand it! LOL)

I wait until they publish something and then correct it. I also correct texts in Spanish--again, after they have been published. I had to set up my own companies just so I could correct texts!

Good luck. I am sure there must be someone or some company that wants a foreigner to come in and correct them. Good luck finding them.

Do keep in touch and when you get here, let us know. This is not a particularly good time to be looking for a job here with all the drug wars and swine flu--or rumours thereof. But you will do fine. Easy it might not be but simple it is. Good luck and there are people here who will help you.

3. CancunWordWhiz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Much Needed Talents

Hi Jim in Cancun.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I'm a bit discouraged by the latest round of *&^%$#@! going on in Mexico. I've been planning my relocation since last October, and just when I'm ready to make the move...BAM!

Anyway, thanks for your input. Any chance you have any leads, since you already do this for a living? Or maybe you could use some help on some of your projects? Know anyone who knows someone who may needs someone? LOL!

I've heard good things about you, by the way, and I look forward to meeting you.

Best,

4. CancunWordWhiz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Typo

Oops, sorry for the typo in paragraph two. Some people on the boards are very touchy about that. (Ha, ha.)

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll vouch for Christina's writing ability. We've exchanged a boatload of email and she's quite expressive. She can even rant with perfect grammar.

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We can visit when you get here. As I mentioned, things are really slow now but from time to time I do have creative writing work for sales and marketing campaigns. And a recommendation from RG goes a long way.

7. CancunWordWhiz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the Kudos!

Hey RiverGirl!

That was very nice of you; I'm equally impressed with your written self-expression.

Thank you too, Jim, for any connections or work that you may be able to share with me.

I look forward to meeting you both soon!

Best,

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Christina - Thanks. My parents met when they were both reporting for the same newspaper, so being able to write decently was expected of their children. (Jeez, does that sound arrogant, it wasn't meant to be.)

9. CancunWordWhiz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Arrogant?

Silly RiverGirl. Of course, that doesn't sound arrogant!

It was the same in my family. My father, his siblings, and his parents were immigrants from Western Europe, so learning to speak and write English properly was ingrained in us as youngsters too.

Plus, I LOVE to write (if you can't already tell). I'm also told I like to talk a lot... Ha, ha.

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll be in Cancun (unless I'm kidnapped or worse) in about 2.5 weeks, and I'm really looking forward to meeting you.

All my best!

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Happy planning Miss Chris, good luck in your travels!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice