Top Ten Tips For a Happy Life (in LATAM)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (From a newsletter I receive. Good stuff for people living in or thinking of living in Latin America--or anywhere really!)

"Top Ten Tips For a Happy Life

International Living Postcards--your daily escape
    http://www.internationalliving.com

Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2006
    Panama City, Panama

Dear International Living Reader,

I've been an expat in Latin America for more than five years, most of that spent in Mexico. I've learned a lot in that time, most notably:

1. The world is a big place, and the vast majority of it doesn't work or think remotely like the U.S. Get used to it.

2. There are two interesting types of expat who relocate to foreign countries--those who love the culture they've moved to; and those who hate the culture they've moved from. The former are fun to talk to but often see the world through rose-colored glasses. The latter are fun to talk to but often make annoying drunks.

3. Outside the U.S., patience and personal contact are often required to get things done--even simple things that might only take a quick phone call in the U.S.

4. Learning, or at least trying to learn, the local language is a huge help in almost every way.

5. Personal initiative on the part of bureaucrats, clerks, and other functionaries in Latin America is a rare commodity for a variety of reasons. Therefore, don't expect the girl at the telephone office or the guy behind the bank teller window to go out of their way to creatively solve your particular problem. That's not in their job description. Their job is to correctly fill out paperwork, period. To get tricky problems solved fast, establish a cordial and respectful relationship with the highest ranking person in the office.

6. Many people in Latin America have no concept of the value of their own time. They know the value of labor, they know the value of products, but they will not complain if they've been waiting in line all day to file a form with a government office only to be told that the office is closing and to come back tomorrow. They will wander away quietly, and come back tomorrow.

7. You and your problems are not as important as your Mexican friend's family, community, and religion. The fact that you may be paying them big money for something will not change this.

8. Mañana does not mean tomorrow. When someone tells you they will do something for you mañana, they mean that they will do it as soon after today as they conveniently can. Which could be tomorrow. Or next week. Or never.

9. Eat where the locals eat.

10. Friendship is the key to a happy life. If you can travel and live abroad for years at a time with your spouse/partner and not kill each other, then you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that your spouse/partner is also your best friend.

Dan Prescher
    Roving Latin America Property Scout, International Living

Editor's note: Dan's spouse/partner is our own Latin America Insider, Suzan Haskins. Does her top 10 list match Dan's? Find out in this recent members-only issue of International Living."

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorite is number 7.

I think this is one reason why there's such a clash of cultures in Cancun...it caters so heavily to foreigners, yet is still essentially Mexican that this one gets brought up ad nauseum in complaints about service in Cancun.

3. gjp

gjp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great post, Jim - ! All should be seriously considered when thinking about moving outside of one's native country. It's also a nice grounding point for those who have been living outside of their native country for some time.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to frame that. Or at least make it a sticky.

Thanks as always Jim!

5. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Done!! At least the sticky part.

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Karan, it's brilliant! Everyone considering relocating must read it.

7. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excellent post!!!

Michelle

8. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    amazing post!

9. WebDesigner

WebDesigner Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good one! and sooooo right!

10. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've found just the opposite. I have made 3 trips to immigration, which makes the DMV in the states seem like a cake walk. Every trip, at least 3-4 people try to cut the line stating, "They only need to ask a question."

No $hit, amigo. Me too and I've been standing here for 2 hours so get behind me.

My favorite is, "Dos minutos". I'm trying to determine exactly how to convert my time to Mexican time and its difficult. 2 minutes has meant 15 minutes, 2 hours and never.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice